Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Women's MAC rooting interests

rma

Women are 11-5 in conference.  Regular season MAC title is a longshot (we're out with a loss or next CMU win), but still have a good chance at a part of the East title and we're in a good spot for a bye. 

D0sUID1WwAIqeYh.jpg

NIU can't catch us, unless we get into a 3 way tie (we hold the H2H).  We don't need to worry about Toledo or Kent State if we win one more or either team loses one more.

Current rooting interests in bold, may change if we start rooting for seeding.

Today:

Ohio at Akron Ohio wins

Wednesday March 6:

Ohio at Miami 

Bowling Green at Buffalo

Western Michigan at Central Michigan

Toledo at Eastern Michigan

Kent State at Akron

Saturday March 9:

Bowling Green at Ohio

Akron at Miami

Buffalo at Kent State

Toledo at Central Michigan

Edited by rma
  • Like 1

It would be nice to get to the 2-3 line and avoid CMU until the finals. The 4 line would be challenging, having to face Toledo followed by CMU. Gotta win the final 2 and let the chips fall where they may. The team had a super week, beating the current 2 & 3 seeds by a combined 60 points!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

It would be nice to get to the 2-3 line and avoid CMU until the finals. The 4 line would be challenging, having to face Toledo followed by CMU. Gotta win the final 2 and let the chips fall where they may. The team had a super week, beating the current 2 & 3 seeds by a combined 60 points!

A super week is an understatement. After their loss to a not very good Akron team it looked like we would have a tough go to be the 4 seed with games against Ohio and Miami. It just goes to show that is why they have to play the games. Kudos to the coaching staff and the players for their total adjustment. Not sure if Coach Jack talked to Nate but their defensive intensity with all five players moving  as one took Miami out of their offense and the UB offensive quickness and ball movement was by far the best we have seen all year.Kudos to Coach Jack for starting Finess Dickson at point and Adebola Adeyeye the 6’2 freshman forward who is a stronger more physical presence in the post along with Summer to neutralize the bigs of Miami. They both are still freshman but they are showing improvement from the start of the season. Onwuka also had a good game who does have the athletic quickness needed on defense but is still out of control on offense at times. Still need to get contributions from Wilkins, Morrison and Hall in order for us to go far in the MAc tourney. Hope for a big crowd on Wed and the final time to see Cierra Dillard. Go Bulls!!!!!

My thoughts for top 4 seeding is that we went to avoid CMU at all costs. If they drop to 2, we’re better off taking the 4, since we match up much better with Miami and Ohio (3-1 against them, loss in OT).

Frost and Hudson are two of the best players the MAC WBB has seen (at least recently). Dillard is up there too, but we unfortunately don’t have two of her. 

4 hours ago, rma said:

Women are 11-5 in conference.  Regular season MAC title is a longshot (we're out with a loss or next CMU win), but still have a good chance at a part of the East title and we're in a good spot for a bye. 

D0d6ChpWoAUvjTy.jpg

NIU can't catch us, unless we get into a 3 way tie (we hold the H2H).  We don't need to worry about Toledo or Kent State if we win one more or either team loses one more.

Current rooting interests in bold, may change if we start rooting for seeding.

Today:

Ohio at Akron

Wednesday March 6:

Ohio at Miami - I think Ohio here gives us an advantage in a 3 way MU-OU-UB tiebreaker, and helps us towards an East title.

Bowling Green at Buffalo

Western Michigan at Central Michigan

Toledo at Eastern Michigan

Kent State at Akron

Saturday March 9:

Bowling Green at Ohio

Akron at Miami

Buffalo at Kent State

Toledo at Central Michigan

Well done!

Updated original post based on a few assumptions.

1. Top 4 teams don't lose either of the games against non-top 4 teams (CMU and UB win out)

2. We do not want to play CMU.

We lose the H2H tiebreaker against Ohio (1-1 H2H, 2 division losses vs 3 division losses), so it is essential that we do not tie them for 3rd place.  This would mean that we're matched 1-4 vs CMU instead of 2-3 vs Ohio.  Unfortunately, the path to a 2-3 matchup vs Miami involves Ohio losing to BG, which is unlikely.

For what it is worth (not much in reality) ESPN has the women as an at large 10 seed going out to Stanford for the opening round.  Another Sweet 16 run would send the to Chicago.  At one time they had three schools from the MAC in hte tournament,  Now it is two, with Central going in as the conference champion.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology 

As of the completion of all games as of 3-3-19.  The link will go to the most recent predictions as they are updated.

Edited by BrooklynBull

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

For what it is worth (not much in reality) ESPN has the women as an at large 10 seed going out to Stanford for the opening round.  Another Sweet 16 run would send the to Chicago.  At one time they had three schools from the MAC in hte tournament,  Now it is two, with Central going in as the conference champion.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology 

As of the completion of all games as of 3-3-19.  The link will go to the most recent predictions as they are updated.

This is kinda big. Last week we were in the next four out line. That’s a pretty big jump. Good to get some recognition for beating the two top Mac teams record wise. Gotta keep the momentum going. Very winnable games to close out the season. Gotta win them. Then let’s make a Mac tourney run.

