Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Damning Indictment of Administration

48 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yeah, I’m pretty pissed off about that honestly. I support wrestling quite a bit and things have been on the upturn and the recruiting classes continue to get better. ADMA screwed the pooch on this a number of ways. I spoke with one of the wrestlers and also one of the former assistant coaches about this and bottom line is ADMA didn’t like Coach Stutzmans approach to fighting for his guys and their health. As I assume you all know, he really only cares about football, there is no grey area there. I am really happy with the Lembo hiring and I think he is a great fit. However, no UB athlete should be made to feel like this or be subject to these conditions. I firmly believe the administration is 95% in the wrong here. The reason I’m holding back 5% is because nothing is black and white. This is a huge embarrassment and one more obstacle for the next coach to have to overcome. 

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Yeah, I’m pretty pissed off about that honestly. I support wrestling quite a bit and things have been on the upturn and the recruiting classes continue to get better. ADMA screwed the pooch on this a number of ways. I spoke with one of the wrestlers and also one of the former assistant coaches about this and bottom line is ADMA didn’t like Coach Stutzmans approach to fighting for his guys and their health. As I assume you all know, he really only cares about football, there is no grey area there. I am really happy with the Lembo hiring and I think he is a great fit. However, no UB athlete should be made to feel like this or be subject to these conditions. I firmly believe the administration is 95% in the wrong here. The reason I’m holding back 5% is because nothing is black and white. This is a huge embarrassment and one more obstacle for the next coach to have to overcome. 

I’ve been so frustrated with Athletics for so long. It’s time for a new bold leader. 

On 4/17/2024 at 5:51 PM, dutchcountry7 said:

Anyone want to venture on to the conspiracy side and think they want to get rid of wrestling altogether? Either to save money or replace it with another sport, bringing baseball or men’s soccer back?

5 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Anyone want to venture on to the conspiracy side and think they want to get rid of wrestling altogether? Either to save money or replace it with another sport, bringing baseball or men’s soccer back?

The baseball "stadium" doesn't exist anymore and the MAC doesn't sponsor men's soccer anymore. I would love if we sponsored those sports but it isn't simple.

Anywho, rumor has it that Donnie Vinson has been hired. https://cornellbigred.com/sports/wrestling/roster/coaches/donnie-vinson/10150

On 4/20/2024 at 9:43 AM, Blue03 said:

No.

The issue is simply that the admin needs a sport in the MAC to keep their minimum sponsorship requirement.  Wrestling is that sport.  But there is no requirement that you have to give any attention to the sport or make any investment in it.

ADMA and Co are just checking the box and are doing the absolute bare minimum required when it comes to wrestling.  Over the years when resources have had to be pulled from somewhere to support the increased needs for football, sports like wrestling suffered.  The previous staff was telling the admin they were doing less than the minimum required as their neglect was starting to impact the health of the athletes.  That's when a change in staff was made.  Can't have a staff complaining like that.  From the admin's perspective, the staff should have been grateful they even had a program.

It's a smart move from the admin.  Young coaches will overwork themselves and try to push through with promises of future investment that never comes.  They have bought themselves some more years of neglect with a motivated young coach.

On 4/20/2024 at 9:43 AM, Blue03 said:

There are two sports that the boosters and alumni have been pushing for (but the admin has had no interest in)...

Men's Lacrosse and Men's Ice Hockey.

With the geographic footprint of the UB alumni base and where we recruit students these are two very popular sports.  They are also two expensive sports to operate and there isn't any reason to believe that they would generate fan support that would help offset the costs.

As long as those two factions are fighting over which sport to add, you can guarantee that neither will be added.  But if the supporters consolidated and got behind only one of the sports then it would be possible for there to be enough momentum to consider adding one of the sports and that would likely result in eliminating a current sport.

With the addition of UMass to the MAC, the MAC could start sponsoring Men's Ice Hockey as a conference sport.  You need six schools for a conference and adding Buffalo (with Bowling Green, Miami-OH, UMass, & Western Michigan) the MAC would simply need one associate member and there are many available in Ice Hockey.  This would give the MAC an auto-bid to the NCAA tournament.  (Of course, the Pugulas would not be supportive as it would be increased competition for the Sabres.)

While the MAC sponsors Women's Lacrosse (Akron, CMU, EMU, Kent State with Association Members Detroit-Mecy, Robert Morris, & Youngstown State), there aren't any MAC Men's Lacrosse Schools.  However, the sport is very popular within New York with many local D1 programs to play (Albany, Binghamton, Hobart, St. Bona, Syracuse, St. John's Hofstra, Stony Brook, Le Moyne, Cornell, Canisius, Iona, Manhattan, Marist, Siena, Long Island, Wagner, Army, Colgate).

The reality is that no sport will be successful at UB without the investment and fan support.  And the leadership is only focused on one sport.  The other successes are largely incidental. 

19 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

There are two sports that the boosters and alumni have been pushing for (but the admin has had no interest in)...

Men's Lacrosse and Men's Ice Hockey.

With the geographic footprint of the UB alumni base and where we recruit students these are two very popular sports.  They are also two expensive sports to operate and there isn't any reason to believe that they would generate fan support that would help offset the costs.

As long as those two factions are fighting over which sport to add, you can guarantee that neither will be added.  But if the supporters consolidated and got behind only one of the sports then it would be possible for there to be enough momentum to consider adding one of the sports and that would likely result in eliminating a current sport.

Am I mistaken or have I seen Tunney Murchie sitting mat-side at home wrestling matches? 

8 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

No.

The issue is simply that the admin needs a sport in the MAC to keep their minimum sponsorship requirement.  Wrestling is that sport.  But there is no requirement that you have to give any attention to the sport or make any investment in it.

ADMA and Co are just checking the box and are doing the absolute bare minimum required when it comes to wrestling.  Over the years when resources have had to be pulled from somewhere to support the increased needs for football, sports like wrestling suffered.  The previous staff was telling the admin they were doing less than the minimum required as their neglect was starting to impact the health of the athletes.  That's when a change in staff was made.  Can't have a staff complaining like that.  From the admin's perspective, the staff should have been grateful they even had a program.

It's a smart move from the admin.  Young coaches will overwork themselves and try to push through with promises of future investment that never comes.  They have bought themselves some more years of neglect with a motivated young coach.

Basically, where we are is due to that fact we hired a tunnel visioned AD that has no interest in anything other than Football and he royally screwed that up. Instead of finding someone similar to LL to keep the machine rolling, he bought in hook, line and sinker to a smooth talking snake oil salesman that never really accomplished much in the world of coaching.

He chose not to make an inspiring hire for MBB and lost the Oats momentum. NIL probably played into the decision on the current coaching search, but I'm sure the more experience, veteran guys that were talked to saw thru ADMAs BS and decided it wasn't worth their time to fight that battle.

He lucked up on BB and she is likely overperforming even though the 1st season weas rough at times.

The handling of wrestling is deplorable and I have heard may 1st hand accounts of the ridiculousness they had to tolerate.

The only good things he has done is NOT fire Coach Burke of Women's Soccer since he is doing great and Coach Shepherd for Women's Volleyball is top notch. Even the "Sports Performance Center" is nothing more that a front for more Football allotment. I'm sure other sports can technically use the facility, but probably from the houses of 2-4am.

I was really hoping Missouri would take him, but I don't think that is happening.