Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ohio Game

BrooklynBull

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Not a big fan of alternating QBs, also haven’t seen what Ogbonna does well yet? because he mostly runs up the middle into a mass of humanity and rarely throws 

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Agreed, everyone, even people that know nothing about football know what is going to happen when 10 enters the game. I cringed a bit when the announcer said he was the future of the Bulls.

2 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Doesn’t seem like it’s fooling anyone. If anything the rotating QB scheme always seems to mess up the rhythm of the offense more than anything else.

Clumsy first quarter, thought UB should’ve put pts on the board when we had a chance at the short FG. But then again, anything under 40 Yds has been anything but automatic this season.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Definitely screws with the flow. Last thing we need is more uncertainty on the field. At least our D is doing their thing.

This offense is painful to watch.

• Like 1

I am disappointed in the season for sure, but if we did win out (somehow) and make it to the MACC and a bowl, we would have glossed over the shitshow that our coaches showed. Give me 85 hungry athletes with good coaching over top rated recruiting classes with subpar coaching. Hopefully this is a wake up call and we don’t lose our entire roster to the portal. The really scary part is we are a veteran team and next year is a rebuild, almost brand new OL, new QB, new main RB and losing a lot of WR and defensive guys. The future may actually be worse than our current reality if you can believe that.

3 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Hey, at least the band sounds good. Would’ve been nice to hear them during the b-ball game last night too

We have an AD that only cares about football, even when they are they worst of our teams. Volleyball, soccer, tennis, wrestling and basketball are all far superior at this point.

25 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

This olay calling is so disgusting. I’ve seen more creative middle school games. Then it leads to this when the other team puts 11 in the box.

Just zero imagination or creativity. A couple big pass plays tonight but that was really it, one of them was on a blown coverage that if Snyder had led the receiver with his pass might have been an even longer play for a TD.

A valiant effort by the D but once again it goes for naught as the offense couldn’t score points when they had the opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I am disappointed in the season for sure, but if we did win out (somehow) and make it to the MACC and a bowl, we would have glossed over the shitshow that our coaches showed. Give me 85 hungry athletes with good coaching over top rated recruiting classes with subpar coaching. Hopefully this is a wake up call and we don’t lose our entire roster to the portal. The really scary part is we are a veteran team and next year is a rebuild, almost brand new OL, new QB, new main RB and losing a lot of WR and defensive guys. The future may actually be worse than our current reality if you can believe that.

We aren't doing either. It's over.

On 11/6/2023 at 7:01 PM, Bluebird96 said:

Ohio favored by 7 and 64% chance to win according to ESPN.com.  Tall order for the Bulls given how the offense has struggled all season.  Here’s hoping for a long awaited breakout performance vs the Bobcats.

There was hope for a half, but in the end it was certainly no breakout performance. Ohio is just a better team right now.  And the Bulls aren’t very good.  Should finish 4-8 with a little luck if we can manage to beat EMU at home, right back to where we were in year 1 of Mo. If that’s not the definition of regression, I don’t know what is. 

On 11/6/2023 at 7:01 PM, Bluebird96 said:

Ohio favored by 7 and 64% chance to win according to ESPN.com.  Tall order for the Bulls given how the offense has struggled all season.  Here’s hoping for a long awaited breakout performance vs the Bobcats.

There was hope for a half, but in the end it was certainly no breakout performance. Ohio is just a better team right now.  And the Bulls aren’t very good.  Should finish 4-8 with a little luck if we can manage to beat EMU at home, and we’ll be right back to where we were in year 1 of Mo. If that’s not the definition of regression, I don’t know what is. 

Just now, Bluebird96 said:

There was hope for a half, but in the end it was certainly no breakout performance. Ohio is just a better team right now.  And the Bulls aren’t very good.  Should finish 4-8 with a little luck if we can manage to beat EMU at home, right back to where we were in year 1 of Mo. If that’s not the definition of regression, I don’t know what is. 

