Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB at Akron moved to JAN 1 @ 2 pm

UB92

Just now, Tee4three said:

Hot take: the team plays better basketball when one of mballa or williams are out

Not saying they are a problem (they aren't) just that ball movement and communication seem better 

We are going deep into the bench. AT is trying to find a combo or spark. Ty Perry, Hardnett, Jones. I hope someone catches fire. They are playing well, making good passes and most of the shots have been good, even if they don't fall. Williams seems to have a little spark today so far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

Hot take: the team plays better basketball when one of mballa or williams are out

Not saying they are a problem (they aren't) just that ball movement and communication seem better 

It’s the Carmelo Anthony effect. Both players are slow deliberate offense players. When the ball comes their way tempo slows and both ball and player movement stop. This team was good when we didn’t run plays for Mballa, we just let him eat off O-boards. But as he’s grown as a player he wants more iso.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 121Merrimac said:

Here's another... Miami is playing down to their competition. (hearing that UB will be shorthanded)

Edit: Akron.  Miami's on the other screen, lol

I guess I forgot the Akron coach is the dude I hate the most in our conference.

• Like 1

Just now, skrabukes said:

How could you forget that???

On a better note, this game is like night and day from Wednesday.  Team basketball,  team defense. Amazing the difference. 

I don't know, I'm chastising myself for it. They are playing much better and everyone is helping out. Skogman is playing very well on both ends so far.

That last play before this break was a perfect example of issues that have plagued us. We got a defensive rebound, you could see Thorpe telling them to push tempo up court. We did. Blocker then turned the all over on the wing. We have to find that right mix of tempo but playing under control. It’s an oxymoron…slow down but play fast. 

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

That last play before this break was a perfect example of issues that have plagued us. We got a defensive rebound, you could see Thorpe telling them to push tempo up court. We did. Blocker then turned the all over on the wing. We have to find that right mix of tempo but playing under control. It’s an oxymoron…slow down but play fast. 

I like calling it pace and rhythm

I feel like the team has forgotten a key element that oats always preached about having the ball touch the paint on every possession

• Like 1

Watching game.  

Guys are playing hard.  

Perry needs more arc on his shot because his line drive misses create fast break opportunities on the other end.  At least if he misses it with arc, it won’t come off the rim as fast!   Or maybe he should shoot less…

4 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Maybe actually giving everyone a few minutes and playing together can galvanize this team. Too early to call, but what a difference!

I hope Whitesell is watching and self scouting. Figuring out how to best utilize these chess  pieces. How to integrate guys. These are big time minutes for guys. 

Foul trouble is gonna be an issue in the second half. Keeping a revolving door of players in the game will be a good way to neutralize that 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

No, he is not the problem. When playing his role of offensive rebounding, solid D and second chance points he dominates. I just don' think he is a set play type player.

Couldn’t have said it any better. Completely agree. Hopefully he personally builds off the Miami game. That was his best game possibly of his career. Being selfless would be just that. Selfish would be trying to impress draft scouts.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I hope Whitesell is watching and self scouting. Figuring out how to best utilize these chess  pieces. How to integrate guys. These are big time minutes for guys. 

Foul trouble is gonna be an issue in the second half. Keeping a revolving door of players in the game will be a good way to neutralize that 

I would hope whitesell was apart of the game plan to involve everyone but that might be giving a lot of credit to all involved lol