Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2024 Transfer Portal

Ubbullsfan09

From Buff News - UB football transfer portal tracker: A look at who's leaving, who's joining the Bulls (buffalonews.com)

Transferring into program

Dec. 10: Byron Floyd, long snapper: Was Pitt’s starting long snapper in 2022 and 2023. 

Dec. 10: Eddie Whipple, defensive back: Had 48 tackles, two interceptions and six pass breakups in eight games at Highland (Kan.) Community College. 

Dec. 14: Chayce Chadwick, offensive line: Was an honorable mention All-Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference selection for Coffeyville Community College. 

Dec. 17: Matthew Glenn, offensive line: Was a first-team All-Kansas Jayhawk Community College Conference selection at left guard.

Dec. 18: Kobe Stewart, edge rusher: Had 19 tackles, 2.5 sacks and one forced fumble in 17 games in three seasons at Samford.

Devin Grant to Syracuse Orange ACC unfortunately this is what happens when you don’t win and go to Bowl Games at UB. Not going to bowl games has consequences for schools like UB Bulls MAC Group of 5 schools you can do that at a Power 4 conference school basically lose. Devin Grant will do actually that at Syracuse Orange lose a lot and basically never go to fun things like bowl games good riddance.

If you aren’t going to be loyal to the Buffalo Bulls program get out we will find someone else. I am not going to say good luck to a trader going to Syracuse Orange of all places. Too Maurice Linquist and staff get yourself stuff together because this is embarrassing for the program to lose a player to lowly Syracuse Orange football three hours away. There is nothing good about this wake up UB fans that think there is some silver lining there isn’t it hurts UB Bulls football credibility in Buffalo and Western New York in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Got a Decommitment from Eddie Whipple - DB. Just a day before signing day. This process sucks so hard.

The system is gross and broken. Plus I could really do without these disingenuous, grammatical error-riddled posts thanking "great program." Honestly it makes me question what I'm even doing caring about this ****.

https://twitter.com/eddiewhipple5/status/1737186792346939512

Screenshot_20231219_165626_Chrome.jpg

Edited by MuchMany

14 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

The system is gross and broken. Plus I could really do without these disingenuous, grammatical error-riddled posts thanking "great program." Honestly it makes me question what I'm even doing caring about this ****.

https://twitter.com/eddiewhipple5/status/1737186792346939512

Screenshot_20231219_165626_Chrome.jpg

I have often wondered that myself as in why do I care about this stuff? Perhaps I should seek therapy.

Then again, maybe I come here for therapy...

Edited by UBinMD

I apologize if this is behind a paywall (incl with NY Times) but an interesting look at those from the Group of 5 and what happens to them in the Power 5 .

https://theathletic.com/5137049/2023/12/15/college-football-transfer-portal-g5-prospects/

With some notable exceptions, it's been difficult for many former G5 players moving up.

" (G5) transfers played 500-plus snaps for their former teams in 2022. How many were able to match or surpass that number on a Power 5 team this season? Only 13 of them.

This subset of transfer players logged a total of 95,637 snaps for Group of 5 teams during the 2022 season, according to Pro Football Focus data. This year? Their combined total snaps played is 60,345. The average among these 186 players was 190 fewer snaps..."

26 minutes ago, UB77 said:

I apologize if this is behind a paywall (incl with NY Times) but an interesting look at those from the Group of 5 and what happens to them in the Power 5 .

https://theathletic.com/5137049/2023/12/15/college-football-transfer-portal-g5-prospects/

With some notable exceptions, it's been difficult for many former G5 players moving up.

" (G5) transfers played 500-plus snaps for their former teams in 2022. How many were able to match or surpass that number on a Power 5 team this season? Only 13 of them.

This subset of transfer players logged a total of 95,637 snaps for Group of 5 teams during the 2022 season, according to Pro Football Focus data. This year? Their combined total snaps played is 60,345. The average among these 186 players was 190 fewer snaps..."

When all of this transfer portal stuff was happening, one of the reasons (I thought) that this became so popular was the excitement of the recruitment process.  After all, you are 16, 17, or 18 years old and you are (in many cases) getting to decide between offers.  "Pick me...pick me", the teams plead.   You are in your Robert Frost moment -- "Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired"

And then you make your selection (perhaps you have several hats on a table...or team logos on your X feed and pare them down slowly)!

Then...after the season ends, the excitement of doing this all over again trumps any of the other challenges (will your courses transfer, you sort of liked this town, a significant other you have met, do they have your major at this new school)...not to mention potential NIL money.   And then you get promised reps / opportunities ... but it turns out there weren't as many as expected (see the snaps thing above). 

And guess what?   Back in the portal, to do it again the next year!

The biggest disincentive was sitting out the year.  If that doesn't come back, this will continue, I think.  Maybe not at the same rate, but much, much higher than it was 10 year ago.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

Insulting the intelligence of Community College transfers might not be the hottest idea since that seems to be the entirety of UB's potential talent pool

Grammar is a major issue for all recruits.  How many times have you seen a post that a person is thankful for their third offer from East Succotash State?  They only received one offer from that school. The first two offers were from other schools.

15 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

Insulting the intelligence of Community College transfers might not be the hottest idea since that seems to be the entirety of UB's potential talent pool

I didn't insult their intelligence. I compared how much we as fans care to how much players care when they're sending UB a goodbye note that can't even be checked over once for errors.

More importantly, you're not a UB then fan eh? Just kind of trolling around stirring up shit? Kindly confirm so I can block you and your awful takes into the ether.

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Not UB related but I saw on ESPN the Albany FCS QB has transferred to the Miami Hurricanes to compete for the starting job.  The transfer portal is am amazing option for some of these talented FCS guys to jump ahead.

We got 3 commitments today:

Oliver Bridges (Cincinnati) Cornerback - Reshirt Freshman from Potomac, MD. Played in 8 games, 2 solo tackles, 1 assisted tackle = 3 total tackles

Taji Johnson (Boston College) WR - Senior from Powder Springs, GA. Played in 43 games over 4 seasons, 11 receptions, 119 yards (long of 32), 3 kick returns, 29 yards (long of 27), 2 assisted tackles = 2 total tackles

Tristan Souza (Washington St) DT - Redshirt Sophomore from Camas, Washington. PWO as a true freshman, 1 game as a redshirt freshman, no appearances as a Sophomore. No Stats. Was a 2 star out of HS.

4 guys came to site for visits this weekend, 3 commits. That's pretty good.

5 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Taji Johnson (Boston College) WR - Senior from Powder Springs, GA. Played in 43 games over 4 seasons, 11 receptions, 119 yards (long of 32), 3 kick returns, 29 yards (long of 27), 2 assisted tackles = 2 total tackles

Brother of former UB DB Najja Johnson.

• Thanks 1