Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

QB1.....2024

So what's the scoop?  Any word or updates?  For some strange reason, UB and the MAC do not get a great deal of coverage here in Florida?  On the plus side, I can talk NCAA football with almost everyone; allbeit they are likely Wisconsin, Michigan, Iowa or Penn State fans.  It's a burden handling all this B1G chitchat.

I’m confident this coaching staff will fully evaluate what talent they have and then gear an offense to achieve that. I would expect Gray or Watt to be named starter and Ogbonna to be similar to last year, except I’m hoping the offensive play calling is a bit more clever. I don’t think CJ has the arm to be the permanent starter 

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I’m confident this coaching staff will fully evaluate what talent they have and then gear an offense to achieve that. I would expect Gray or Watt to be named starter and Ogbonna to be similar to last year, except I’m hoping the offensive play calling is a bit more clever. I don’t think CJ has the arm to be the permanent starter 

I agree with doesn’t have the arm but CJ Ogbonna has the most experience playing in FBS football and two I don’t think the 2024 UB Bulls are going to be a pass heavy team. That is why I CJ Ogbonna is going to be the starter at least to start the season because of his legs. UB Bulls are going to be a run heavy grind it on the ground type of MAC team like an Ohio Bobcats. I don’t see Pete Lembo being a chuck the football down the field type of coach. Pete Lembo talks about not beating ourselves that sounds more a run pound the rock team then a chuck the football down the field and hope for the best team. Those junior college players only see the field if CJ Ogbonna is injured or if CJ Ogbonna just can’t move the team. Junior college quarterback’s from the West Coast are iffy because they haven’t played in Buffalo weather. Unless you are Josh Allen it is very hard to throw the football in the wind of Buffalo. Plus no UB Bulls head coach should ever recruit quarterbacks to Buffalo with small hands. Because small hand quarterbacks tend to fumble in Buffalo weather. It doesn’t matter what Billy Bob Smith did at West Coast junior college that is fools gold. Buffalo the wind is brutal to throw the football especially at night in late October and November games.

That reminds me UB needs to build a shell around UB Stadium and add a canopy to help with the cold and wind that will help UB attendance to. To be honest I think UB should just build a new stadium like the Syracuse Carrier Dome on the UB Stadium site for both UB football and UB basketball. I don’t know how many UB alums out of town follow what is going on in Amherst where Buffalo Super Fan lives but the Amherst town board passed legislation to allow up to 10 story buildings at the Boulevard Mall site area. Along with the extension of the Metro Railway that is coming. My point this Amherst town area is going to grow by 2030’s and beyond. It’s time that UB and UB athletics really thinks about this when evaluating weather going forward with UB stadium renovations. It might be best to focus on building a UB mini dome like North Dakota Bison Fargo Dome over putting big money into renovating a track stadium with no roof whatsoever that wasn’t built for FBS football and Western New York for the most part can’t stand the stadium anyway. The UB mini dome would give Western New Yorker’s that wanted a Buffalo Bills dome stadium that the Bills ownership refused to give them. It cost $48 million dollars in 1992 in 2022 dollars it would be $108 million dollars. So we aren’t talking $1 billion dollars for a 18,000 to 19,000 seat dome stadium the Fargo Dome seats 18,700 fans for football. Build that it would be a game changer for UB athletics. It would a wise public relations move and you get a on campus university facility that can be used 365 days a year for events. Take the events away from Key Bank Center that is money in UB and UB athletics program instead of a billionaire in Terry Pegula’s pocket. UB and UB athletics need to think as a business like FCS North Dakota State does. Amherst is big enough to support a facility like that especially if it is climate controlled dome. There are a lot fans that are tired of sitting in the cold today in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

I don’t really feel comfortable with starting any of these players. Ogbonna is straight up not a FBS level passer and admittedly I haven’t seen much at all of Gray and Watts , but I don’t believe they are difference makers if they couldn’t find playing time despite the QB woes last season. I hope we find a decent QB in the next portal window. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

I don’t really feel comfortable with starting any of these players. Ogbonna is straight up not a FBS level passer and admittedly I haven’t seen much at all of Gray and Watts , but I don’t believe they are difference makers if they couldn’t find playing time despite the QB woes last season. I hope we find a decent QB in the next portal window. 

Agreed. I’d like to see those QBs get a chance, but I’d rather not sacrifice another lost season just to give them playing time. If coach thinks they’re ready, by all means I’m in, but if they’re not a clear QB1, we need to find one. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/20/2024 at 5:29 PM, Ubbullsfan09 said:

Gray had an insanely strong arm in the spring game last year. However, he didn’t pass often. Ogbonna showed flashes last year but he doesn’t have much arm talent. I’d expect it to be 1.gray, 2. Ogbonna, 3. Watts. Especially if the new HC and OC want to open up the passing game more. 

On 3/23/2024 at 5:37 PM, Dabulls said:

Gray had an insanely strong arm in the spring game last year. However, he didn’t pass often. Ogbonna showed flashes last year but he doesn’t have much arm talent. I’d expect it to be 1.gray, 2. Ogbonna, 3. Watts. Especially if the new HC and OC want to open up the passing game more. 

Last year we were scared to throw the ball for some reason. Hopefully that changes this year and we have a good balanced offense. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been to two spring practices so far. It appears that CJ Ogbonna has a solid lead over Gunnar Gray. Ogbonna had three touchdown passes during their scrimmage on Saturday including two BOMBS to Taji Johnson who had himself a day! Gray really hasn't really stood out too much. Can't wait for the Spring Game to see how they play in front of a crowd!

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1