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

This is kinda big. Last week we were in the next four out line. That’s a pretty big jump. Good to get some recognition for beating the two top Mac teams record wise. Gotta keep the momentum going. Very winnable games to close out the season. Gotta win them. Then let’s make a Mac tourney run.

well, if we were "next four out" and beat 2 teams (by huge margins) that were in (but barely), it's very reasonable to be listed as "in" now. We need to win these final 2. It's never easy when in a strong conference and having to play the final one on the road. Hopefully we can jump to the 3 seed in the process!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

well, if we were "next four out" and beat 2 teams (by huge margins) that were in (but barely), it's very reasonable to be listed as "in" now. We need to win these final 2. It's never easy when in a strong conference and having to play the final one on the road. Hopefully we can jump to the 3 seed in the process!

Yes it shows you how finicky the selection process is. I was simple just saying that it’s nice that our two big wins have not gone unnoticed. Whereas with the men we win and get no credit bc we aren’t blowing teams out. 

Also the ladies have a home game against BG Wednesday. Must win against the leagues worst team that beat us. Then they close with Kent which is on the road and will impact seeding.

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yes it shows you how finicky the selection process is. I was simple just saying that it’s nice that our two big wins have not gone unnoticed. Whereas with the men we win and get no credit bc we aren’t blowing teams out. 

Also the ladies have a home game against BG Wednesday. Must win against the leagues worst team that beat us. Then they close with Kent which is on the road and will impact seeding.

Do agree. With have to win our last two games regardless of what happens with the teams that are above us in the MAC. Hope Dillard, Hemphill and company can keep up their defensive intensity and get contributions on the offenseive end from some other players. Go Bulls!!!!

A win or MU loss gives us the 3 seed.  We cannot catch up and get a 2 seed.  A BG win would give us a share of the MAC East title combined with a UB win.

A loss and MU win would be devastating (being on the same side of the bracket as CMU).

Edited by rma

4 minutes ago, rma said:

A win or MU loss gives us the 3 seed.  We cannot catch up and get a 2 seed.  A BG win would give us a share of the MAC East title combined with a UB win.

A loss and MU win would be devastating (being on the same side of the bracket as CMU).

Would we be able to get to the 2 seed if Ohio was to lose and UB/MU win, making a 3-way tie? Not trying to nit-pick, just wondering how the 3-way tiebreak works. We would have a 3-1 record against those teams, which is pretty strong. Admittedly, I haven't looked at the OU/MU head-to-head records, outside of knowing that OU won tonight. I would be more than happy with the 3 seed, as it would be the late game on Wednesday and I'd be able to make it (in addition to being away from CMU until the finals).

Regardless, UB needs to win the game on Saturday. Hopefully Cierra's jumper is a bit stronger than tonight (love the FT% however!), Teresa runs wild on D, and Summer and Morrison can continue to be absolute beasts down low like tonight. Without taking care of our own business, it's all moot.

10 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Would we be able to get to the 2 seed if Ohio was to lose and UB/MU win, making a 3-way tie? Not trying to nit-pick, just wondering how the 3-way tiebreak works. We would have a 3-1 record against those teams, which is pretty strong.

Oh yeah, you're right.  For some reason I thought OU won the first game between them and MU.  That being said, I think 2 vs 3 matters less than 3 vs 4.

2. For MULTIPLE (3 or more) team ties:
E. Total won-lost record/winning percentage* of games played among the tied teams

UB 3-1

OU 2-2

MU 1-3

Edited by rma

2 minutes ago, rma said:

Oh yeah, you're right.  For some reason I thought OU won the first game between them and MU.  That being said, I think 2 vs 3 matters less than 3 vs 4.

2. For MULTIPLE (3 or more) team ties:
E. Total won-lost record/winning percentage* of games played among the tied teams

UB 3-1

OU 2-2

MU 1-3

Probably unlikely for OU to lose at home vs. BG, but you never know. I mean, we smoked OU at their place, so I guess their home isn't a guarantee. Let's just got our win and let the chips (not a pun) fall where they may.

Without looking at seeding, I think a loss here bumps us almost out of at large consideration.  Then add in that we're on the same side of the bracket as CMU (vs a struggling Ohio) I think it's WNIT.

That's not to say that WNIT is bad.  It's where I thought we would be at the beginning of the season.  And given the number and quality of players we lost last year, not a bad place to be at all.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Hear me out...the sooner we get CMU that’s less games we have to play to get the chance to pick up a resume building win. So would you rather play CMU sooner and take our shot or potentially never get the chance to play bc we got knocked out before the final?

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This could be a blessing in disguise. Hear me out...the sooner we get CMU that’s less games we have to play to get the chance to pick up a resume building win. So would you rather play CMU sooner and take our shot or potentially never get the chance to play bc we got knocked out before the final?

I would rather not see them and take our chances vs. Ohio who we split with in the semis, in which case all 3 teams could potentially be in. If we're the 4, we likely would have to beat CMU to make it to the finals at minimum to get a shot at an at-large.