Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB at Akron moved to JAN 1 @ 2 pm

UB92

9 minutes ago, Chet said:

No doubt the fouls discrepancy was bad. Hard to argue your point, but we played poorly too. 

No doubt. But it’s hard to win when you’re depending on guys who don’t get meaningful minutes. And your top two scorers aren’t on the floor. And the tallest player on the floor is Jack. Guarding Ali Ali or Freeman. It was all just too much to overcome. We had 17 FTs. But they had 40! That’s a lot of fouls called period. The refs mucked this game up. When it was free flowing we were up 14. 

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Amazing how we had constant talk after all the other bad losses and we haven't had a comment in 3 days since this game ended. I hope this doesn't mean our fanbase is tapping out.

What is left to say? They underperformed and lost and we hope they figure it out.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

What is left to say? They underperformed and lost and we hope they figure it out.

Well, outside of the WKU game I'd say they've underperformed every game this season. I'm just surprised at how quickly the chatter disappeared. I guess there's no point in arguing anymore since it's been proven that this season is a failure thus far and there's no point rehashing anything until the MAC tourney.

• Like 1

I would be happy to comment, but have nothing to say. The kids are underperforming, I think the staff either cannot motivate or their techniques do not work on this particular group. We are not as tough as we used to be. We still rebound pretty well, but we are not taking charges, we get beat on 50/50 plays way more than in the past. They don't have the chip on their shoulder as an underdog anymore and they haven't transitioned to be a team that takes care of business as a top tier team. They just roll out and expect to win. In years past we were scrapping to beat the big dogs. It's a different mentality playing from the top that scratching from the bottom.

I also find it very interesting how personal FLJ seems to take criticism of the MBB team. I assume she really likes JW (and I do too) and with her son being on the team (and underperforming most of the year) she always seems to be an early deflector on Twitter of any negative threads.

That is all, hopefully the next game will be our A game. I'll root for them and expect them to win every game moving forward, so I hope eventually my optimism is rewarded 🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clodney said:

Amazing how we had constant talk after all the other bad losses and we haven't had a comment in 3 days since this game ended. I hope this doesn't mean our fanbase is tapping out.

I was going to post on the game since I was there, but wondered if there really was anything left to say that haven’t already been said.  

But since there is a desire for content (!), I will add some things. 

I remember when Williams was a Freshman and he hit a 3…and started yapping at the other team’s bench.  He got a T and Oats went ballistic.  He called a timeout and pulled him from the game and didn’t look at him as he walked to the bench.  He didn’t bench him for the rest of the game, though, but the message seemed to be received. 

Now our senior leader, Williams hits a 3 and yaps.  He gets a T.  No repercussions, at least visible or during the game.  

It’s like that.  

——

I also remember a play during the game where Perry walked to the corner in the second half and there was no one within a mile of him.  It is not that Akron didn’t see him - they didn’t feel it necessary to guard him and played 5 v 4.  We settled for a guarded shot and missed it.   I am not really sure what he brings to the table this year or in the future.  

——

While many UB fouls were suspect, Hardnett’s were legit.  I could see them from the stands.  At least he got his money’s worth.  Skogman did not.  

—-

One poster’s recent conclusion that UB’s team is less than the sum of the individual parts is probably the most concise description of the Whitesell era.  

• Like 3

The very underwhelming start to our season certainly falls on the shoulders of Coach Whitesell and his staff. It has been nothing short of very disappointing. Many individuals have put up numbers. Mballa's stats vs Miami were incredible, but I don't think he played a great game. He was forcing 3's and his atrocious foul shooting were probably some of the the reasons we lost.

We shot a ton of threes under Oats just like now. The very big difference between then vs. now was how the ball moves. The ball doesn't move nearly enough. Way too much Iso and contested shots.

Defensively, we are not forcing enough turnovers. I would imagine our fast beak scoring is down considerably from previous years emcee though I am uncertain of those numbers.

These players have the talent. If they can figure out their rolls and get to it, maybe there is time to turn it around.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, UB92 said:

I was going to post on the game since I was there, but wondered if there really was anything left to say that haven’t already been said.  

But since there is a desire for content (!), I will add some things. 

I remember when Williams was a Freshman and he hit a 3…and started yapping at the other team’s bench.  He got a T and Oats went ballistic.  He called a timeout and pulled him from the game and didn’t look at him as he walked to the bench.  He didn’t bench him for the rest of the game, though, but the message seemed to be received. 

Now our senior leader, Williams hits a 3 and yaps.  He gets a T.  No repercussions, at least visible or during the game.  

It’s like that.  

——

I also remember a play during the game where Perry walked to the corner in the second half and there was no one within a mile of him.  It is not that Akron didn’t see him - they didn’t feel it necessary to guard him and played 5 v 4.  We settled for a guarded shot and missed it.   I am not really sure what he brings to the table this year or in the future.  

——

While many UB fouls were suspect, Hardnett’s were legit.  I could see them from the stands.  At least he got his money’s worth.  Skogman did not.  

—-

One poster’s recent conclusion that UB’s team is less than the sum of the individual parts is probably the most concise description of the Whitesell era.  

Great post!