Don’t forget we supposedly had the #1 recruiting classes the last 2 years. If that’s true, the coaching staff is an abject failure. 

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Don’t forget we supposedly had the #1 recruiting classes the last 2 years. If that’s true, the coaching staff is an abject failure. 

How many years has Miami had a top end class?  Even so, it took them several years to see success on the field like this year. 

Two good recruiting classes still leaves you with a team of underclassmen. 

11 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

How many years has Miami had a top end class?  Even so, it took them several years to see success on the field like this year. 

Two good recruiting classes still leaves you with a team of underclassmen. 

So you’re saying I just need to be patient and then we will be as good as Miami (OH)? Great.

Horrible Buffalo Bulls football season. Below is Maurice Linquist record 2 games short of three seasons at UB. 

2021 4-8 overall MAC 2-6

2022 7-6 overall MAC 5-3

2023 3-7 overall MAC 3-3

Totals 14-21 overall MAC 10-12

Is that the stuff of a great recruiter that UB Bulls football fans were told? I don’t see a lot of difference makers? UB Bulls are extremely slow football team with not a lot of talent that is on the head coach. Because at the end of the day he has the last say who gets recruited and who doesn’t. The offensive coordinator is most likely fired but that isn’t enough. Maurice Linquist is a bad head coaching hire nothing is changing that after 2 out of 3 losing seasons with 1 seasons 1 game over .500. Maurice Linquist program should be further along and UB is going backwards. I personally see no point bringing Maurice Linquist back next season because UB Bulls football needs to be completely rebuilt anyway. There really is nothing to continue the football culture is terrible in this program when it comes to playing 4 good quarters. Veteran 5th year players make freshmen mistakes. It is always something with Maurice Linquist teams. Other than the Camella Bowl win last season the Maurice Linquist era is soul crushing for the UB Bulls fans.

UB Stadium was empty tonight it was like teams were still playing without fans in the Covid-19 no fans era. There is no buzz with UB Bulls football and there should be no more Mo as head coach just for that is fire able. But unfortunately UB athletics is going to be cheap and continue in denial about the bad coaching hire. How many UB football fans are excited about next season the 4th season under Maurice Linquist? I don’t see anything that says next season will be any different? UB has no quarterback one needs to be brought in transfer portal he isn’t on this roster. UB has no speed and UB has few fans left anymore. Maurice Linquist needs to be bought out and a different direction for UB Bulls football needs to start the new direction next season. I don’t see the point of waiting it just isn’t going to happen for Maurice Linquist here good luck to him but he is a assistant coach not a head coach basically Craig Cirbus 2 with a bowl game win.

Buffalo Super Fan you don’t understand UB football doesn’t have the money to buyout Mo and pay for a new head coach? I get that but I have a solution that is cheap. Since UB has no money and is interested in learning on the job young coaches. Hire a UB Bulls graduate. What who? Hire local head coach Williamsville South Billies and former UB Bulls starting quarterback Joe Licata. See if he would take a hometown discount selling him down the road when UB is done paying that bum Maurice Linquist off Joe Licata will get a raise. Also tie Joe Licata raise with a percentage of new UB Bulls fans he can attract to the football program. I also want to try an experiment give Joe Licata total control of the UB Bulls football team and UB athletics by also making him the new UB athletics director. Hope he can grow into UB Bulls version of Woody Hayes where Joe Licata is UB athletics and since he is a Buffalonian hope he is successful and stay’s because of the family ties. UB needs a head coach that will stay 20 years to grow UB football. The UB Bulls football coach needs to be the most important person in the state of New York. Until that happens UB athletics is going nowhere.

