Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Akron - Rescheduled 12/2 - 1 PM

UBlearns

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Who's going to be at the game on Friday afternoon?

I'll be there in spirit via ESPN+

Did UB excuse classes tomorrow afternoon and you get bonus points for any classes you missed if you attend the game and stay to the end? 🤣

6 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I'll be there in spirit via ESPN+

Did UB excuse classes tomorrow afternoon and you get bonus points for any classes you missed if you attend the game and stay to the end? 🤣

It wouldn’t even matter if you gave UB students that they don’t care. UB Bulls football should have moved there home games to the new Bills stadium in 2026 to have a chance at being a elite Power 5 program. To stay at UB North Campus for 2,000 UB students opening day then it goes down as the season gets colder isn’t worth it. The new Bills stadium will be state of the art that isn’t UB Stadium that will be 35 years old by then. I don’t think it’s worth renovating a track stadium and the state of New York has no interest. The Murchie Family can’t build UB a stadium too we should have moved to Orchard Park even though would be further for UB fans like myself in Amherst I would have voted yes. Because the lack of UB students support and the no real interest with New York State building UB a San Diego State Snap Dragon Stadium. If you did a poll outside of UB in the Buffalo area 90% would say UB Stadium is too far dated to renovate we need a new state of the art football stadium. We have everything else than look potential UB student athletes we play our games at UB Stadium. Oh can’t we stay in the UB Field house and locker room. What is up with that scoreboard? Is that from the Reagan administration or the Clinton administration? Whatever it is I can only see shadows with glare from the sunlight it looks like early Nintendo in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

14 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Officiating was not our problem in the loss to Kent St. but it really does seem like Buffalo is still considered a MAC "Outsider" the other programs have been together 50+ years so UB winning anything seems an affront to the conference and they need to keep us in our place. Maybe it's my bias but in many sports it feels that way. We are the only team in the conference that never gets "home" calls in anything.

We have not been getting "home calls" since at least 1976, 1977 for football.

6 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

What is up with that scoreboard? Is that from the Reagan administration or the Clinton administration?

Its a 19" Zenith Vacuum Tube w/ Chromacolor.  I believe they got it on clearance at Montgomery Wards in the 70s.  It originally was a console TV, but somebody smart was thinking ahead and extracted it from its wooden confines for the sole purpose of using it as our state of the art scoreboard we have today.

Its a little known secret that if you show up late at night at UB Stadium, you can usually find people playing Pong on it.  And if you do catch them there, you'll here them whispering about "upgrades" and something about an "Atari". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

It wouldn’t even matter if you gave UB students that they don’t care. UB Bulls football should have moved there home games to the new Bills stadium in 2026 to have a chance at being a elite Power 5 program. To stay at UB North Campus for 2,000 UB students opening day then it goes down as the season gets colder isn’t worth it. The new Bills stadium will be state of the art that isn’t UB Stadium that will be 35 years old by then. I don’t think it’s worth renovating a track stadium and the state of New York has no interest. The Murchie Family can’t build UB a stadium too we should have moved to Orchard Park even though would be further for UB fans like myself in Amherst I would have voted yes. Because the lack of UB students support and the no real interest with New York State building UB a San Diego State Snap Dragon Stadium. If you did a poll outside of UB in the Buffalo area 90% would say UB Stadium is too far dated to renovate we need a new state of the art football stadium. We have everything else than look potential UB student athletes we play our games at UB Stadium. Oh can’t we stay in the UB Field house and locker room. What is up with that scoreboard? Is that from the Reagan administration or the Clinton administration? Whatever it is I can only see shadows with glare from the sunlight it looks like early Nintendo in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You are never getting an elite P5 program to play in Western NY for an OOC game no matter the venue. 
could the stadium be better, of course, maybe it is me but I would be just as likely to drive 7 hr to see UB play at the old Rotary field ( it is not there anymore right? But the point is the same) as I would UB stadium or whatever they call the Bills stadium these days. Maybe Vman or rma, who travel to a ton of stadiums are better able to comment but if there is a team you want to see does the venue matter that much? I agree a venue may get you to try a place for teams you do not care about  once but again and again? 
the issue is not the stadium but the general lack of interest/culture and a stadium is not going to fix that for more that a few games, IMO.

On 11/29/2022 at 4:17 PM, UBinMD said:

McNulty stepped forward this year. I did not close my eyes on every FG and PAT this year. I'm happy about that.

This is unfair to McNulty and doesn't recognize how good he has been for almost all of his UB career, especially on extra points.  That was always an adventure, pre-McNulty.  Heck, I think we missed a tying extra point at the end of a game versus NIU several years ago (we came back late).

