Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach In: Pete Lembo

Bill

On 1/29/2024 at 6:49 PM, UB Horns Up said:

I am glad Pete Lembo maintained a lot the UB coaching staff because it’s really too late for them to land other coaching jobs for next season. I want the Maurice Linquist supporters that think that behavior is ok for him to only think about himself over a lousy $400,000 dollars? There is a lot more important things than money. You don’t do that to your people that go to work to help you become successful in sports your a team. There is a right and wrong way to conduct sports business. I don’t believe Maurice Linquist will ever be a FBS head coach again after what he pulled at UB. No way would I personally hire a coach like that. I like that Pete Lembo is connecting with the high school coaches of Section 5 and Section 6 that was lacking with Maurice Linquist in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Who was let go? 

3 hours ago, verandaman said:

Can't a "nepo hire" be qualified?   

No, don't you see in order to make great hires you need to find a group of coaches that you've never worked with before. It worked out great with our last regime! Mo found a bunch of coordinators that stuck around just long enough to get the long term AirBNB discount.

Leipold stuck by his guys for better or worse and it worked out for him a hell of a lot better. It's not the only way to do business, but just because Lembo worked with somebody a decade ago doesn't make them unqualified.

The guy hasn't even coached a game for us (well those of us here that are fans) and already its started.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

DC, OC, RB and DL left on their own. Safeties and S&C either got let go or found something else. Mo hired OC and RB then bounced, but they were retained by Lembo. 

Sounds like the new OC and Lembo have a pretty long history, not sure if they were on staff together or just a coaching circle thing. Lembo said from the 90s. The new RB Coach is extremely active on X and is really talking up Buffalo, so if nothing else, I appreciate his enthusiasm. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2024/01/31/college-football-coaching-hires-grades/72411189007/

6. Pete Lembo, Buffalo

Lembo has won at every one of his stops across multiple levels of competition. Most importantly, he went 33-29 in five seasons at Ball State, another MAC program with limited resources that demands careful talent evaluation and player development to make ends meet. Since leaving the Cardinals after the 2015 season, Lembo has worked as an assistant at Maryland, Rice, Memphis and South Carolina. He's one of the top Group of Five hires of the cycle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rma said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2024/01/31/college-football-coaching-hires-grades/72411189007/

6. Pete Lembo, Buffalo

Lembo has won at every one of his stops across multiple levels of competition. Most importantly, he went 33-29 in five seasons at Ball State, another MAC program with limited resources that demands careful talent evaluation and player development to make ends meet. Since leaving the Cardinals after the 2015 season, Lembo has worked as an assistant at Maryland, Rice, Memphis and South Carolina. He's one of the top Group of Five hires of the cycle.

I can live with #6 out of 25 with the openings this cycle.

30 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I can live with #6 out of 25 with the openings this cycle.

My thoughts exactly.  Looking for any kind of positive, it’s at least reassuring to read that somebody out there looking at the big picture thinks that UB made a pretty good hire.  Only time will tell if he’s right (or if we’re naive fools for believing it 😂)

Edited by Bluebird96

10 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

There he goes again with another nepo hire 😂

Yep, I don’t know what he’s thinking. You should always hire someone you have never met and have no knowledge of. The best way to build a high functioning team. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Yeah, this sounds way, way better than the Mo-xperience already.

Really like what I see and hear from this guy. Seems really happy to be here in Buffalo specifically, not just another stepping stone job.

