Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach In - ???

9 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

How telling is it when pretty much the entire fan base (as small as it seems to be these days anyway) is either happy that Mo is gone or basically in the mindset of "whatever"? It's incredible to me that someone who made $2mil+ here, with incredibly subpar results, is being hailed as a "great hire" by those online and by the fans of Alabama. What has he ever done? Prior to UB's <.400 record (including .333 versus FCS teams) he left the "co-DC" job before even coaching a game. What a racket this guy has made for himself. 

I mean he is a great hire for what they hired to be, a recruiter for defense 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

How telling is it when pretty much the entire fan base (as small as it seems to be these days anyway) is either happy that Mo is gone or basically in the mindset of "whatever"? It's incredible to me that someone who made $2mil+ here, with incredibly subpar results, is being hailed as a "great hire" by those online and by the fans of Alabama. What has he ever done? Prior to UB's <.400 record (including .333 versus FCS teams) he left the "co-DC" job before even coaching a game. What a racket this guy has made for himself. 

Bad head coach or not he did bring in multiple top of the MAC recruiting classes and was considered a solid  coach before taking the job. Definitely doesn’t have the chops to be a head coach, but could be a solid recruiter/ defensive coach 

Edited by Ubbullsfan09

9 minutes ago, Ubbullsfan09 said:

Bad head coach or not he did bring in multiple top of the MAC recruiting classes and was considered a solid  coach before taking the job. Definitely doesn’t have the chops to be a head coach, but could be a solid recruiter/ defensive coach 

Well, he surely did a great job with the recruiting. This year's class is currently ranked last in the MAC. The quality players that we had returning have transferred out. We currently have no real QB right now, with the previous starter transferring to the powerhouse that is EMU and no QB signees in this current class. Sounds like a heck of a job.

Whoever the new head coach is can hit the portal and promise someone a starting QB job. Fun times ahead I'm sure.

55 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

He says things that student athletes want to hear, not necessarily the fans. That's why he's a good recruiter. He speaks in soundbites and hyperbole - stuff you can capture in a Tik Tok. I think he will do well recruiting for Alabama. 

1 hour ago, RapidsFan said:

Tim Lester, former Western Michigan head coach and current analyst for the Green Bay Packers is under consideration:

IMO not sure there could be 3 worse collective candidates. I’ve been a contributor for 20+ years. If this is the vision they have for UB Football no sense in me contributing anymore bc they’ve stopped trying. 

• Like 1

If it's Lester, that vague tweet from earlier in the week about UB announcing a head coach as early as tomorrow morning would make sense

Have to wait until Green Bay is out of the playoffs - tomorrow would be the earliest they could announce him

1 hour ago, DaBulls99 said:

IMO not sure there could be 3 worse collective candidates. I’ve been a contributor for 20+ years. If this is the vision they have for UB Football no sense in me contributing anymore bc they’ve stopped trying. 

People were laughing when I first brought up Brian Polian but I had outside sources telling me to keep his name in mind. I think it was clear from the beginning what type of coaches UB was interested in. The fact that all three of the above candidates have G5 head coaching experience doesn't surprise me. Mo didn't know what he was doing. They're looking for someone that has experience running a D1 program but don't have the budget to hire anyone that has an impressive resume so they're going after retreads.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

don't have the budget to hire anyone that has an impressive resume so they're going after retreads.

Absolutely not.

Tony Annese (D2 Ferris State) makes $150k

Jason Eck (Idaho) makes $300k

Matt Entz (NDSU) made $400k, unknown what he makes at USC as an assistant, a job he took recently

Drew Cronic (Mercer) made an unknown salary, just took the OC job at Navy which does not disclose salaries

Mo made $675k, in the upper half of the MAC.

All of the above are coaches that have HC experience and would get a significant raise in accepting a UB HC job compared to their 2023 salary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rma said:

All of the above are coaches that have HC experience and would get a significant raise in accepting a UB HC job compared to their 2023 salary.

DII or DIII coach won't make donors open their pocketbooks

Meritocracy reigns supreme in wealthy circles - a failure with a good resume is always hired over someone without experience

8 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

DII or DIII coach won't make donors open their pocketbooks

UB Athletics' most prominent donor seemed to have no issue opening up his wallet to a D3 football coach and a former high school math teacher.

11 minutes ago, rma said:

UB Athletics' most prominent donor seemed to have no issue opening up his wallet to a D3 football coach and a former high school math teacher.

His kids run the show now and are already naming buildings after themselves:

UB breaks ground on Brittany Murchie Mulla Sports Performance Center

The Brittany Murchie Mulla Sports Performance Center will be connected to the west end of the Murchie Family Fieldhouse on the North Campus. Mulla is the daughter of UB alumni Tunney and Deanna Murchie.

Brittany Murchie Mulla is an avid athlete and fitness enthusiast and competitor, who has pursued personal and professional interests that promote the value of lifelong health and wellness. Her extensive professional experience in the fitness industry includes certification as a personal trainer focusing on Pilates and rehabilitative exercise.

1688668813848.jpg

5 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

His kids run the show now and are already naming buildings after themselves:

UB breaks ground on Brittany Murchie Mulla Sports Performance Center

The Brittany Murchie Mulla Sports Performance Center will be connected to the west end of the Murchie Family Fieldhouse on the North Campus. Mulla is the daughter of UB alumni Tunney and Deanna Murchie.

Brittany Murchie Mulla is an avid athlete and fitness enthusiast and competitor, who has pursued personal and professional interests that promote the value of lifelong health and wellness. Her extensive professional experience in the fitness industry includes certification as a personal trainer focusing on Pilates and rehabilitative exercise.

1688668813848.jpg

Tunney named it after his daughter, dummy. And if you can’t recognize the impact he’s made on UB Athletics, I can’t help you. 

Edited by DaBulls99
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

btw - congrats to Tunney Murchie for his UB Athletics Hall of Fame induction!

HOF_web.jpg?width=1884&quality=80&format

Let's take a look at those Hall of Fame stats!

NUqYmFF.png

Without him UB athletics would still be at the bottom on the MAC with regard to their infrastructure.  It's pretty sad that someone could have anything negative to say regarding his positive impact on UB. There's no one more worthy of a spot in the HoF than him.

• Like 5

I just realized that while Tunney was playing for the Brantford Majors, there was another up and coming kid playing for the Brantford Steelers (Minor Hockey)....some 10 year old guy by the name of Gretzky.

A lot of good came out of (1971) Brantford.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RapidsFan said:

btw - congrats to Tunney Murchie for his UB Athletics Hall of Fame induction!

HOF_web.jpg?width=1884&quality=80&format

Let's take a look at those Hall of Fame stats!

NUqYmFF.png

Bill Greiner was inducted into the UB Athletics HoF and didn’t even play in a single hockey game for UB! What a sham! 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, rma said:

Absolutely not.

Tony Annese (D2 Ferris State) makes $150k

Jason Eck (Idaho) makes $300k

Matt Entz (NDSU) made $400k, unknown what he makes at USC as an assistant, a job he took recently

Drew Cronic (Mercer) made an unknown salary, just took the OC job at Navy which does not disclose salaries

Mo made $675k, in the upper half of the MAC.

They were targeting coaches with prior D1 head coaching experience. That's why I said they didn't have the budget to get anyone with a more impressive resume.

Sources said UB was a mess under Mo. Alnutt wanted someone who has run a D1 program.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
  • Jeseph locked this topic