McNulty on extra points

2018:   3/4 on extra points
2019:   40/42 on extra points
2020:  42/42 on extra points
2021:   37/37 on extra points
2022:   37/38 on extra points (not including the many he will kick today versus Akron).

It is, basically, automatic and we did not have that prior to McNulty.

McNulty on FG within 40 yards

2018:   1/1
2019:  8/10
2020:  1/3
2021:   8/9
2022:  10/11

Where McNulty has really become a weapon this year is 40+ yards on FG, where he is 10/12.

UBinMD, the reality is you haven't had to close your eyes on extra points for many years, not just this year.  You (and many others) will miss him when he is gone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

What is the problem with shadows in a stadium?  Shadows are great.

Don Larsen, who threw only perfect game in World Series history, dies at 90  | theScore.com

Have you ever tried to read the trivia question that is posted on the UB Stadium scoreboard during a day game?

I also don't think shadows were too much of a concern when Babe Ruth was pitching because the games weren't broadcasted on TV. You'd have to listen to John Sterling on the radio back in those days.

6 minutes ago, Majortomxiii said:

You are never getting an elite P5 program to play in Western NY for an OOC game no matter the venue. 
could the stadium be better, of course, maybe it is me but I would be just as likely to drive 7 hr to see UB play at the old Rotary field ( it is not there anymore right? But the point is the same) as I would UB stadium or whatever they call the Bills stadium these days. Maybe Vman or rma, who travel to a ton of stadiums are better able to comment but if there is a team you want to see does the venue matter that much? I agree a venue may get you to try a place for teams you do not care about  once but again and again? 
the issue is not the stadium but the general lack of interest/culture and a stadium is not going to fix that for more that a few games, IMO.

This is pretty much spot on.....for us diehards.....it really doesnt matter.....

BUT....it would be nice for them to at least address some of the creature comforts not only for us that are there every game, but also make the game day experience a little nicer for those that dont attend all the time.

Concessions are still lacking, heat in the bathrooms (I dont think they turned the heat on in the bathrooms for the Kent game, Im curious to see if its on today)), and of course the scoreboard.....

For any of out-of-towners....the scoreboard IS becoming a joke.  Example 1: they started putting trivia up on the scoreboard during breaks.....you literally cannot read the words, so its just a waste of pixels and time.  Example 2:  The go to "get the crowd involved" game that theyve been using since I started going on 2007, the 3 Hat shuffle/Find the football game, is to the point where the game starts and then about half way through the video freezes.  Example 3:  The few replays they may have, are so unclear and grainy that its just a waste to even look.

5 minutes ago, UB92 said:

This is unfair to McNulty and doesn't recognize how good he has been for almost all of his UB career, especially on extra points.  That was always an adventure, pre-McNulty.  Heck, I think we missed a tying extra point at the end of a game versus NIU several years ago (we came back late).

McNulty on extra points

2018:   3/4 on extra points
2019:   40/42 on extra points
2020:  42/42 on extra points
2021:   37/37 on extra points
2022:   37/38 on extra points (not including the many he will kick today versus Akron).

It is, basically, automatic and we did not have that prior to McNulty.

McNulty on FG within 40 yards

2018:   1/1
2019:  8/10
2020:  1/3
2021:   8/9
2022:  10/11

Where McNulty has really become a weapon this year is 40+ yards on FG, where he is 10/12.

UBinMD, the reality is you haven't had to close your eyes on extra points for many years, not just this year.  You (and many others) will miss him when he is gone.

I do not doubt that, hopefully we have some in the wings to step up. You are right on those stats, for some reason it felt worse. I know that during the LL era there seemed to be little faith in our kicking game. Last year with Mo, there seemed to be ultimate faith. In looking at the stats, it was the 40+ that was more of an issue and I guess stuck with me. Prior to this year he was 5-12 40-49 and 2-6 on 50+. This year those are 8-9 and 2-3 respectively which is what really lead to his honor. Not taking anything away from him at all, he had a great career and will likely be missed next year. Kick #1 that I witnessed in person at Maryland was fugly though, which he would readily admit I'm sure. Since then, he has been money.

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

I do not doubt that, hopefully we have some in the wings to step up. You are right on those stats, for some reason it felt worse. I know that during the LL era there seemed to be little faith in our kicking game. Last year with Mo, there seemed to be ultimate faith. In looking at the stats, it was the 40+ that was more of an issue and I guess stuck with me. Prior to this year he was 5-12 40-49 and 2-6 on 50+. This year those are 8-9 and 2-3 respectively which is what really lead to his honor. Not taking anything away from him at all, he had a great career and will likely be missed next year. Kick #1 that I witnessed in person at Maryland was fugly though, which he would readily admit I'm sure. Since then, he has been money.

