Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Football schedule released

promotherobot

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Conference game dates and times TBA,

Nice schedule honestly. Liberty and Louisiana should be good opponents for us. Wisconsin will be tough, especially out there. Hopefully Fordham is a W. Ohio at home is a plus. Toledo and Kent on the road may be tough.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Nice schedule honestly. Liberty and Louisiana should be good opponents for us. Wisconsin will be tough, especially out there. Hopefully Fordham is a W. Ohio at home is a plus. Toledo and Kent on the road may be tough.

I assume weeks 10 and 11 will be midweek MACtion games. Week 12 will probably be Thanksgiving Friday

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Four home games before the second week of October and no home games after the first week of November is the best sequencing we've had in years. Could make for solid attendance if the team is performing well. 

That is not the whole schedule.  The set dates are the first four weeks only.  We are playing same schools as last year.  When each game will be played is TBA.

The only news in that release is that we are not playing Old Dominion.  We are playing at Louisiana the week we were scheduled to play Old Dominion.  Louisiana comes to Buffalo on 9-21-30.

7 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

That is not the whole schedule.  The set dates are the first four weeks only.  We are playing same schools as last year.  When each game will be played is TBA.

The only news in that release is that we are not playing Old Dominion.  We are playing at Louisiana the week we were scheduled to play Old Dominion.  Louisiana comes to Buffalo on 9-21-30.

I have marked 9/21/30 on my calendar to come back to UB and root on the Bulls against the Ragin' Cajuns! 🤣

8 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Are you saying the MAC games aren't happening in the sequence shown in that graphic? I get that dates and times are not set but the opponents those given weeks are set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clodney said:

Any clue why we aren't playing ODU?

ULL had a non-con opening and already has an FCS team on the schedule, needed an FBS team to fill out their schedule for this season. ODU had 4 FBS teams for non-con this season, so they traded the H&H w/ UB to ULL.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, SW95 said:

ULL had a non-con opening and already has an FCS team on the schedule, needed an FBS team to fill out their schedule for this season. ODU had 4 FBS teams for non-con this season, so they traded the H&H w/ UB to ULL.

But we already played AT Old Dominion so that means all we gained was an Away game at Louisiana... Is this correct?

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Are you saying the MAC games aren't happening in the sequence shown in that graphic? I get that dates and times are not set but the opponents those given weeks are set.

It is the same order as last year.  It would be easy just to flip sites, but I do not think the MAC would do that.  Especially sending a school to Akron and Kent State in back to back weeks.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:12 AM, clodney said:

But we already played AT Old Dominion so that means all we gained was an Away game at Louisiana... Is this correct?

We sold our ODU return game for the Ohio State game that didn't happen in 2020.

2015 - Scheduled @ODU 2019 and @UB 2020

2018 - Changed to @ODU 2021 and @ODU 2023 to accommodate UB at OSU

2021 - we play @ODU and beat them

2023 - ODU drops return game, UB sets up home and home with UL

We essentially gave ODU our home game for the 2020 OSU game that didn't happen. They actually helped us out because we were supposed to have two home games there, and they only "charged" us for one.

Then we set up a home and home with UL.

• Like 1

Either way I would rather UB Bulls football play in Louisiana for football recruiting purposes it opens up a new opportunity recruiting wise over Old Dominion area we already have playing other Virginia football teams in the past in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, promotherobot said:

Conference game dates and times TBA,

I’ve talked extensively with friends about this, and perhaps I’m ignorant, but UB football has attendance issues. UB athletics tries to solve this by offering free chick-fil-a and shirts, but in my opinion there’s a much simpler solution to get people to show up. Why don’t we just call up Syracuse. Come up with some schedule where we play there 2 years and they come here once or something. They get their annual preseason thrashings and dominance of New York, we get paid and the added bonus of ticket sales. Might feel like an away game here but I bet we could sell out easy.

1 minute ago, Blue03 said:

I’ve talked extensively with friends about this, and perhaps I’m ignorant, but UB football has attendance issues. UB athletics tries to solve this by offering free chick-fil-a and shirts, but in my opinion there’s a much simpler solution to get people to show up. Why don’t we just call up Syracuse. Come up with some schedule where we play there 2 years and they come here once or something. They get their annual preseason thrashings and dominance of New York, we get paid and the added bonus of ticket sales. Might feel like an away game here but I bet we could sell out easy.

No chance they would play us here, we are an actual threat to beat them. I would be on board with it, but I would say the odds would be <1% even if we gave them 5 years to 1.

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

No chance they would play us here, we are an actual threat to beat them. I would be on board with it, but I would say the odds would be <1% even if we gave them 5 years to 1.

They’re not unfamiliar with MAC teams. Since 2014 they’ve done it a couple times. Played WMU home once and away twice. Did the same thing with CMU. Played at Ohio in 2021. I bet UB could convince them, our athletic department just doesn’t ever try to grow our program.

Just now, Blue03 said:

They’re not unfamiliar with MAC teams. Since 2014 they’ve done it a couple times. Played WMU home once and away twice. Did the same thing with CMU. Played at Ohio in 2021. I bet UB could convince them, our athletic department just doesn’t ever try to grow our program.

Correction, played in Syracuse twice and away once

21 hours ago, Blue03 said:

We could play a game at Highmark stadium. We drew 26K the last time we did that. It's our second highest home attendance number

On 2/27/2023 at 1:49 PM, Blue03 said:

I mean I'd like to see UB play Syracuse too, but how do we know the athletics department hasn't tried?  Unless someone here is inside football ops, I don't think there's any way for us to know how the scheduling plays out.  I would find it tough to believe that UB hasn't broached the subject of playing against Syracuse, or vice versa, but I could very well be wrong.

25 minutes ago, UBlearns said:

I mean I'd like to see UB play Syracuse too, but how do we know the athletics department hasn't tried?  Unless someone here is inside football ops, I don't think there's any way for us to know how the scheduling plays out.  I would find it tough to believe that UB hasn't broached the subject of playing against Syracuse, or vice versa, but I could very well be wrong.

From people I know, our athletics department can be very difficult. I feel from Syracuse’s point of view they would rather play us than another MAC team. An in-state game would bring more people, more excitement, more bragging rights.