I mean, seriously, could he be worse than the last guy? We won so huge when he left on his own. We got paid for dumping an anchor. I think he will be a solid football coach. He may not be flashy and bring in a ton of style, but will teach the game and coach the players he has. I can certainly live with that.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 8:25 PM, RapidsFan said:

Seeing I just had to deal with one of your top donors who not-so-secretly is also funding the effort to prevent the NFTA Metro Rail expansion, I think your school needs to decide if it wants to move forward, or let the donors keep holding everything back

It doesn’t matter what one UB donor and his or her money wants. That NFTA Metro Rail expansion is happening. I Joe Namath guarantee it take it to the bank. The politicians and developers of the Boulevard Mall site in Amherst want it. Plus most sane people realize that if your house is on a Metro Rail line it will be worth more money. Because the property will bring more bidders because you don’t necessarily need a car to work downtown. Cars are getting more and more expensive. Plus not all young people want to own a car today. You also have Buffalo Waterfront development that wants this for easier access where you don’t have to drive and park downtown in expensive parking spots. Trust me some 65 year old plus UB rich person isn’t stopping Metro Rail expansion times have changed from the 1980’s. I am old Buffalo guy and I am telling people it’s a done deal no UB donor is stopping anything. Western New York is sick of this area sucking economically. I am just one of many that are tired of nimby’s today like the UB donor. If they don’t want a Metro Rail move somewhere else they have plenty of money to live wherever they want that is far away from Metro Rail in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

I am just one of many that are tired of nimby’s today like the UB donor.

Whoever you’re responding to is gaslighting you. The “Stop the Metro” founder is somebody who lives in the university heights area, has no affiliation with UB, and went to university in Ohio. The town of Tonawanda supervisor that’s also in vocal opposition to it? Canisius grad who appears on the Canisius “Power 250”

9 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Really like what I see and hear from this guy. Seems really happy to be here in Buffalo specifically, not just another stepping stone job.

I think it’s entirely possible this is a stepping stone job for him but right now I’d welcome it. Lance brought us a ton of success on the field and I’ll take that over losing to FCS teams. 

7 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

It doesn’t matter what one UB donor and his or her money wants. That NFTA Metro Rail expansion is happening. I Joe Namath guarantee it take it to the bank. The politicians and developers of the Boulevard Mall site in Amherst want it. Plus most sane people realize that if your house is on a Metro Rail line it will be worth more money. Because the property will bring more bidders because you don’t necessarily need a car to work downtown. Cars are getting more and more expensive. Plus not all young people want to own a car today. You also have Buffalo Waterfront development that wants this for easier access where you don’t have to drive and park downtown in expensive parking spots. Trust me some 65 year old plus UB rich person isn’t stopping Metro Rail expansion times have changed from the 1980’s. I am old Buffalo guy and I am telling people it’s a done deal no UB donor is stopping anything. Western New York is sick of this area sucking economically. I am just one of many that are tired of nimby’s today like the UB donor. If they don’t want a Metro Rail move somewhere else they have plenty of money to live wherever they want that is far away from Metro Rail in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Lol. Yes the rail line worked so well in the city when they closed down Main Street. Lol

9 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I mean, seriously, could he be worse than the last guy? We won so huge when he left on his own. We got paid for dumping an anchor. I think he will be a solid football coach. He may not be flashy and bring in a ton of style, but will teach the game and coach the players he has. I can certainly live with that.

No, as Mo and the staff he assembled didn't fit the MAC profile for success or have any experience (other than recruiting).  Watch in the future the shift in hires in the MAC, as you need coaches more aligned to D1 FCS and D2 career objectives.  The P2 (Big Ten and SEC) career oriented young coaches won't be chasing MAC school roles, as they need to chase $$ and relationships, not experiences. 

Edited by Sportsfan

1 hour ago, Sportsfan said:

No, as Mo and the staff he assembled didn't fit the MAC profile for success or have any experience (other than recruiting).  Watch in the future the shift in hires in the MAC, as you need coaches more aligned to D1 FCS and D2 career objectives.  The P2 (Big Ten and SEC) career oriented young coaches won't be chasing MAC school roles, as they need to chase $$ and relationships, not experiences. 

You are likely very correct on this. NFL hires 30 year old HCs experience is no longer a requirement, you just need to be a disrupter 🤣

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

I always thought it was the residents of Amherst that didn't want it