I think Joe Licata will at least add some buzz to the football program one of UB’s own over the outsider Maurice Linquist who has no personality. UB Bulls have nothing to lose 3-9 potentially because I don’t see UB Bulls winning anymore games this season now with nothing to play for. Guaranteed that Joe Licata could match that 3-9 record fire Maurice Linquist hire the cheaper option Joe Licata head football coach/athletic director hopefully he can get locals excited about UB Bulls football and UB athletics. Because after Covid-19 era of no fans. UB attendance is way down in both football and basketball that needs to be addressed and fixed it is obvious regardless of what is reported you can see UB Bulls attendance is way down from pre Covid-19 attendance. I get attendance was affected with some teams but UB Bulls and the Buffalo Sabres have major attendance issues where the other teams the attendance has returned to pre Covid-19 levels. Opening night last night in college basketball locally the Bonnies were also home and outdrew the UB Bulls by 1,000 fans in a tiny private school. UB shouldn’t be drawing 2,500 fans on opening night that is terrible. The UB athletics director should be fired for the bad attendance alone never mind the bad coaching hires and the automatic raises regardless of coaching record is absurd hire Joe Licata football coach/athletics director UB Bulls have nothing to lose because UB athletics is rock bottom in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

53 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

No.  I’m saying I wouldn’t grade a staff based on underclassmen.   You do you.  

I’m not grading them on underclassmen. I’m saying they squandered a very veteran team to the point many of our best underclassmen May end up in the portal so we will have nothing but retreads moving forward. It was also touted by the coaching staff that they lost nobody to the portal after the spring game, so they literally had everyone they wanted. Their only major injury loss was was at LB but Andreesen and Murdock filled in very nicely, so that is not really an excuse. But if you think they have gotten the most of out of their roster talent then I will agree to disagree. 

Edited by UBinMD

Mo says after the game the offensive game plan was to throw some different looks and wrinkles at Ohio….

Did anybody catch those different looks and wrinkles???

could it have been running two backs in the backfield?  Because, you know, any Defensive Coordinator may have not seen how football was played from 1930-1990.

or maybe having Ogbanna and Snyder switch out every other play.  Maybe Ohio’s Defensive Coordinator wasn’t paying attention to the game tape for the last 3 or 4 weeks and completely missed Ogbanna coming in and running on every single play because there is absolutely no threat of a pass when he comes in.

Paul Peck even lauded MO’s extreme attention to detail……gee, I wonder how many yards they’ll lose next week on allowing punts and kickoffs go unfielded and allowed to skip around the field….because surely if where all over the details, that won’t happen next week.

Or how about playing scared once they got into scoring position.  Literally two drives in the first half ended up with field goals (1 made, 1 missed, of course) because once into scoring position the play calling went to setting themselves up for a field goal, as opposed to actually trying to score a touchdown.  Surely, that showed them, huh Mo???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, BRJACR75 said:

Mo says after the game the offensive game plan was to throw some different looks and wrinkles at Ohio….

Did anybody catch those different looks and wrinkles???

could it have been running two backs in the backfield?  Because, you know, any Defensive Coordinator may have not seen how football was played from 1930-1990.

or maybe having Ogbanna and Snyder switch out every other play.  Maybe Ohio’s Defensive Coordinator wasn’t paying attention to the game tape for the last 3 or 4 weeks and completely missed Ogbanna coming in and running on every single play because there is absolutely no threat of a pass when he comes in.

Paul Peck even lauded MO’s extreme attention to detail……gee, I wonder how many yards they’ll lose next week on allowing punts and kickoffs go unfielded and allowed to skip around the field….because surely if where all over the details, that won’t happen next week.

Or how about playing scared once they got into scoring position.  Literally two drives in the first half ended up with field goals (1 made, 1 missed, of course) because once into scoring position the play calling went to setting themselves up for a field goal, as opposed to actually trying to score a touchdown.  Surely, that showed them, huh Mo???

I'm as bigger a homer as anyone, but the rose colored glasses have to come out and a deep autopsy needs to be done. This year was a total failure with a veteran team and quality depth. We have 5 QBs and if this is the best we've got, that needs to be Priority #1 in the portal.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I'm as bigger a homer as anyone, but the rose colored glasses have to come out and a deep autopsy needs to be done. This year was a total failure with a veteran team and quality depth. We have 5 QBs and if this is the best we've got, that needs to be Priority #1 in the portal.

