Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Progress not perfection

Chet

6 minutes ago, Chet said:

Both the men's and women's teams have both improved as their seasons have gone on. That's a positive sign. Not sure what that will mean in March, but for right now, things are looking up.

I have enjoyed watching both as they play better together. Definitely some frustration along the way but I think JW and BB have done well with the talent they have. We will see in a week or some once we get into the MAC swing. Both teams have definitely been solid defenses most of the time.

On 12/23/2022 at 4:21 PM, Chet said:

Both the men's and women's teams have both improved as their seasons have gone on. That's a positive sign. Not sure what that will mean in March, but for right now, things are looking up.

Well said. I'm not sure how many waves the women's team will be able to make in the MAC this season, but the men's team will be competitive and have a chance in Cleveland. What % that equates to, no idea, but they will have a better chance than most.

8 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Women have improved since I saw the Mercyhurst game. 

I do agree. The team is dependent on three players who look like they have to play the entire game. We know who they are: Winfield, Stone and Young. The big question is can Coach Burke get any positive minutes and contributions from Mashaire, Salmons, Perkins, Ogden and Ellis especially with Johnson now lost for the year??? I have not heard any word on Nwora who was out due to personal reasons. There front line is very inexperienced and not very strong on the rebounding side and that could be a big negative on both the offensive and defensive end. Still will be a very interesting year with a coach who really seems to have the pulse of the team. Go Bulls!!

On 12/23/2022 at 4:21 PM, Chet said:

Both the men's and women's teams have both improved as their seasons have gone on. That's a positive sign. 

Not sure how much the men have improved. Their first game against Colgate  was one of their best wins of the season. They are erratic and young. Maybe it comes together in the next few months playing against one of the worst MACs in recent memory but I don't think we know anything about this team yet. 

10 hours ago, clodney said:

Not sure how much the men have improved. Their first game against Colgate  was one of their best wins of the season. They are erratic and young. Maybe it comes together in the next few months playing against one of the worst MACs in recent memory but I don't think we know anything about this team yet. 

I would contend George Mason and Bona were more complete games.  However, I do admit, given the nature of the last four games, it is difficult to gauge progress, but the Bulls have been tending to fewer turnovers and have been rebounding better.  In addition Jones, Powell and Adams have shown the team can have balanced scoring. 

That said, at best we are currently in top six, and evenly matched with all but Kent in the top six, so I do believe the team needs to progress more to be in position to win in Cleveland.  The potential is there, so for now I will be optimistic.

The men had an uneven challenge level on the schedule in December which is frustrating but is what it is.

That being said I liked the GM and SBU games quite a bit. I also liked things I saw on the msu and WVU games as it pertains to potential in the MAC.

My expectations also fall in a Top 6 MAC finish then hopefully make noise come tournament time. Any more than that will be great. 

This isn't a polished group expected to top the MAC coming into the season after losing the entire roster but for an expected "rebuild" I like what we have here. 

3 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

The men had an uneven challenge level on the schedule in December which is frustrating but is what it is.

That being said I liked the GM and SBU games quite a bit. I also liked things I saw on the msu and WVU games as it pertains to potential in the MAC.

My expectations also fall in a Top 6 MAC finish then hopefully make noise come tournament time. Any more than that will be great. 

This isn't a polished group expected to top the MAC coming into the season after losing the entire roster but for an expected "rebuild" I like what we have here. 

Will be interesting to see how they fare against the MAC teams. Are they going to play some semblance of team ball and can some of their frontline players control inside play and rebound?? Is Powell now healthy or is it more long term?? Similar to the women can we get some positive contributions from some of the secondary players?? I think that will be the key for both teams to see how they mesh and play tam ball. Go Bulls!!