Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB vs Canisius - 2:30pm

UBinMD

1 hour ago, bullsbball said:

I'm still trying to understand how standing during the game correlates to making the arena "rock".   

I've been to many games. Never stood. But EVERYBODY made to arena "rock" (including having a good team).

This year it will be tough. Seems like season tickets are way down. Hopefully the students can make up for that.

Ever watch a Duke game at Cameron Indoor? Plain and simple I rather attend a game with a rowdy crowd than those who sit on their hands and barely cheer, thus the need for artificial noise. I get it, we are grown adults can’t act like kids. But the students are kids…they can go nuts. Cow bell, naked dude and all. Bring the noise. An example…standing while chanting defense is better than fans who sit and wait for a forced turnover to cheer. Question for you…whether you are at home or at any sporting event…do you not stand when moments are tense?

• Like 1

I was stationed in front of the Bonnie student section in the South bleachers for yesterdays game.  There were 75-100 kids in the section.  The were loud, and cheered their team on throughout the game.  They never sat down once.  I might also add they were very family friendly.  I heard 1 F-bomb the whole time and that was after a terrible Bonnie turnover.  Our student section was rather full.  I couldn't tell from where I was standing, but they must have all been napping in the bleachers.  Other than a very few right behind the basket, I'm guessing the rest of them had very warm hands from sitting on them the entire game.  I will say that our band members do step up.  The sound good when playing, and they get into the game somewhat.

On 12/3/2022 at 6:31 AM, DooleyBull06 said:

Ever watch a Duke game at Cameron Indoor? Plain and simple I rather attend a game with a rowdy crowd … 

The student section should be moved behind the visitor’s bench.  
A) they would have move incentive to be loud. 
B) their (hopefully rowdy) behavior would be seen on camera.  People watching on tv would see an atmosphere that they would like to be a part of in person. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

The student section should be moved behind the visitor’s bench.  
A) they would have move incentive to be loud. 
B) their (hopefully rowdy) behavior would be seen on camera.  People watching on tv would see an atmosphere that they would like to be a part of in person. 

It use to be. But that changed once they renovated the seats to chair backs.

27 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I remember… Displaced for ticket sales.  How’s that working out?   Might be time to re-evaluate that decision.   Figure out ways to improve atmosphere in order to increase revenue. 

Edit: split the difference.  Only transition a few rows into a student section.  Thus maintaining more ticketed seats.   Call it a True Blue Loyalty tax.  Only students deemed rowdy enough get assigned this premier section.  

Edited by 121Merrimac
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I remember… Displaced for ticket sales.  How’s that working out?   Might be time to re-evaluate that decision.   Figure out ways to improve atmosphere in order to increase revenue. 

Edit: split the difference.  Only transition a few rows into a student section.  Thus maintaining more ticketed seats.   Call it a True Blue Loyalty tax.  Only students deemed rowdy enough get assigned this premier section.  

I believe Illinois has a split. With students immediately in front then regular fans.

18 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

And I believe they got complaints from the standing students blocking the view of Season Ticket holders when they were behind the visitor bench.  Also the area behind the visitor bench is usually reserved for the visiting fans.

47 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

As recently as last year they were in the South end bleachers with the band pretty much right next to the visitors bench.  This year they moved the band to the other side of the South end.  Now they're next to the visitors tunnel.  It sucks.

I've asked before, why did they move the band? I always thought the band was supposed to be as close as possible to the visitor bench to make it hard during the timeouts. 

They also moved the cheerleaders to the North End but I assume that's because of the large numbers of Cheerleaders and Dazzlers this year.

3 hours ago, bullsbball said:

… they got complaints from the standing students blocking the view of Season Ticket holders when they were behind the visitor bench.  Also the area behind the visitor bench is usually reserved for the visiting fans  

Fair points.  I’d say; anticipate obstructed view complaints and sacrifice an empty row to avoid this issue.  4 rows of standing students + 1 empty.  If behind the bench is off limits, then why not on the opposite side of the court?   Get some students closer to the action, and more involved with the atmosphere.  Displaced ticket holders would obviously be compensated with xx Loyalty Points. 

Edit: limiting the quantity of premier student seats makes them more desirable, and should elevate interest in attending. 

Edited by 121Merrimac

3 hours ago, bullsbball said:

And I believe they got complaints from the standing students blocking the view of Season Ticket holders when they were behind the visitor bench.  Also the area behind the visitor bench is usually reserved for the visiting fans.

I've asked before, why did they move the band? I always thought the band was supposed to be as close as possible to the visitor bench to make it hard during the timeouts. 

They also moved the cheerleaders to the North End but I assume that's because of the large numbers of Cheerleaders and Dazzlers this year.

Conference decision. Not UB’s. 

43 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Fair points.  I’d say; anticipate obstructed view complaints and sacrifice an empty row to avoid this issue.  4 rows of standing students + 1 empty.  If behind the bench is off limits, then why not on the opposite side of the court?   Get some students closer to the action, and more involved with the atmosphere.  Displaced ticket holders would obviously be compensated with xx Loyalty Points. 

Edit: limiting the quantity of premier student seats makes them more desirable, and should elevate interest in attending. 

One row isn't enough. There are usually 3-4 rows empty behind the standing students in the South End.

You do realize that section 101-105 are by far the most expensive season ticket prices in the house.

14 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

… You do realize that section 101-105 are by far the most expensive season ticket prices in the house.

I understand, that’s why I didn’t suggest five sections.  Everyone wants to be better, but no one wants to change.  Forgive me, I’ll stop brainstorming potential improvements. 

5 hours ago, bullsbball said:

… they got complaints from the standing students blocking the view of Season Ticket holders when they were behind the visitor bench.  …

Nothing personal, but this is a fundamental problem that should never happen.  Buyers need to be aware of what they are purchasing. And, sellers need to be truthful about what they are offering.  Yes, you are close to the court, but the people in front of you might be standing. 

Are UB season ticket holders ever surveyed for their preferences?   Would you like to sit/stand, be quiet/loud, etc..   If not done already, creating sections of like minded fans could also help. 

Edit: Sudoku, or Crosswords?

Edited by 121Merrimac
  • Like 1