Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB at Akron moved to JAN 1 @ 2 pm

UB92

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

This line up has a lot of guys standing still on offense

Segu williams Perry brewton Jack

This is a classic case of why we need a big on the court. There was no screen setting. No slashing. At least when a big is on the floor screens up top are set to trigger the offense. Akron sagged the defense and dares Jack and Perry to beat them. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

F-ing BS. Shut up B. "That's a great call". What kind of wuss society are we? The dude is standing on the Akron bench (illegally, nothing done by the ref, clapping a foot away from Williams). He says a word and douchebag Stewart Ts him. What a joke league. 5 fouls on Akron all half. Embarrassing  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Erie County said:

So you can taunt the player and then you call Williams? 

What a horribly officiated half

The Akron team are a bunch of bullies and babies just like their coach, but apparently the referees like their act. It wasn't even the ref next to Williams that called it.

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

F-ing BS. Shut up B. "That's a great call". What kind of wuss society are we? The dude is standing on the Akron bench (illegally, nothing done by the ref, clapping a foot away from Williams). He says a word and douchebag Stewart Ts him. What a joke league. 5 fouls on Akron all half. Embarrassing  

Bail out call to end the half too. But we gotta start hitting FTs. 2-6 at the line. Akron plus 9 at the line alone. With foul trouble on the horizon this will be an issue

Certainly unbalanced fouls, but some bad fouls as well. 

Akron didn’t play well, but got bailed out by some questionable foul calls and out of bounds calls.  They are only down by 4.  

UB played hard, but went into a funk towards the end.  Hopefully they will come out strong in the second half. 

3 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is a classic case of why we need a big on the court. There was no screen setting. No slashing. At least when a big is on the floor screens up too are set to trigger the offense. Akron sagged the defense and dares Jack and Perry to beat them. 

I like the idea of those 5 

Have 4 guys who should be great at slashing and cutting and not one of them made a run through the defense

2 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I like the idea of those 5 

Have 4 guys who should be great at slashing and cutting and not one of them made a run through the defense

Hard to slash when the defense collapses the paint. Perry hasn’t shown he can shoot. Jack hasn’t made a 3 in forever. Can’t live like that unless guys start hitting 3s. Which stretches the defense. 

2 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Another 18 points let up under 4:30. The team runs out of gas

Oh and zero bench points, 6 fouls, and 0-4 shooting

I expected more out of Hardnett. Dude was starting at the end of last season. And had a few productive games against UNT and WKU. Very surprised.

3 minutes ago, Erie County said:

I did like the energy and passing. These funks and ruts are problematic. That's where you need that guy like CJ that can just put them on his back and make a basket to get everyone back in the groove.

1 minute ago, Erie County said:

Honest question: should we count brewton as bench?

I know he started today but why is it that he can contribute as a starter but when he is coming off the bench ub gets little from him

What I'm getting at is that I don't think bench talent is an issue. I think its player usage and rotation issues

(Also realize brewton isn't the best example here)

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

I know he started today but why is it that he can contribute as a starter but when he is coming off the bench ub gets little from him

What I'm getting at is that I don't think bench talent is an issue. I think its player usage and rotation issues

Maybe he's the reverse Perkins. Perk needed to come off the bench, maybe Brewton needs to be on the court to begin the game to be fully engaged. He has played a decent game, hit some good shots and plays with energy. Sometimes, though, he plays out of control.

4 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

This is an excellent post. I’ve been critical of Whitesell and his rotations and lineup tinkering. I think in Brewton’s case he comes off the bench and thinks he’s the man. Whereas playing with Williams and Segu it forces him to slow down and be a contributor. Which is better suited for him. Point being…integration. Playing along side the stars helps you adjust and integrate. Something that needs to be done with Jones and Blocker.

Edited by DooleyBull06

4 minutes ago, Erie County said:

No you cant do that because the starters conceivably can get into rhythm with more minutes. Brewton has actually been an OK starter. He's been a catastrophe off the bench. he is 100% the most needed shots players Ive seen at UB in some time. He just isn't a bench style player. 

To me, the misses at guard have been grand and im seriously worried for the fall with that unit. 

Swap Brewton for Jack in the starting lineup maybe?