Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

OHIO

ubbulls98

46 minutes ago, ubbulls98 said:

So uhhhhh, this next game is pretty huge, huh?

Toledo was a big win, no doubt. This game basically decides the East. I think our guys will be ready and hopefully get off to a stronger start. Rourke #2 is playing well, we need to contain him.

The idiots over at Bobcatattack sure are confident about their chances in this one. Check out this bulletin board material:

... let's face it - the Bulls can't win in Athens, 

Buffalo is about to get a very rude awakening. They have been very fortunate in the MAC thus far as they beat EMU with a backup QB, they pounded BG who simply never threatened, they barely squeaked past Miami with a backup QB on a last-second TD, and Toledo blew a 17-point fourth quarter lead as the Rockets had 6 turnovers. To UB's credit, they found ways to win, I'll give them that. But they're up against something much bigger here. Athens has been a house of horrors for Buffalo as they haven't won their in almost 15 years. In UB's last trip to OU, the Bulls entered the game 9-1 overall and a perfect 6-0 in the MAC, and got absolutely DESTROYED by Ohio, 52-17, on a team loaded with stars such as RB's Jarett Patterson and Kevin Marks, QB Tyree Jackson, WR's Anthony Johnson and Kyle Nunn, and a great OL. It didn't matter and it was a complete mismatch blowout. They just crumble and fall apart when they play in Athens. I don't expect to see another blowout type of a win for OU, but Ohio will win and this game will pave the way to Detroit for the Bobcats.

...the scoreboard will say Ohio with more points than Buffalo when the clock hits zero. This team is going to Detroit.

I didn't realize we haven't won in Athens in 15 years so that is a bit shocking. I really hope we don't have a let down game after that chaotic finish a few days ago. Mo better get them focused and make sure they realize what's on the line.

Well, they aren't wrong in that Athens is a rough place for UB to have to win.

But correct me if I'm wrong, even if the Bulls lose there are still 3 more MAC games.  UB could run the table and OU could lose to Miami, Ball State or BG.  I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion that this one game decides the East.

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Well, they aren't wrong in that Athens is a rough place for UB to have to win.

But correct me if I'm wrong, even if the Bulls lose there are still 3 more MAC games.  UB could run the table and OU could lose to Miami, Ball State or BG.  I just don't think it's a forgone conclusion that this one game decides the East.

Is it a forgone conclusion....no.  Does it give UB at least a 2 game advantage (with tiebreakers) with the three teams in striking distance of the top spot...YES

Best to handle their own business when its in front of them instead of relying on other teams to do it for them....

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

And... the locker room material has been forwarded.

So do we know the the travel plans yet for the team??

Last time, I believe they ended up flying to Columbus, staying there, then boarding a bus for the 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive before game time, got off the bus, sleep walked through the game, and got their asses handed to them 52-17....

UB hasnt won in Athens since 2008.  Many teams dont win in Athens for these Mid week MACtion games.  I havent really kept up with how things have played out for Ohio since that last game in 2018 as far as their winning percentage at Home in the Midweek games, but when I did look into it following that 2018 game, they do have an advantage (almost unfair) to forcing the away teams into crazy, un normal, travel just to get to the game, and it usually goes just as bad for other MAC teams as it did for UB in 2018.

This is one of those, at least for me, show-me games for the coaches more than the players.  Yes, the Toledo win was nice, but this game means alot more.  There is alot on the line.  Its one thing to have to worry about the Xs & Os on the field, add on top of that getting these guys motivated, aware of the situation, and keeping them hungry, focused, and ready as they walk off that bus from where ever they had to bus in from.

Is UB's roster worse than Ohio's?  No

Maybe the coaches can read quotes from BobcatAttack as the bus meanders along.....I mean what else is there to do for 2 hours....

4 hours ago, zigo230 said:

UB wins, UB is in with:

W vs CMU, any Kent loss, any BG loss

W vs CMU, W vs Akron

UB loses, UB needs to outpace Ohio by 1 win.

If UB, Ohio, BG are tied in conference record, if Ohio won their final game (vs BG) they win the three way tiebreaker and go to Detroit. BG wins that game, then we go next down the tiebreakers and go with record against the 4th place division opponent.

I'll put together rooting interests later this week, but basically if we beat an opponent we want them to keep winning. We obviously want Ohio to lose (this is a general rule of thumb no matter what the scenario or sport is), but BG is tough because they're within striking distance but we hold the H2H tiebreaker. Regardless take care of business ourselves.

Or to quote Al Davis, "Just Win, Baby"

• Like 2

Couldn’t agree more, take care of our own business and the rest takes care of itself. Can’t worry about the past now….the drubbing by Ohio in 2018, or the fact UB hasn’t won there since 2008 (or the fact Ohio hasn’t won a MAC football championship since 1968…is that really true?)

Crazy how the expectations for this team have shifted with the 5-game win streak. What started out after 0-3 as hoping we just win a game, has turned into hoping we finish the season strong and win the East. I’m just trying to enjoy each and every game in and of itself and watching the team improve. 

18 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

(or the fact Ohio hasn’t won a MAC football championship since 1968…is that really true?)

Confirmed….Ohio last won the MAC championship in 1968. Though, they’ve had only 1 losing season (3-9 in 2021) since 2009, with a 5-5 record in Bowl games during that span. Not too shabby

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/ohio

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/mac/

Edited by Bluebird96

4 hours ago, rma said:

UB wins, UB is in with:

W vs CMU, any Kent loss, any BG loss

W vs CMU, W vs Akron

UB loses, UB needs to outpace Ohio by 1 win.