What kills me is going into last night, they literally had nothing to lose sitting at 6 loses already, and that’s the best game plan they could come up with.  

They basically played right into Ohio’s hands.  Not once did Ohio have to come off of their own game plan.  All Ohio had to do was just let the game play out because UB wasn’t going to do anything to force the issue.

And the hell of it is, I wouldn’t be shocked if UB goes into Miami next week, and catches them sleeping and wins.  And then finishing with a win against EMU, and then there will be all the chest thumping, saying “how great it was to finish the season at 5-7”

• Thanks 1

I've been a pretty big fan over the years...my dad graduated from UB in 1960, so we've had a lot of UB football discussions.  But this particular version of UB football is extremely tough to watch.  

Not to be totally negative, I think the defense has played better in MAC conference play.  That might have something to do with the MAC being complete crap for the most part (seeing as the D gave up an avg. of 40 pts out of conference)....but hey it's good to see them playing better.

This offense is a complete dumpster fire though...and any decent player in this offense who has eligibility left should be sprinting to the portal.  Snyder has regressed somehow but at least he can complete a pass downfield once in a while.  Ogbonna is just a wildcat ball carrier.  He's patient, maybe that will work for him someday, but can he throw for 100 yards in a game?  I like Ron Cook and some of the RB's, but if you can't throw well, the other team can just stuff the box.

I watch portions of other games during the week on TV and ESPN+, including some lower level FBS games and FCS games.  I like flipping around.  You see these other no-name programs with QB's slinging it around for 300-400 yards a week.   Mo can't go out and find a QB like that?  You don't even need "special" wide receivers at this level if the QB can simply get the ball out and into their hands.  If Mo is here next season he cannot preside over an offense like this, it's terrible.  Get a QB or two in the program that can throw the damn ball.

• Like 2

Not sure if anyone mentioned the end of the 1st half clock debacle?  Do they not have a 2 min script and practiced?   Plays took forever to get in, receivers are going in motion changing sides of the field, meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking down.  No urgency whatsoever!  Got zero points going onto the locker room.  Very painful to watch!  😫

1 hour ago, squad1321 said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned the end of the 1st half clock debacle?  Do they not have a 2 min script and practiced?   Plays took forever to get in, receivers are going in motion changing sides of the field, meanwhile, the clock keeps ticking down.  No urgency whatsoever!  Got zero points going onto the locker room.  Very painful to watch!  😫

Nope….they don’t have a 2 min script.

I was shocked that everyone didn’t walk out of the game when Ohio went up 10.  I certainly did, and I wasn’t the only one either.  Enough was enough.

there wasn’t going to be some miraculous 10 points scored in 1:50. While I’m sure it would have been quite possible……any body who has watched this season it’s pretty apparent they are incapable of a hurry up offense.

Definitely predictable outcome. The UB athletic program is in shambles. I didn’t renew my basketball tickets and this is my last year with football tickets. All- Nuts has reduced this program to a joke. As a taxpayer, the State should withdraw this program from Div 1 and go to DIV 3. Games against Buff State and Oswego would be more appropriate with this bunch. Missouri knew what they were doing when Alnutt didn’t get the job there. Mo is earning $675K for a $1.00 effort. Disgraceful. What FCS team will we lose to next year. 

2 hours ago, Fedup said:

Definitely predictable outcome. The UB athletic program is in shambles. I didn’t renew my basketball tickets and this is my last year with football tickets. All- Nuts has reduced this program to a joke. As a taxpayer, the State should withdraw this program from Div 1 and go to DIV 3. Games against Buff State and Oswego would be more appropriate with this bunch. Missouri knew what they were doing when Alnutt didn’t get the job there. Mo is earning $675K for a $1.00 effort. Disgraceful. What FCS team will we lose to next year. 

You aren't completely wrong, but the take it a little harsh. I'd say basketball and football have certainly been trending down. ADMA has his work cut out for him.