Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Roster

Roster (11/13 scholarships taken)

PG: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Shawn Fulcher

SG: Kanye Jones / Anquan Boldin Jr. / Ryan Sabol

Wing: Isaiah Adams / Diovion Famakinde / Bryson Wilson

Big/Wing: James Graham III / Zaakir Williamson

Big: Sy Chatman / Jo Smith / NEED (JUCO or HS developmental)

Staff has been filling in the positions of need as I see them, with two scholarships remaining. Our biggest need remains as we still need a starting PG. The other spot could go to a young big, but I wouldn't hate another ball handling guard either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Roster (11/13 scholarships taken)

PG: NEED (Jr or Sr transfer starter) / Shawn Fulcher

SG: Kanye Jones / Anquan Boldin Jr. / Ryan Sabol

Wing: Isaiah Adams / Diovion Famakinde / Bryson Wilson

Big/Wing: James Graham III / Zaakir Williamson

Big: Sy Chatman / Jo Smith / NEED (JUCO or HS developmental)

Staff has been filling in the positions of need as I see them, with two scholarships remaining. Our biggest need remains as we still need a starting PG. The other spot could go to a young big, but I wouldn't hate another ball handling guard either.

I agree that PG is biggest need at this point.  If Graham has to sit maybe a grad transfer (1 yr rental might make sense) in that Big/Wing slot opposed to big.

I see that you have SG contingent settled at this point.  I had thought that Jones needed a little more time to develop, but  look at the comparison of his SO stats in limited playing time compared to Curtis Jones SO stats in limited playing time.

image.thumb.png.79a731fef4842f327f098d97db3482ce.png

Except for 3pt % and assists, Kanye's offensive statistics were comparable.  I don't know if I see Kanye putting up 15 ppg like C. Jones did, but 9-11 ppg may not be that unrealistic (bartorvik.com has him at 7 ppg). 

57 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I always like seeing the move in day photos.  Looking forward to watching them play come November.  That said I am a little jealous of the players.  I didn't get someone meeting me at the airport.  I took a Trailways bus from Kingston to Buffalo and then a cab from Buffalo bus station to the Ellicott Complex with just an army duffle bag full of clothes.  Talk about a long day!

51 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Hopefully soon we will have another new Bull settling in on campus. Eager to see who we bring in with the two open spots 

That makes two of us.  Hoping we see something as early as this week.  Getting the last two commits will free up some time as I spend way too much time looking over available transfers and trying to determine who UB might get.  I almost guarantee the last two players are not even on my radar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2023 at 12:18 PM, DocCas86 said:

Transfer portal activity seems to be picking up.  Would be nice to get final two players for this year's team soon.

Activity hasn't picked as much as I had thought....wondering if @Dabulls and @UBinMD should take back their ikes, feel like they weren't earned.😝  Hopefully some activity soon.

I compiled a list of guards still in the portal.  The list sorts the players by how much Barttorvik roster cast estimates the player will improve the team.  The exceptions are Melvin Council (JUCO) and Isaiah Fuller (D2).  I have seen lot of chatter recently about Terrion - mostly tied to P5 teams.   Rucker was also linked to P5 teams early on - have not seen much lately.   UB has been linked to Kyree Brown, and would probably be the best fit at PG.  I would not be surprised if the commit we get isn't on the list.  

image.png.ea04e74627108b48ed5e5885d57e65e0.png

11 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I compiled a list of guards still in the portal.  The list sorts the players by how much Barttorvik roster cast estimates the player will improve the team.  The exceptions are Melvin Council (JUCO) and Isaiah Fuller (D2).  I have seen lot of chatter recently about Terrion - mostly tied to P5 teams.   Rucker was also linked to P5 teams early on - have not seen much lately.   UB has been linked to Kyree Brown, and would probably be the best fit at PG.  I would not be surprised if the commit we get isn't on the list.  

image.png.ea04e74627108b48ed5e5885d57e65e0.png

No Kyree Brown...no more eligibility

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here is barttorvik's view of the upcoming season.

image.png.4cab62385dfccab90b529f43990d8699.png

Overall - I am expecting a little better result, my ranking would be 200-225.   I think 7 to 9 wins in the MAC regular season is probably fair expectation for this team and it would be enough to get to Cleveland 7 or 8 seed.

Transfer portal -   The future may be in good hands, but I would have liked it if they could have landed a veteran PG from the portal.  There are still a few players left, but I am not expecting a game changer at this point.  Fulcher slated to play ~30 mpg and 12 ppg - he will have an opportunity to show what he can do.

Freshman contributions - Looks like there will be an opportunity for a couple of FR to contribute ~15 mpg.  Maybe you get a couple to average closer to 5 ppg.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Have we heard for certain that Graham is eligible?

Agreed on PG. Not sure what the depth chart looks like beyond Fulcher. 