If UB, Ohio, BG are tied in conference record, if Ohio won their final game (vs BG) they win the three way tiebreaker and go to Detroit. BG wins that game, then we go next down the tiebreakers and go with record against the 4th place division opponent.

I'll put together rooting interests later this week, but basically if we beat an opponent we want them to keep winning. We obviously want Ohio to lose (this is a general rule of thumb no matter what the scenario or sport is), but BG is tough because they're within striking distance but we hold the H2H tiebreaker. Regardless take care of business ourselves.

Or to quote Al Davis, "Just Win, Baby"

Bless you for figuring this out but as I was reading it, I was planning to quote Al Davis….no need I guess.

I haven't done my game analysis yet since we start our mid-week MACTION this Tuesday.  In fact, there isn't even a line I can find on the game yet.

At any rate, UB visits Athens.  The Bobcats are 3rd in the conference (through 4 conference games) in both offensive scoring and defensive scoring (UB is 2nd in both cats, by the way).

Alas, Ohio is last in the MAC (through 4 conference games) in yards allowed (481 yds/games), though second in yards gained per game.  A big theme for Ohio has been getting turnovers.  OU has gotten 10 turnovers the past four games, but has only turned the ball over twice.

Ohio's last game, a 24-17 win hosting NIU, they were outgained by the Huskies, but were more efficient on 3rd down to keep drives moving.   

The game before that, WMU self-destructed at home versus Ohio.  These are WMU second half drives: (they were down 20 - 14 at half)

• Downs (at Ohio 14)
  • Fumbled punt reception (at WMU 40)
  • Interception (at Ohio 19)
  • Interception (at WMU 12)
  • Interception (at Ohio 34)
  • Downs (at WMU 17)
  • Interception (at WMU 43)
  • Interception (at WMU 25)
  • 2 plays (end of game)

Remember...WMU is playing at home in this game against the (from a yards allowed perspective) the worst defense in the MAC.  

I would suspect that UB will have an opportunity to both move the football and score points against Ohio.

When Ohio has the ball, Rourke is the guy.  He's been more accurate this year than last and has a higher average yards per completion.  Basically, he's just been better.  And that isn't even counting his ability to run the football.  Rourke runs when he needs to.

UB got away with one last week, grabbing victory out of the jaws of defeat when Toledo imploded.  But that's why they play the game.  We saw a few years ago when UB played at Kent State that, sometimes, the momentum is too difficult to overcome.  At any rate, UB has some good skill players and they are always dangerous.  UB is getting better each week as guys are learning to play together.  Those other games...they are in the past.  It is a new team (on both sides of the ball) each week.

This should be another high-scoring affair and a close game.   I don't see UB getting blown out in this game.  Like the rest, one play here or there could make the difference.

Go Bulls!

• Like 2

Back on September 24th Ohio hosted FCS Fordham. 

Fordham ended the day with 640 total yards of offense (503 passing) and scored 52 points ( 7 TD's).   That's insane.

Ohio won the game 59-52 with the help of a 98 yd KO return TD and a late 42 yd fumble return TD.

Not sure what to make of that result.. no defense whatsoever.  The teams combined for 1,332 yds of offense..

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Fordham ended the day with 640 total yards of offense (503 passing) and scored 52 points ( 7 TD's).   That's insane.

Ohio won the game 59-52 with the help of a 98 yd KO return TD and a late 42 yd fumble return TD.

Not sure what to make of that result.. no defense whatsoever.  The teams combined for 1,332 yds of offense..

Was that an arena football game?

Why are Buffalo Bulls fans surprised by Ohio Bobcats fans? What do you think they going to say UB Bulls are wonderful? Frank Solich isn’t walking through the door at Athens Ohio Bobcats he was your Superman like Bill Belichick with the New England Patriots coach. It is over for the New England Patriots and over for the Ohio Bobcats football dynasty under Frank Solich. UB Bulls football caught up facilities wise with the UB field house and locker rooms. BSF prediction a good close game Buffalo Bulls 35, Ohio Bobcats 31 get ready to go bowling UB fans with 6 wins in a row in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zigo230 said:

And my analysis above doesn't even include OOC games.   Spoiler Alert:  Including the OOC games....Ohio is still last in the MAC in yards per game allowed (over 500, on average).   This is why those turnovers are so important.   Bend by not break, I guess!

FWIW, Ohio has played the easiest MAC schedule thus far, with their opponents (Kent, Akron, WMU & NIU) having a 5-12 combined record in conference games. By comparison, UB’s opponents are 11-8 in MAC games (11-4 vs teams not named Buffalo).  Also, Ohio gives up a lot of yards including 736 (!!) to Kent.  I envision a high-scoring game, something like 37-34. Should be a good test for the Bobcats and Bulls alike, with the winner deserving of the top spot in the East at least for 1 week with 3 to go.  Go Bulls! 🤘

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 4:02 PM, BRJACR75 said:

So do we know the the travel plans yet for the team??

Last time, I believe they ended up flying to Columbus, staying there, then boarding a bus for the 1 1/2 - 2 hour drive before game time, got off the bus, sleep walked through the game, and got their asses handed to them 52-17....

Any update on this? Is the team stuck doing some god awful traveling today?

17 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Team stayed right in Athens last night.

That should help. I really want this win tonight. I hope they can make the transition to an evening game. I think our offense can thrive in this game, we need to D to limit Rourke picking up those cheap 3rd Downs with his legs. Hopefully we have seen enough scrambling QBs this year that we are used to it. Go Bulls!!🤘