Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MBB @ Northern Illinois | 2/13/24 8pm | ESPN+

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

This game gives me hope that the Bulls can turn things around.

We Lost against a cellar dwellar. At least they appeared to move the ball at times. Could've won if they made late FTs. But I still wish I shared your optimism.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ugly game in so many ways.  If UB could’ve managed to just make 60% of their free throws they probably get a W.  Or a couple of those missed layups go in, especially the ones that would’ve been and-one’s.  There was hope tonight, and even when it looked like they would fold the Bulls bounced back so I guess there’s that.  On to the next 

26 minutes ago, Chet said:

What the hell happened with 33.5 seconds left….waiting till the shot clock is under 10 to foul?! No ball pressure either. GHIII continues to give the pundits all the ammo. BRUTAL coaching.

Next 3-4 years will be fun to watch. At least we can sell dvd's for coaching clinics

6 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

Must be nice to live outside the great state of New York…

If anyone living outside NYS has been betting on UB instead of hammering their opponents, well there's a phone number for that. We're 8-15 against the spread, better than I'd have guessed but miserable still.

I had some optimism carried over from last game, so it was disappointing to lose to a bad team in that fashion. Honestly I didn't watch closely, it was a bad basketball game that didn't hold my attention.

Adams and Chatman missing a bunch of FTs down the stretch is awful. I have to think Adams' injury derailed his whole season because his regression has been stark. His stroke is dead in the water. I won't be upset if he grad transfers.

McVeigh and Wilson both look to be settled and developing slightly. Nothing impressive, but they're not lost causes heading into next year. Fulcher has a ton of juice and is playing to his strengths finally, so credit him and the coaches there. He's a nice piece moving forward. Boldin is too.

The roster needs a ton of work. A transfer replacement alpha for Sy, a transfer big to have at least one rostered, a few combo guards that can handle and shoot. Brayden Jackson is a nice wing commit from Fort Erie. The rest may well be JUCO or transfers, we need to get competitive ASAP.

Congrats guys, I didn't know you could find a new depth of losing but there it was.  We were astounded watching the game down the stretch as the Bulls did everything they possibly could to lose this game.  Miss your foul shots - check. Miss a dunk - check. Throw a guy's shoe and get a technical - check.  The foul shooting alone, I just could not believe how they missed all those.  They are what their record says they are, and even when they could/should have won they didn't and you saw why.

Chatman - I've been critical many times this season, but yet again you saw it - the guy can put up 20+ points but will make mistakes/miss shots at the worst possible times at the end.  Yesterday, those two free throws.  He's a guy who will put up points for you but you'll never win a thing with him.
Wilson - are you kidding me? You threw the guy's shoe? You're fighting to get playing time and you think that was a good idea? 

There's a difference between the games where you sat back and saw a team that was trying but just wasn't nearly as good as their opponent, and a clown show where they miss all their foul shots down the stretch and one guy throws a shoe in a loss to an equally bad opponent.

56 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

There's a difference between the games where you sat back and saw a team that was trying but just wasn't nearly as good as their opponent, and a clown show where they miss all their foul shots down the stretch and one guy throws a shoe in a loss to an equally bad opponent.

I sound like a broken record but the issue is that NIU isn't an equally bad opponent. We are closer to the second worst team in the country (Mississippi Valley St. is far and away the worst) than we are to NIU. We are rated as the worst MAC team in over 20 years. We lost to a 2-8 MAC team and moved UP (slightly) in the rankings. This team is atrocious and Halcovage needs to be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

Wilson - are you kidding me? You threw the guy's shoe? You're fighting to get playing time and you think that was a good idea? 

I'll defend this all day. First, it was hilarious. Second, he had three (3!) NIU players standing over him, verbally and physically taunting him after a big poster. I've seen show-ups 25% as bad as that T'd up this season. The fact that we came out of that exchange with the technical is laughable. I don't put this loss on him at all. 

13 hours ago, trueblue32 said:

I sound like a broken record but the issue is that NIU isn't an equally bad opponent. We are closer to the second worst team in the country (Mississippi Valley St. is far and away the worst) than we are to NIU. We are rated as the worst MAC team in over 20 years. We lost to a 2-8 MAC team and moved UP (slightly) in the rankings. This team is atrocious and Halcovage needs to be gone.

Are you eating his contract? Do you want Alnutt hiring the replacement?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I'll defend this all day. First, it was hilarious. Second, he had three (3!) NIU players standing over him, verbally and physically taunting him after a big poster. I've seen show-ups 25% as bad as that T'd up this season. The fact that we came out of that exchange with the technical is laughable. I don't put this loss on him at all. 

I suppose I have a different definition of hilarious, or maybe it's the coach in me.  I do find it funny to see someone toss a shoe like that - I just don't find it funny if that's costing them points at the end of a close game.  If he got up and pushed back, fine.  Because maybe that gets a matching technical (or nothing at all).  I thought Hurley was a regular clown for his antics, but at least you could say he was firing up the team/crowd.  This was just free foul shots for the other team, after (as you described) THEY were the aggressors.

Amongst a sea of demoralizing losses, this was an especially atrocious one because down the stretch, it was largely due to poor foul shooting.  ("Poor" being an overly polite way of putting it).  I know foul shots at the end can be tougher under pressure, but they're still foul shots, something you can control for being good at.

• Like 1