I have not heard that Graham is eligible.  Are teams allowed to make that information public?  There will be even more opportunities for others if he does not play this year.

Maybe there is still an option.  The best I can tell Jalen Rucker is still available, and is the best available I am aware of, but seems like a long shot to land with UB.  I have to think with classes starting we would need to hear something this week, no?

Hard to predict what this team is capable of, but I do feel ranking in low 200s  (200-230) is my expectation.  This season seems more about playing hard on both sides and building for the future.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

Looking at four recently hired head coaches in MAC, Groce, Boals, Lewis and Steele, I am feeling a little better about choices that Halcovage has made.  Here is a summary:

image.thumb.png.a23516bafd02fdb8c8408eec07fad014.png

Michael Lewis' approach was to keep the team in tact.  He had the best result in his first year, but is looking at potentially drop in second year due to a number of transfers.

Travis Steele did rebuild most of the team, but went with transfers Mirambeaux and Safford.  He didn't get the results he was looking for and lost a lot of players to graduation.  They are also expected to have another subpar season.

Groce and Boals went with a large number of FR, and were able to have success by 2nd or 3rd year.  This seems to be the approach that Halcovage used - so maybe this is the best way to go. 

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was compiling rosters for men's basketball and noticed links to Opendorse (NIL) for each player on the Toledo roster.image.thumb.png.eeb53928f517800e30733292bb7a3d3d.png

If you click on the link you are taken to a page where you can pay for an autograph, a recorded video, appearance, etc.  Does UB have anything like this?  Is this something UB should do?  I confess I am not really up to speed on the whole NIL thing.

I searched and found a few UB players are on the site.

https://opendorse.com/profile/isaiah-adams

https://opendorse.com/profile/kanye-jones

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I guess we will get a clue in two weeks when the team plays Daemen.

I would expect a 10 man rotation for the first few games. I'm guessing the staff will try several combinations to see what seems to work in real game action, then get tapered to an 8-man group. One thing that is helpful on the new roster page, it says their year, but also gives ears of eligibility. For example, Isaiah Adams is a senior, but has 2 years of eligibility. Sy Chatman is the only current roster player with 1 year of eligibility. I was not aware of that and may explain why they didn't fill the last 2 spots this season. They likely wanted to give themselves some flexibility by having 3 scholarships next year to fill the gaps they see after this season.

Here is my assumed starting 5 for Daemen:

G - Kanye Jones

G - James Graham

F - Sy Chatman

F - Isaiah Adams

F/C - Jo Smith

6th Man - Zaakir Williamson/Shawn Fulcher

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I would expect a 10 man rotation for the first few games. I'm guessing the staff will try several combinations to see what seems to work in real game action, then get tapered to an 8-man group. One thing that is helpful on the new roster page, it says their year, but also gives ears of eligibility. For example, Isaiah Adams is a senior, but has 2 years of eligibility. Sy Chatman is the only current roster player with 1 year of eligibility. I was not aware of that and may explain why they didn't fill the last 2 spots this season. They likely wanted to give themselves some flexibility by having 3 scholarships next year to fill the gaps they see after this season.

Here is my assumed starting 5 for Daemen:

G - Kanye Jones

G - James Graham

F - Sy Chatman

F - Isaiah Adams

F/C - Jo Smith

6th Man - Zaakir Williamson/Shawn Fulcher

Shawn Fulcher is a starter I think. There's near zero ball-handling in that 5. I'm still surprised at the lack of PGs on the roster.

Has anyone heard for sure the Graham is playing this season? No reporting on the matter. 

38 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Shawn Fulcher is a starter I think. There's near zero ball-handling in that 5. I'm still surprised at the lack of PGs on the roster.

Has anyone heard for sure the Graham is playing this season? No reporting on the matter. 

You and me both re PG.  Not sure why they did not use the last scholarship for that.  Maybe we will get some initial answers in two weeks.

I have a related question on Graham, if he is sitting this upcoming season, can he play in exhibition?   I did not find an answer in my brief search, but what I saw seemed to suggest you can't.   Maybe also something we find out in two weeks.

Also with respect to Graham, It would make the team even less experienced this year, but I wonder if it would be better if Graham sat this year and we had him for two years after this one, since this year is a rebuilding one.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Also with respect to Graham, It would make the team even less experienced this year, but I wonder if it would be better if Graham sat this year and we had him for two years after this one, since this year is a rebuilding one.

I'd take him playing this year and next. While it's a rebuilding year, we still need to be competitive to buoy the brand and legitimize GH3. Can't afford to fall off a cliff with recruiting, fan interest, etc hanging in the balance.

Unfortunately there isn't a draft lottery to look forward to as a rebuilding college team, just the mire and muck of mid-major mediocrity (alliteration bonus unlocked 😂).

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 1