Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

How Many Wins for UB Football (regular season)?

UB92

How Many Wins for UB Football (regular season)?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Wins for UB Football (regular season)?

• 10 - 12; Imagine that!
    • 8 - 9; Great year. Maybe even playing for a conference championship?
    • 6 - 7; Not much growth over last year, but likely a bowl game
    • 4 - 5; A step back, maybe a lot of injuries?
    • 0 - 3; Coach would be on the hot seat and might not survive.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/02/2023 at 07:31 PM

The MAC coaches have UB predicted to finish 3rd.   With those numbers, it seems about 6 - 7 wins in that scenario, perhaps.    https://getsomemaction.com/news/2023/7/16/football-toledo-ohio-selected-as-favorites-in-head-coaches-preseason-poll.aspx

What do you think will happen?  Or have we all forgot about the giant egg we laid at the end of the season at home...only to survive (and to win a bowl game) because we were playing Akron?   Perhaps we choose to forget!   After all, it is possible for us to go 12 - 0!   Go Bulls.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2023 at 9:35 PM, Blue03 said:

I would like to change my vote

It’s telling that only 16 UB fans voted in this poll. I know there are a lot more fans and alums than that who care about this program and are utterly embarrassed after 2 straight years losing to FCS programs. But games like this don’t do anything to drum up more support. Anything Mo will say after this game will ring very hollow. We’ve heard it all before!

Edited by Bluebird96

1 hour ago, HomeyG said:

We won’t be consistent top of mac team with Mo as head coach. He’s awful

I would say Mo is inexperienced, and was rushed by Alnutt to a role he should not have been promoted to until he did 2-3 years as a coordinator and proved he could lead and coordinate a unit.  Everyone knows he can sell/recruit, but there is a big jump from great recruiter to Headcoach.  His learning curve is steep, so we either stick with him, or regroup with an entire new staff.  Both are not great options after the success we had with Lance.  The cuperboard was not bare, and in today's world assembley players is a lot easier than in the past.  What Lance is doing at Kansas is very impressive.

My observation is that the record is directly related to inexperienced coaching, than the player talent and experience.

Edited by Sportsfan

On 9/9/2023 at 11:43 PM, promotherobot said:

These are the games that dash our hopes. We go into Madison and think "If we steal one we could be ranked." Then it's "Maybe we can make the MAC Championship."  Now it's "let's just be bowl eligible."

And now it’s, “Let’s just win a game, any game” 😂

• Like 3

The MAC is not looking very good this year so UB will be on more equal footing in conference play.  Akron, Bowling Green and Kent State are lousy for the most part. Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan are the definition of "Mid" when it comes to mid major FBS teams.   They should both beat this UB club but wouldn't shock me if the Bulls go 1-1 in these .  Ohio, Toledo and Miami look like the three best MAC teams and from what we've seen so far, three losses.  It's too bad we don't have Ball State and NIU on the schedule this year.  

• Like 1

On 9/25/2023 at 9:58 AM, zigo230 said:

The MAC is not looking very good this year so UB will be on more equal footing in conference play.  Akron, Bowling Green and Kent State are lousy for the most part. Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan are the definition of "Mid" when it comes to mid major FBS teams.   They should both beat this UB club but wouldn't shock me if the Bulls go 1-1 in these .  Ohio, Toledo and Miami look like the three best MAC teams and from what we've seen so far, three losses.  It's too bad we don't have Ball State and NIU on the schedule this year.  

It wouldn't surprise me. The M in MAC could stand for mediocre.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

So here we sit at 3-5 (3-1 MAC).  Could easily be 5-3 if we’d just taken care of Fordham and BGSU. Just another up and down season to keep things interesting.

If the D can keep playing at this level and the offense can limit the turnovers, maybe the Bulls can catch a couple of these next 3 teams by surprise and make things very interesting heading into the last game vs EMU.  Anything is possible in the MAC. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

So here we sit at 3-5 (3-1 MAC).  Could easily be 5-3 if we’d just taken care of Fordham and BGSU. Just another up and down season to keep things interesting.

If the D can keep playing at this level and the offense can limit the turnovers, maybe the Bulls can catch a couple of these next 3 teams by surprise and make things very interesting heading into the last game vs EMU.  Anything is possible in the MAC. 

Miami vs Ohio this week will be interesting to our possibilities too. Part of the good and bad of the MAC is that very rarely does a team just take the season by the throat and win. Every game is a dogfight so everyone appears mediocre. Need to figure out how to win 3 more games.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Miami vs Ohio this week will be interesting to our possibilities too. Part of the good and bad of the MAC is that very rarely does a team just take the season by the throat and win. Every game is a dogfight so everyone appears mediocre. Need to figure out how to win 3 more games.

Agree. Say what we will about the state of MAC football, I like that several teams have a decent chance to play in the title game almost every year.  Case in point, right now there are 6 teams within a game of the lead in their respective divisions (counting Toledo who leads the West by 1 game over NIU).

I’d like to think UB still has a shot but it sure won’t be an easy road especially these next 3 games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Blue03 said:

Well I guess it’s time to look back on this…

Originally none of us had less than 5 wins by the looks. I certainly drank the Kool Aid and was looking for a very good year and competing for a Championship. I will admit that I was duped. At least for basketball I wasn't expecting much this season.

Edited by UBinMD
  • Like 1

I know the facts are we were 3-9 and 3-5

But they could have honestly won every MAC game they played.

Definitely a weird year to digest. The defense played incredibly well.

The offense could really not have been any worse. No idea how they weren't even middling. If they were at least that, they are 6-2 in the Mac.

39 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

I know the facts are we were 3-9 and 3-5

But they could have honestly won every MAC game they played.

Definitely a weird year to digest. The defense played incredibly well.

The offense could really not have been any worse. No idea how they weren't even middling. If they were at least that, they are 6-2 in the Mac.

The defense got trounced up to and including Louisiana. They definitely got better against the weak sisters of the MAC, but we still got gashed again last night on the same play we got gashed on all season. I do not let the defense off the hook this season in any way, shape or form. The defense gave up more points (40) to Fordham than they did to Wisconsin (38). We gave up 55 to Liberty and 45 to Louisiana. The offense scored 17-37-27-38 in those 4 losses. Our 3 wins came against teams that were 8-25 overall (Note Central Michigan was 5-6, so the other two were 3-19 combined). There are no passes this year. 

10 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

The defense got trounced up to and including Louisiana. They definitely got better against the weak sisters of the MAC, but we still got gashed again last night on the same play we got gashed on all season. I do not let the defense off the hook this season in any way, shape or form. The defense gave up more points (40) to Fordham than they did to Wisconsin (38). We gave up 55 to Liberty and 45 to Louisiana. The offense scored 17-37-27-38 in those 4 losses. Our 3 wins came against teams that were 8-25 overall (Note Central Michigan was 5-6, so the other two were 3-19 combined). There are no passes this year. 

I would say our offense going 3-out over and over may have contributed to the defense getting gashed. They weren't great, but they were better than the offense.

2 minutes ago, clodney said:

I would say our offense going 3-out over and over may have contributed to the defense getting gashed. They weren't great, but they were better than the offense.

In the MAC games yes, at Wisconsin for 3 quarters yes, for the Fordham, Liberty and Louisiana, no they were not. Go back to the strings. We were giving up 500+ that had little to do with our offense. They seemed to figure some things out, but our pass rush was pretty poor most of the year. Our secondary was much better than it had been in the past. Linebackers were about in line with previous years, even with the Dolac loss.