Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

That's Canisius UNIVERSITY!

promotherobot

50 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Same crappy basketball teams, though.

Yes the crappy Canisius Golden Griffins basketball team that at least went to the NCAA elite eight round in 1955 and 1956 along with a sweet 16 in 1957 in Division I college basketball. UB men’s basketball can only fantasize about accomplishing that. Reggie Witherspoon and Tom Parrotta beat UB Bulls basketball those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. As for the present Canisius University don’t underestimate Canisius there are changes going on there because status quo is going to close this school potentially at some point without the vision and the changes needed that are starting to come.

Slowly there coming which is good for Western New York economically and for college basketball in Western New York in general. Remember when I said it doesn’t matter what Reggie Witherspoon does next year he isn’t getting anymore contracts it is retire with dignity or get fired by letting his contract expire which it does after this coming season. I hope he retires with dignity a nice man that is just out of touch with college basketball today same could be said for Jim Whitesell in my opinion. Go Griffs! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Yes the crappy Canisius Golden Griffins basketball team that at least went to the NCAA elite eight round in 1955 and 1956 along with a sweet 16 in 1957 in Division I college basketball. UB men’s basketball can only fantasize about accomplishing that. Reggie Witherspoon and Tom Parrotta beat UB Bulls basketball those in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. As for the present Canisius University don’t underestimate Canisius there are changes going on there because status quo is going to close this school potentially at some point without the vision and the changes needed that are starting to come.

Slowly there coming which is good for Western New York economically and for college basketball in Western New York in general. Remember when I said it doesn’t matter what Reggie Witherspoon does next year he isn’t getting anymore contracts it is retire with dignity or get fired by letting his contract expire which it does after this coming season. I hope he retires with dignity a nice man that is just out of touch with college basketball today same could be said for Jim Whitesell in my opinion. Go Griffs! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1955 field of 25

1956 field of 24

1957 filed of 25

14 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Yes the crappy Canisius Golden Griffins basketball team that at least went to the NCAA elite eight round in 1955 and 1956 along with a sweet 16 in 1957 in Division I college basketball.

This is worse than Bonnies fans telling us about the good ol' days when they made the Final Four and won the NIT.

I think UB should close up the basketball programs. We will never be able to replicate the success of CCNY's 1950 run when they won both the NIT and the NCAA tournament. Since then, Bona won the NIT, Syracuse won the NCAA tournament. But unless we can do both in the same season CCNY will always be able to hold that over our heads so let's quit now. We can only fantasize about reaching that level of success.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rma said:

This is worse than Bonnies fans telling us about the good ol' days when they made the Final Four and won the NIT.

I think UB should close up the basketball programs. We will never be able to replicate the success of CCNY's 1950 run when they won both the NIT and the NCAA tournament. Since then, Bona won the NIT, Syracuse won the NCAA tournament. But unless we can do both in the same season CCNY will always be able to hold that over our heads so let's quit now. We can only fantasize about reaching that level of success.

But we can hold the gambling scandal over CCNY's head.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rma said:

Not enough run on.  Too much punctuation.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rma said:

I am not going to sit and let any UB fan talk crap about The Canisius University of Buffalo, New York basketball which is the rumor new roll out name even though it’s not official the name yet until it’s announced by the school. When UB basketball is crap itself right now. It’s better to be a use to be then a never was. I was with the Griffs basketball team as a team manager that is more than some of the fans on this board. So I will take so much but not when UB basketball under Jim Whitesell was crap you can’t fool BSF. I was inside a Division I college basketball program Jim Whitesell was incompetent. And not when I don’t believe UB athletics is ever going to be successful with some of the rot that is in this UB alumni donors base that worries more about New York State politics what they might think who cares which is why I like private schools and businesses over state run. I am about hiring the best candidate to be the UB basketball head coach. I don’t think George Halcovage was the best candidate he was the best candidate that checked some of the medaling UB alumni donors politics boxes along with that would accept the low pay offer which is no way to hire a basketball head coach. Plus the not all in with NIL is out of touch with college basketball reality today. Canisius can go on a run just much as UB so there is that reality to in my opinion. Go Griffs! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

7 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Back when the NIT was the tournament that mattered and the NCAA was meh.

