Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

WBB vs Ohio

UBinMD

8 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I really want to like this team but they get so sloppy at times. The overall shooting is atrocious even lots of missed layups

Hard not to like this team. They play hard and play big minutes. They just have no depth and have other lacking attributes as well, but considering it's literally a completely new team other than 1 player, it's a lot better than I anticipated. They will be competitive throughout the season as long as they don't get last night's men's officiating crew, as they can't afford a foul-fest game.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

2-1 in MAC. Who'd have thought that after losing to Canisius to open the season, or watching the D2 loss vs Mercyhurst? 6-1 in the last 7, what a turn around. If they go .500+ in MAC, she should win coach of the year hands down.

I would agree 100%. I think they may be better than .500. Time will tell. Winfield didn’t have a great shooting game, but go still get the win is great. Also, Perkins is starting to step up as well.

The one thing I do question is why Salmons goes to the bench in the 4th quarter and doesn’t play any more. It’s been a couple games now. She seems solid in the post and gets the dirty put back baskets. Just find it odd.

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

2-1 in MAC. Who'd have thought that after losing to Canisius to open the season, or watching the D2 loss vs Mercyhurst? 6-1 in the last 7, what a turn around. If they go .500+ in MAC, she should win coach of the year hands down.

Do agree. The last two games UB has really clamped down defensively allowing only 8 points in the 4th quarter. Good sign that we can still win a game when our best player in Winfield has an off night on the offense end shooting 2-14 but she had 8 rebounds and 5 assists. It is interesting that Salmons has not played in the 4th quarter but with Perkins in the lineup she is a quicker more athletic player especially on the defensive end. What works for Coach Burke and we win let’s enjoy this ride. Hope we can see a bigger crowd for Saturday game at 2 pm. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

What a crazy start to the 3rd quarter.  Back to back to back to back steals. 

Crazy is the word. Some good stats out rebounding Ohio 36-27, 11 steals, shooting 44% from the field, 73% from the free throw line and getting solid contributions from Salmons, Mashaire and Perkins and productive games from Stone and Young and of course Winfield even though she had an off night shooting 2-14 but was productive on the assist and rebounding side. With their limited bench for this team to play with energy in the 4th quarter is very impressive. Go Bulls!!!

11 hours ago, skrabukes said:

And that one loss in the last 7 was to a team that has a very strong record (I think they were 8-3 at the time), and Buffalo lost by one point on a last second basket. The last 7 games have been impressive, if not perfect.

Kayla Salmons is shooting 10-for-11 in her last 3 games, and 68% for the entire season. Why doesn't she get the ball more? Why doesn't she get more minutes of playing time? That 68% would be leading the MAC if she had enough FG attempts (second place would be Nyla Hampton at 57%)

Why wasn't she in on defense on the last play both in the Kent State game (where a Kent player scored on a out-of-control shot from about 5 feet away from the basket) and why wasn't she in on defense for the last play against Ohio when an Ohio player had 4 shots (3 on offensive rebounds) underneath the basket?

Edited by dj_paige

12 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Kayla Salmons is shooting 10-for-11 in her last 3 games, and 68% for the entire season. Why doesn't she get the ball more? Why doesn't she get more minutes of playing time?

Why wasn't she in on defense on the last play both in the Kent State game (where a Kent player scored on a out-of-control shot from about 5 feet away from the basket) and why wasn't she in on defense for the last play against Ohio when an Ohio player had 4 shots (3 on offensive rebounds) underneath the basket?

All good questions and ones I have asked as well. Her size and presence would have not allowed that particular shot against Kent St. They would likely have had to take it further out with a much lower chance of success. Can't complain too much about 6-1 with the loss a 1 pt as you stated. I still like having my biggest body protecting the rim in desperation time. She finishes well around the rim and knows her place. That offensive rebound, putback and foul was a big 3-point play later in the games. That's what she can bring.

I was also happy to see one go down for Ogden. If she could become a  spark of the bench with 3-4 3's a game at times where she can give someone a break, how huge would that be? She was very excited at the end of the game hugging her teammates, etc. so she is definitely into the game even if not getting big minutes yet.

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I was also happy to see one go down for Ogden. If she could become a  spark of the bench with 3-4 3's a game at times where she can give someone a break, how huge would that be? She was very excited at the end of the game hugging her teammates, etc. so she is definitely into the game even if not getting big minutes yet.

Ogden has hit 2 out of her last 3 shots from behind the arc. And as I understand things, that is her strength (although the entire season numbers don't show it). Recall that Georgia Woolley was terrible from 3 point land for the first month or so of her season last year. I also love the somewhat old-fashioned first name Hattie. I wonder if her real first name is Henrietta, but her bio doesn't say.

Still very early in MAC play, but with the state of the league this season, and the consistent level of competitiveness and willingness to defend, I would be somewhat shocked if this team did not finish at least .500 in league play. Ball, Toledo, Kent and BG are probably the top 4, but none are close to unbeatable (all 4 already have a league loss)...Akron seems like a paper tiger at this point.

With numerous freshmen incoming next year, I would expect a similar type of potential slow start/learning curve, unless a few really pop from the get-go. However, based on Coach Burke's track record at other programs and again, the high level of compete, I am expecting legitimately competing for a MAC title within a few seasons.