Not to discredit special teams, but if the only example of "improvement" that is on the tip of peoples tongues is the kicker....and the need to "defend" the kicker.....theres something pretty wrong about that....

40 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

There are some rumors of a coming upgrade.  37" Sony Triniton.

Well that explains alot......Ill have to let my neighbor know where his TV went that he put out at the curb Wednesday evening before garbage day.  Also explains the weird white van with UB markings that I saw driving around the neighborhood slowly looking at everybodies garbage. 

#GameDayExperience

38 minutes ago, BRJACR75 said:

This is pretty much spot on.....for us diehards.....it really doesnt matter.....

BUT....it would be nice for them to at least address some of the creature comforts not only for us that are there every game, but also make the game day experience a little nicer for those that dont attend all the time.

Concessions are still lacking, heat in the bathrooms (I dont think they turned the heat on in the bathrooms for the Kent game, Im curious to see if its on today)), and of course the scoreboard.....

For any of out-of-towners....the scoreboard IS becoming a joke.  Example 1: they started putting trivia up on the scoreboard during breaks.....you literally cannot read the words, so its just a waste of pixels and time.  Example 2:  The go to "get the crowd involved" game that theyve been using since I started going on 2007, the 3 Hat shuffle/Find the football game, is to the point where the game starts and then about half way through the video freezes.  Example 3:  The few replays they may have, are so unclear and grainy that its just a waste to even look.

I get it, when I go once a year at best it is not a big deal but week in week out year in year out the lack of effort to improve the experience must get offensive 

1 hour ago, BRJACR75 said:

Concessions are still lacking

For the MBB/WBB doubleheader security stopped me for trying to bring in sandwiches. Said outside food isn't allowed because we have concession stands, which may just be a policy that the guy made up because it's not listed on the website. Options at the concession stand are pizza, pretzels, Pizza Logs (which is an improvement!), hamburgers, hot dogs, and the normal candy/chips etc. No re-entry so you can't leave during the break and get something to eat. Not very accommodating for those that have dietary restrictions. The college kids next to us in the stands brought a full backpack and a bag of pretzels into the game. I guess I just got the guy that takes his job a little too seriously.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rma said:

For the MBB/WBB doubleheader security stopped me for trying to bring in sandwiches. Said outside food isn't allowed because we have concession stands, which may just be a policy that the guy made up because it's not listed on the website. Options at the concession stand are pizza, pretzels, Pizza Logs (which is an improvement!), hamburgers, hot dogs, and the normal candy/chips etc. No re-entry so you can't leave during the break and get something to eat. Not very accommodating for those that have dietary restrictions. The college kids next to us in the stands brought a full backpack and a bag of pretzels into the game. I guess I just got the guy that takes his job a little too seriously.

Is security provided by the MAC?? Maybe we get screwed with bad MAC Home Security too!

Just now, UBinMD said:

Is security provided by the MAC?? Maybe we get screwed with bad MAC Home Security too!

No, I believe it's athletics possibly via an outside entity. It's whatever....as a student I walked into that arena with a lot more food than a sandwich before and there were students that walked in with backpacks full of not soda. But I understand with less fans coming in you have to make money however you can.

3 minutes ago, rma said:

No, I believe it's athletics possibly via an outside entity. It's whatever....as a student I walked into that arena with a lot more food than a sandwich before and there were students that walked in with backpacks full of not soda. But I understand with less fans coming in you have to make money however you can.

Back in the early 90's when I was a student I went to almost all games for most sports. Not even sure they had concessions. Everyone was just happy we were there! The early D1 days were awesome, got our asses handed to us on the regular, but we hosted Miami (Constantine Popa era) UMass when they were good (post Marcus Camby) and some other solid teams. Good times...

If we somehow pull off a win today, the bowling gods are going to have a HUGE laugh at our expense. The KVT revenge tour would potentially continue.

Camellia Bowl

Tuesday, December 27, 2022
12:00, ESPN
Cramton Bowl, Montgomery, AL
Last Year: Georgia State 51, Ball State 20
Bowl Ties: MAC vs Sun Belt (Conference USA)
Bowl Projection: Buffalo or UNLV vs Georgia Southern
Previous Bowl Projection: Eastern Michigan vs Appalachian State