Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2024 Transfer Interest

6 hours ago, skrabukes said:

We've fallen a very long way when we would be excited picking up guys from Canisius.

The one was preseason all MAAC 

It wouldn't be a bad pick up especially since he barely played this season

• Like 1

Tahj Staveskie averaged 10.5 ppg, 4.5 assists and 4 rebounds per game as a freshman at Canisius and was a big reason the Griffs were picked to finish 3rd in the MAAC preseason poll. He only played in two games last year due to an injury. The rumor is that he either didn't rehab it properly or something happened that prevented him from returning. The injury was not supposed to be season ending so it either worsened or he chose to sit out games as some Canisius fans speculate. On the surface, he would be a quality transfer for UB and would probably instantly slot in as their starting point guard.

Zxavier Long is more of a hustle guy. 7 ppg and 6 rebounds as a sophomore but missed all of last year. Would be a decent add if healthy.

These aren't the type of guys UB would've targeted in the past with Oats but wouldn't be bad pickups considering where the program currently is. It's hard to get experienced transfers right now with our NIL situation. Gotta take what you can get! 

(Don't know if the rumors of them being interested in UB are true or false)

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 1

This is nothing more than speculation, but I do believe we should go after this mass Canisius exodus hard. (There already was some discourse on Staveskie and Long) From my understanding, Calvin Cage was a very well liked assistant coach at Canisius and recruited many of those players to Canisius. Pretty much every player in their rotation is in the portal currently, and even thought it may hurt our pride, Canisius’s team last season would beat our team by 30 and we need to jump on a chance to grab some of those pieces and insert a proven D1 presence into our lineup. As much as people on here would like to complain, I would 100% take proven MAAC basketball players (we would probably finish worse in the MAAC anyways) over freshman with no D1 offers which is GH3’s current strategy 

14 minutes ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

This is nothing more than speculation, but I do believe we should go after this mass Canisius exodus hard. (There already was some discourse on Staveskie and Long) From my understanding, Calvin Cage was a very well liked assistant coach at Canisius and recruited many of those players to Canisius. Pretty much every player in their rotation is in the portal currently, and even thought it may hurt our pride, Canisius’s team last season would beat our team by 30 and we need to jump on a chance to grab some of those pieces and insert a proven D1 presence into our lineup. As much as people on here would like to complain, I would 100% take proven MAAC basketball players (we would probably finish worse in the MAAC anyways) over freshman with no D1 offers which is GH3’s current strategy 

Oh I'm sure that they'd be an improvement,  but my point still remains, that we've fallen quite a long way to be picking up Canisius' bones. We'll see if any of those guys go back with a proven coach in Christian now at the helm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Mount st Mary's head coach just took an assistant job for Syracuse 

The staff seems to know the DMV area couple that with cages familiarity of the MAAC, maybe they have some one of interest 

Leading scorer was a Senior.

2nd leading scorer - De’Shayne Montgomery, 6’4” freshman guard, 13.2 ppg and 41.2% from 3.

best rebounder was 4.5 RPG and several guys around 4rpg.

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Leading scorer was a Senior.

2nd leading scorer - De’Shayne Montgomery, 6’4” freshman guard, 13.2 ppg and 41.2% from 3.

best rebounder was 4.5 RPG and several guys around 4rpg.

Their best player is actually getting looks from power five schools, believe it's the leading scorer who is in the portal as a grad transfer 

4 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Their best player is actually getting looks from power five schools, believe it's the leading scorer who is in the portal as a grad transfer 

Leffew and Montgomery are both hearing from P5 schools. 

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Leffew and Montgomery are both hearing from P5 schools. 

Everyone looking for the next Mark Sears

I live less than an hour from The Mount. Maybe I will go at lunch time decked out in UB gear and try to find the basketball team to make a sales pitch. That shouldn’t violate any rules, right?

Edited by UBinMD
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Everyone looking for the next Mark Sears

I live less than an hour from The Mount. Maybe I will go at lunch time decked out in UB gear and try to find the basketball team to make a sales pitch. That shouldn’t violate any rules, right?

There’s still rules?