Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

In Search For Identity

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Why do you expect several transfers? While I'm not saying that it can't happen (or won't happen), what would lead us to believe that we will have an outflow of players? Last year would've been a prime year for it to happen with the coaching changes and it didn't happen (outside of the signees).

They waited a year to see how playing time and system played out, I wouldn't blame them. 

I too also expect at least 2-3 out of the program. Brock or Fagan are gimmies to me. 

Hopefully they are able to keep Robinson and Freeman as they had ties with Jenkins. 

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

They waited a year to see how playing time and system played out, I wouldn't blame them.

Exactly this. It's certain that the program's recent visits to the NCAA Tournament were a big component of the recruiting pitch.  If there is a quick exit in Cleveland, some of the players  (likely the guys posting their personal accolades on social media after losses) might get antsy and look at their options.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

Exactly this. It's certain that the program's recent visits to the NCAA Tournament were a big component of the recruiting pitch.  If there is a quick exit in Cleveland, some of the players  (likely the guys posting their personal accolades on social media after losses) might get antsy and look at their options.

They both are signed right?  They can back out now for no reason (no coaching change or anything) with no repercussions? 

If that is true, whats the significance of anyone signing in the first place?

Edited by Gxtrex

59 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

They both are signed right?  They can back out now for no reason (no coaching change or anything) with no repercussions? 

If that is true, whats the significance of anyone signing in the first place?

They’re both signed. Speculating that we’re going to lose recruits because we’re not having as good of a season as recent years is ridiculous 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 961819 said:

They’re both signed. Speculating that we’re going to lose recruits because we’re not having as good of a season as recent years is ridiculous 

I meant could they leave if signed? If so, what's the purpose of signing? 

11 minutes ago, Gxtrex said:

I meant could they leave if signed? If so, what's the purpose of signing? 

Now I have no idea who leaves and who doesn't. But to clarify the rules:

UB would have to "let them out" if they request it. However, UB has never made someone stay, even after signing. 

A signature on signing day doesn't mean anything. It is no different than a verbal, except the team does have the power to decline letting them out. Which almost never happens, not at this university at least.

8 minutes ago, 961819 said:

In addition not really useful to worry about.  The role they are expected to play is unchanged based on how we did this year.  They should be a big part of the team and their performance as part of that team will determine how many NCAA tournaments we get to while they are here. Seems like enough to stick with their commitment.

On 3/1/2020 at 5:05 AM, BullBoy said:

Not disagreeing here, but doesn't alot of this fall on Oats and Hodgson.  Nate maybe always knew he was out after this past season and didn't really do a very good job setting this team up for long-term success.  If we want Jim to build this team into his group, that takes time.  So for us to have 18 wins in a season with no leaders and maybe a team that doesn't fit with Jim's style of coaching is actually pretty impressive.

Really? Oats has what was perceived as a top notch recruiting class.  He built teams in far more difficult circumstances than faced the program after his departure. 

8 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

In addition not really useful to worry about.  The role they are expected to play is unchanged based on how we did this year.  They should be a big part of the team and their performance as part of that team will determine how many NCAA tournaments we get to while they are here. Seems like enough to stick with their commitment.

You’re right. Whatever happens is beyond our control. However it would be naive to think recruits might not have second thoughts if they perceive the trajectory of the program is not heading in the direction they perceived when they signed. Then again it might be as you suggest that they won’t have any doubt and remain committed because they’ll have a lot of opportunity. 

I'm holding onto hope that come tournament time in Cleveland someone will step up out of nowhere that is least expected.  We all remember how bad Jeremy Harris' shooting was pretty much all last year.  Maybe it was just me but I did not expect him to really get it back and then he ends up winning the tournament MVP.  Point being, someone may surprise us and just take over all tournament and get us back to the big dance.  If I had to take a guess at who, my bet is on Williams, maybe Graves, maybe no one.  Who knows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UB85 said:

You’re right. Whatever happens is beyond our control. However it would be naive to think recruits might not have second thoughts if they perceive the trajectory of the program is not heading in the direction they perceived when they signed. Then again it might be as you suggest that they won’t have any doubt and remain committed because they’ll have a lot of opportunity. 

You are absolutely right that their is real possibility for second guessing to occur and it would be naive of me to think otherwise.  On paper, we have the best recruiting class in MAC that will play a huge role in how the team does during time with team, we have a good young core that you hope will improve each year.  You have a coach who has opportunity to do the same. So being best in MAC is still very much alive.

7 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

You are absolutely right that their is real possibility for second guessing to occur and it would be naive of me to think otherwise.  On paper, we have the best recruiting class in MAC that will play a huge role in how the team does during time with team, we have a good young core that you hope will improve each year.  You have a coach who has opportunity to do the same. So being best in MAC is still very much alive.

Well said!