Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB @ Bowling Green | 2/6/24 7pm | ESPN+

• MuchMany changed the title to MBB @ Bowling Green | 2/6/24 7pm | ESPN+
4 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Bowling Green had a worse season last year, has less minutes continuity from last year, also got a new coach and we’re 12.5 point underdogs lol

Crazy. They got the leading JUCO scorer in the nation in Marcus Hill and he's averaging like 25/game in MAC play. But I guess that's like us getting a newcomer like Sy. They got Jason Spurgin, a starting senior center from Utah St. We didn't get anything like that. 

3 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Crazy. They got the leading JUCO scorer in the nation in Marcus Hill and he's averaging like 25/game in MAC play. But I guess that's like us getting a newcomer like Sy. They got Jason Spurgin, a starting senior center from Utah St. We didn't get anything like that. 

Main difference is Halcovage didn't evaluate/recruit Sy. Hill signed in May more than a month after Halcovage was hired, that's why I don't give Halcovage a complete pass on needing a full recruiting cycle.

TBF on Spurgin he came from Southern Utah with BG's new coach. That needs to be a consideration in today's coaching carousel. You can make a hire and not restart. It's shady but it happened to us when Leipold/Oats/Jack left.

6 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Main difference is Halcovage didn't evaluate/recruit Sy. Hill signed in May more than a month after Halcovage was hired, that's why I don't give Halcovage a complete pass on needing a full recruiting cycle.

TBF on Spurgin he came from Southern Utah with BG's new coach. That needs to be a consideration in today's coaching carousel. You can make a hire and not restart. It's shady but it happened to us when Leipold/Oats/Jack left.

True, but just considering last year's minutes/production to this year's, Sy counts as new.

But it's true that GH flunked the first partial recruiting cycle. Graham wasn't supposed to be eligible until next year, but he didn't even look D1 quality before getting hurt. Boldin and Sabol were good finds late in the calendar. But not finding a key PG and C in the portal might cost him his coaching future if he can't pull the nose of this program up out of this plunge.

Please, let this be the game where the Bulls find some luck and shoot a decent % from 3 for a change.  I don’t think 40% from 3 is too much to ask for, certainly not if we’re asking to hit that mark for the first time all season vs D-1 opponents. 

Go Bulls! 🤘

I don't know if we have an answer for Agee and Hill.

I'll continue rooting for any sort of visible improvement. Hope they cover. Hope they prove me wrong and win. Go Bulls 🤘

Side note: Was Kanye's reason of leave ever disclosed? Hope the kid is okay, whatever happened.

2 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

No Boldin or Graham.

We're playing a funky zone that is working so far.

I think going to the zone out of the gate, I'm assuming to expend less energy on defense with an insanely depleted bench, might be the first tactical decision GH3 has made all year.

4 minutes ago, eyjee said:

I think going to the zone out of the gate, I'm assuming to expend less energy on defense with an insanely depleted bench, might be the first tactical decision GH3 has made all year.

100%. Good to see a wrinkle and rough to see how shallow we are. They're already figuring the zone out with that dump down from the mod post to a dunker. Keeping mixing it up. 

7 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

This is embarrassingly bad basketball on both sides. Really hard to watch as a fan of good basketball 

Was just about to say the same thing. Far cry from Huger's Wiggins and Turner teams battling Oats and the boys. 

Until the final 4:00 of the half there were some encouraging signs. But then gave up the 8-0 run including Chatman inexplicably taking the shot with 7 secs left leading to the predictable buzzer beater at the other end

Edited by Bluebird96

5 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Their choice to keep Spurgin on the perimeter looking for 3's when he could easily just stand by the basket and lay it in every position is baffling

Yeah I have no idea why they haven't started to do that, it would be automatic 

1 minute ago, Tee4three said:

I'd be surprised if they don't switch things up in the second half 

They might. Seemed like a dedicated strategy to have quicker guys moving in and out of the middle of the zone causing chaos while one of their best deep shooters camped out high.

• Like 1