Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo/EMU 2.17.22 (12pm)

UBinMD

17 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is gonna be a game where it might be easy for a let down. The guys gotta bring the energy and put a bad team on their heels early. 

I’m putting the onus on our bench. Those guys bring the energy. I always see Saleh and Brock yelling and jumping up and down. They whole bench usually appears engaged. We will probably be able to hear them tomorrow! Go Bulls!

21 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Never easy playing at EMU. Won’t be much of a difference between tomorrow at noon and tipping off with their normal crowd. Let’s hope UB is energized because that building has been known to get some ugly performances from road teams.

UB has had some ugly performances there.  I can remember a time about 15 or so years ago on a Sunday evening (IIRC) and I think they lost by double digits...and UB was a good squad that year.   Who wants to play on the road with a long road trip on a Sunday night?

EMU in a mostly empty gym at noon?   We are 11 point favorites.  But EMU just lost to UB by 48 points.  

EMU is not a good team, but this could be tricky if we keep them in the game.  After all, we lost to Canisius, so all outcomes are in play.

This is an interesting test for this UB team at the moment.  Can they take care of business and control the game throughout or will it be the typical ebbs and flows with stretches of flat on the game flow?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Hope everyone's alarm went off on time (including Whitesell, would be a bad look for him to miss the game).

Spread had moved from 9 to 11 overnight. I don't think the empty arena/weird game time should matter much, we beat this team by 38 at home nine days ago.

A start like we had at BG is key, get out to a good lead and the be aggressive on D to setup transition baskets. Hopefully this will be a solid win where they can create their own energy.

17 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

A start like we had at BG is key, get out to a good lead and the be aggressive on D to setup transition baskets. Hopefully this will be a solid win where they can create their own energy.

Agreed. Hoping to see a full, deep rotation today even if it means winning by 10 instead of blowing them out. Whitesell needs to earn his paycheck this next stretch by balancing locking in wins with getting as much development/confidence time for guys 6 through 9.

EMU is an interesting team for a cellar dweller, as Heath's cupboard isn't bare. Farrakhan was a Rondo-level recruit for them. Their freshman bigs, Mo Njie and Yusuf Jihad, both looked solid against us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Hope everyone's alarm went off on time (including Whitesell, would be a bad look for him to miss the game).

8 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I don't see Whitesell in that picture.  It must mean that he's skipping the game.😏

Rumors swirling...

• Haha 1

Jeenathan has been at least starting drives to his right which is a nice development. Guys play his left hand so heavily and rightfully so. Can always spin back to his preferred hand.

Mballa with two space cadet turnovers trying to start the break after defensive boards. Losing plays come March when the margins are razor thin.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

One complaint thus far…too many turnovers. Constant theme. A lot of them are careless and lack of valuing the basketball.

I have second complaint, which I tend to do, the referees are ridiculous and inconsistent. They are painful to watch.

Looks like the BG scoreboard operator made the trip to Ypsilanti!

• Like 1

Just now, UBinMD said:

I have second complaint, which I tend to do, the referees are ridiculous and inconsistent. They are painful to watch.

Looks like the BG scoreboard operator made the trip to Ypsilanti!

No doubt about the refs so far. The game isn’t even that physical. That call when McBride went to the line was atrocious. He wasn’t fouled. 

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The better teams in the conference will make us pay for those turnovers. Must improve on this as the month progresses.

Could definitely be "the death nail" according to these commentators.

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

No doubt about the refs so far. The game isn’t even that physical. That call when McBride went to the line was atrocious. He wasn’t fouled. 

I thought the same, but none of our guys complained at all about it which seemed odd.

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

The better teams in the conference will make us pay for those turnovers. Must improve on this as the month progresses.

Not to make excuses, but when I played, it is sometimes very hard to play bad teams and not commit turnovers and make terrible plays. The ineptitude and frenetic play is very hard to deal with. It throw you off, definitely counterintuitive, but real.

2 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Not to make excuses, but when I played, it is sometimes very hard to play bad teams and not commit turnovers and make terrible plays. The ineptitude and frenetic play is very hard to deal with. It throw you off, definitely counterintuitive, but real.

I totally understand this but this is a concern. This is a game we should win and games like this is where the players think oh we can show boat and be a little careless bc we will win anyway. Then bad habits are created. And those bad habits carry over. That said a lot of the turnovers were the second unit.