Bottom line UB Bulls basketball hasn’t been there so keep dreaming about a New York Powerhouse because all it is basically is fantasyland dream in my opinion. Go Griffs! Go Bulls! Go Bonnies! Go Purple Eagles! Let’s Go Buffalo 

12 hours ago, clodney said:

I wonder if Wayne State (MI) and Hardin-Simmons University also go around bragging about the NCAA tournaments over 65 years ago...

I wonder why a Division I UB New York Powerhouse is afraid of Niagara Purple Eagles basketball right in there own backyard? Instead going with the no one wants to play UB Bulls at Alumni Arena in all of Division I basketball of 300 plus teams line of bull. And would rather schedule those basketball power houses of Division 3 and Division 2 Fredonia State and Damen College? And some of us wonder why some in Buffalo doesn’t take anything from UB athletics seriously?

Worry about some of the medaling UB donors more concerned about New York City politics and what the New York Times thinks, writes than hiring the best  basketball coaching candidate to win basketball games at UB. Then worry about The Canisius University of Buffalo, New York. No I don’t believe George Halcovage was the best UB coaching candidate he was the only coaching candidate that passed the politics test and accepted the low pay from UB. That doesn’t mean George Halcovage isn’t going to win but it doesn’t give a UB fan a lot of confidence in the way that went down we will see. I just wonder how UB basketball fans will be if George Halcovage loses to lame duck Reggie Witherspoon? And it’s possible Tom Parrotta beat UB at Alumni Arena as a lame duck head coach on his way out the door in the spring he was fired.

Yes UB loses to lame duck Canisius coaches before so it’s possible. If it happens I think UB fans are going to be wild. Again I win either way between the Buffalo Big 4 basketball teams. That is why I am one of the most objective UB fans on this board because I speak in reality and tell it like it is. Buffalo fan is a what have you done for me lately sports town. If UB wins great if Canisius wins great, if St Bonaventure wins great if Niagara wins great in my opinion. Go Griffs! Go Bulls! Go Bonnies! Go Purple Eagles! Let’s Go Buffalo 

17 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

I am not going to sit and let any UB fan talk crap about The Canisius University of Buffalo, New York basketball which is the rumor new roll out name even though it’s not official the name yet until it’s announced by the school. When UB basketball is crap itself right now. It’s better to be a use to be then a never was. I was with the Griffs basketball team as a team manager that is more than some of the fans on this board. So I will take so much but not when UB basketball under Jim Whitesell was crap you can’t fool BSF. I was inside a Division I college basketball program Jim Whitesell was incompetent. And not when I don’t believe UB athletics is ever going to be successful with some of the rot that is in this UB alumni donors base that worries more about New York State politics what they might think who cares which is why I like private schools and businesses over state run. I am about hiring the best candidate to be the UB basketball head coach. I don’t think George Halcovage was the best candidate he was the best candidate that checked some of the medaling UB alumni donors politics boxes along with that would accept the low pay offer which is no way to hire a basketball head coach. Plus the not all in with NIL is out of touch with college basketball reality today. Canisius can go on a run just much as UB so there is that reality to in my opinion. Go Griffs! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Canisius lost about half of its enrollment over the past decade. The school is in a terrible financial situation. The basketball program is in a bad situation as well.

UB has gained enrollment as college enrollment drops nationwide. UB's endowment crossed a billion dollars recently. I can complain about NY politics and bullshit SUNY bureaucracy while still being accurate about UB's future vs the future of the Little 3 as institutions and athletic programs.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 4/29/2023 at 5:57 PM, rma said:

Canisius lost about half of its enrollment over the past decade. The school is in a terrible financial situation. The basketball program is in a bad situation as well.

UB has gained enrollment as college enrollment drops nationwide. UB's endowment crossed a billion dollars recently. I can complain about NY politics and bullshit SUNY bureaucracy while still being accurate about UB's future vs the future of the Little 3 as institutions and athletic progr

Edited by Blue03