Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB MBB vs Western Michigan - Sat. 1/6/24 2:00 PM

I’ll take scoring 77 points anytime. However, entering this game the Bulls ranked 52nd in DI for taking 43.5% of their field goal attempts from 3. The only problem with that is they ranked 357th in 3 point conversions at 25%. Sabol isn’t quick enough to create his own shot, and the rest of the team apparently can’t make the shots even when they’re wide open. This isn’t the first year that UB has struggled from outside. It’s been a problem since Oats left. But this year certainly is shaping up as the worst outside shooting team in the past 25 years.

To lose at home to a mediocre WMU team despite only 9 turnovers, better 3-pt shooting (32%) than most games this year, and solid FT shooting (80%) tells me UB needs everything to go right just to have a chance to win games this year, even against teams we should beat like WMU.

Without Adams playing up to last year’s standard, and with absolutely nothing offensively from Graham so far, it’s gonna be tough to win.  I agree with others, Sabol needs to get more shots as he’s the only guy who consistently makes the 3.  Chatman has been as good as advertised.  But the bottom line is, this team just doesn’t seem to have enough talent or size to keep up with even middle to bottom of the pack MAC teams.  It shouldn’t be shocking to anyone on here if the Bulls go 3-15 in conference, as much as we hate to  consider that sharp a decline from last year’s 9-9.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

It shouldn’t be shocking to anyone on here if the Bulls go 3-15 in conference, as much as we hate to  consider that sharp a decline from last year’s 9-9.

I don’t know if there are actually lines on this, but I would think 3-15 would probably be the most likely scenario.  

The guys at the end seemed very gassed. Also, unfortunately, so many easy shots/layups with no help defense, defense isn’t set up, etc. We’re awful in transition defense. Our offense doesn’t feel like there is much planned. Just letting the talent do its thing. It shows. 

• Like 1

This was an even game between two bad teams until Western created a run with around 10 to go, and the Bulls chased it after that.  I'll agree with some other posters that they didn't do well in transition, and gave up some open three's that way.  For UB, they played better defense at times, just not consistently.  They shot better from outside. They shot way better the past two games from the free throw line.  Adams and Chatman had a couple great times where they just backed their way to the net and laid it in, like the defender couldn't do anything about it.  Those things have made them competitive.  They're working hard, they just get beat by (a) some mismatches in size and (b) as we said, in transition and with basketball awareness of what's happening/going to happen around them.

Right now they really miss a guy who can beat people off the dribble and cruise to the net.  I also notice that when one guy drives to the net, the rest of them just stand around and watch.  If they get in trouble, there's no one also moving that they can hit coming in from the other side.  There needs to be more movement on those drives.

Chatman - like I said last game, for a guy who scores that many points (which they need), I have half a dozen times where I'm mad at him for a poor shot or turnover or missed free throw at the worst times for them.  I feel like he helps them and kills them.
Smith - I'm always yelling for him to get big, get tough, and he did today, had some great offensive rebounds.
Sabol - if he keeps improving like this he'll end up transferring like everyone else in today's NCAA.  
Boldin - he's big and athletic and improving too
Fulcher - is so far off.  The last guy who should be fumbling around simply dribbling the ball is a point guard.
Adams - looks like as polished a player as he's going to ever be, hit some shots nicely.
Kanye - is he hurt? Because if you can't get minutes in this lineup, I don't know what you can do anywhere.
Zakir - is he hurt? Because if you can't get minutes in this lineup, I don't know what you can do anywhere.

Western - didn't do anything especially well, other than go on that run mid-second half and then hit some shots at the end to keep their lead. 

As soon as they showed Turner Battle on the screen I was out of my seat to stand and applaud.  That guy should get that every time he's there.  It astounds me there wasn't a "Turner, Battle! clap, clap, clap-clap-clap" cheer right then and there.  He is so much of the genesis of what UB basketball built into.  I can't wait to see him get the honor he's more than deserved there for a long time.  One of my favorite Turner memories: at Niagara's high school gym, game on the line, last possession, he does one of his patented drive, stop and pop, hit the jumper. Game over.  Place went silent except for the Bulls fans.

The team looks more competitive than it did a little while ago - is that progress?  Or is the nether regions of the MAC this season truly THAT dreadful?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

This was an even game between two bad teams until Western created a run with around 10 to go, and the Bulls chased it after that.  I'll agree with some other posters that they didn't do well in transition, and gave up some open three's that way.  For UB, they played better defense at times, just not consistently.  They shot better from outside. They shot way better the past two games from the free throw line.  Adams and Chatman had a couple great times where they just backed their way to the net and laid it in, like the defender couldn't do anything about it.  Those things have made them competitive.  They're working hard, they just get beat by (a) some mismatches in size and (b) as we said, in transition and with basketball awareness of what's happening/going to happen around them.

Right now they really miss a guy who can beat people off the dribble and cruise to the net.  I also notice that when one guy drives to the net, the rest of them just stand around and watch.  If they get in trouble, there's no one also moving that they can hit coming in from the other side.  There needs to be more movement on those drives.

Chatman - like I said last game, for a guy who scores that many points (which they need), I have half a dozen times where I'm mad at him for a poor shot or turnover or missed free throw at the worst times for them.  I feel like he helps them and kills them.
Smith - I'm always yelling for him to get big, get tough, and he did today, had some great offensive rebounds.
Sabol - if he keeps improving like this he'll end up transferring like everyone else in today's NCAA.  
Boldin - he's big and athletic and improving too
Fulcher - is so far off.  The last guy who should be fumbling around simply dribbling the ball is a point guard.
Adams - looks like as polished a player as he's going to ever be, hit some shots nicely.
Kanye - is he hurt? Because if you can't get minutes in this lineup, I don't know what you can do anywhere.
Zakir - is he hurt? Because if you can't get minutes in this lineup, I don't know what you can do anywhere.

Western - didn't do anything especially well, other than go on that run mid-second half and then hit some shots at the end to keep their lead. 

As soon as they showed Turner Battle on the screen I was out of my seat to stand and applaud.  That guy should get that every time he's there.  It astounds me there wasn't a "Turner, Battle! clap, clap, clap-clap-clap" cheer right then and there.  He is so much of the genesis of what UB basketball built into.  I can't wait to see him get the honor he's more than deserved there for a long time.  One of my favorite Turner memories: at Niagara's high school gym, game on the line, last possession, he does one of his patented drive, stop and pop, hit the jumper. Game over.  Place went silent except for the Bulls fans.

The team looks more competitive than it did a little while ago - is that progress?  Or is the nether regions of the MAC this season truly THAT dreadful?

Per pre game show on Tuesday, they said Kanye was taking time to deal with personal issues and the team was supportive.  Was he on the sidelines yesterday?  

Yesterday was disappointing, as they did well in keeping turnovers down ( a season long problem).  However, they faltered defensively, which they had been respectable lately.  WMU shot 42% from three, well above WMU season average of 32% (most games in the 20s%), which would mean two or three fewer made threes, which was the difference between w and l.

• Like 1