Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

'19-20 NET Rankings

Jeseph

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

The first NCAA NET rankings have been released...

Kent St.: 59 
Akron: 63
Bowling Green: 113
Toledo: 116
Buffalo: 155

Alabama: 96

Appears that there is an issue with record by quadrant - but the breakdown highlights a missed opportunity by this team:

Quadrant                 Buffalo Record                 Kent St Record

Q1                                 1-0                                         0-1

Q2                                 0-2                                         1-0

Q3                                 3-0                                         1-0

Q4                                 1-2 *                                      4-0 **

*(note their schedule shows 1-0 but I think both Dartmouth and Army are Q4 - so I have added here).

**(This assumes home wins against Fort Wayne, Concord, Detroit and Cleveland St). 

If they win the Dartmouth and Army games, which they should have, we would be talking about them being ranked much better (close to 100 points better).  So while I have been in camp this season is primarily about  MAC tournament, I am seeing the light that the OOC does matter as they would be talking about Buffalo as ranked right up there with Kent St / Akron and having a Q1 win. 

I also wish to reiterate that this is the time that they should be working to come together as a team, and that has not happened on a consistent basis. 

Ohio is also ranked 107 right now, giving the MAC East the top 4 and 5 of the top 7.  (Eastern is the other West team ranked in the top 150, but with all the non-D1 games they show a 5-1 record against a SOS of 329.)  Of those top 7, Buffalo has the best SOS at 38, no one else is better than 175.

• Thanks 1

NET is totally irrelevant this year. Last year it meant a ton in positioning for a potential at large bid. Again, one must hope the team grows and plays much better as the season goes on circa 2015-16 where Hamilton and Conner blossomed as season progressed.

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

NET is totally irrelevant this year. Last year it meant a ton in positioning for a potential at large bid. Again, one must hope the team grows and plays much better as the season goes on circa 2015-16 where Hamilton and Conner blossomed as season progressed.

I agree we were not going to get an at large bid.  But NET is not 'totally irrelevant'.  I would much prefer rankings that we are between 50-100 than 150-200 at this point.  I think prospective recruits would agree.  Especially, since there isn't any reason why that should not be the case.  Hopefully they turn things around in last few OOC (win all 3) and MAC season to bring ranking closer to 100. At this point,  if we make the NCAA tournament - we would not be getting much buzz about a team that could pull off an upset.   Still time to turn that around, we shall see how they respond.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree we were not going to get an at large bid.  But NET is not 'totally irrelevant'.  I would much prefer rankings that we are between 50-100 than 150-200 at this point.  I think prospective recruits would agree.  Especially, since there isn't any reason why that should not be the case.  Hopefully they turn things around in last few OOC (win all 3) and MAC season to bring ranking closer to 100. At this point,  if we make the NCAA tournament - we would not be getting much buzz about a team that could pull off an upset.   Still time to turn that around, we shall see how they respond.

I certainly don't disagree. But with ugly losses to Dartmouth and Army we're already in serious trouble with this metric and heaven forbid should we lose to Canisius or another cream puff the only hope is a strong run in March.

49 minutes ago, UB85 said:

I certainly don't disagree. But with ugly losses to Dartmouth and Army we're already in serious trouble with this metric and heaven forbid should we lose to Canisius or another cream puff the only hope is a strong run in March.

You and I are aligned that we need to win in Cleveland in March to achieve goal #1 - reaching the NCAA tournament.  The point I am trying to make is that there is relevance to these out of conference games.  If we took care of business against Dartmouth and Army, our ranking, while not worthy of an at large bid, would be more respectable.  Losing to Dartmouth / Army will likely cost us in seeding, if we achieve goal #1.  This means we will be in fewer discussions about potential upsets, so less favorable buzz surrounding the team during the tournament. This is why we need to start playing better on a consistent basis - which means you beat teams that you are favored to beat by double digits. 

I’m sorry but I think recruits pay attention to who makes the tournament more than anything. Then facilities and exposure. I don’t think they care about a ranking system in which most ppl can’t understand the math behind it.

As for the rankings...ours would be higher had we handled business. It’s a shame. But numbers can be manipulated to fit any argument. For example we play at one of the best tempos yet we turn the ball over a ton. The reality is we need to start growing and start winning. The MAC, as supported by the metrics, will be tougher. Time to start becoming consistent as we finish out non conference and begin conference play.

• Like 1

Kent State needing to go to overtime to beat a really bad NC A&T team shows that even good teams play inconsistent at times and are prone to bad games. This may be one of the most inconsistent teams UB has had in a very long time but at their best they’re capable of pulling off road Q1 wins and at their worst losing home Q4 games. I think some of the players are getting some “do you know who I play for” syndrome and are living off last years success without taking their competition seriously enough.

Edited by 961819