Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Next Coach In: Pete Lembo

Bill

Peter Lembo (born April 16, 1970) is an American football coach and former player. He is currently the associate head coach and special teams coordinator at the University of South Carolina. In 2022, Lembo oversaw the highest rated special teams unit in college football with the Gamecocks. Prior to that, he was the assistant head coach and special teams coordinator at the University of Memphis, a position he assumed in January 2019. Prior to Memphis, he was the associate head coach and special teams coordinator at Rice University. Before joining the coaching staff at Rice University, he was the head coach at Lehigh University from 2001 to 2005, at Elon Universityfrom 2006 to 2010, and at Ball State Universityfrom 2011 to 2015. He was also the assistant head coach and special teams coordinator at the University of Maryland for two seasons. Lembo enjoyed success in each of his three stops as a head coach and accumulated a 112–65 career record over a 15-year period. His 79–36 record in ten seasons at the FCS level makes him one of the winningest coaches in the history of that classification.

Also 2 Patriot League Championships.

you want a winner at a lower division? He was really good at FCS. Could end up as a pretty good hire. He has spent time at an SEC school and BIG10 school recently and #1 special teams unit in the country. If he’s the guy, I’m ready to rally behind him.

• Like 4

• Jeseph pinned this topic
5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I hope he wins more games than he loses

He had a .600 winning pct at Ball State, making him #2 of all Cardinals coaches. Right now I'd be fine with 6-7 wins. I don't think we're ever going to sniff the Top 25 ever again without an NIL program.

• Thanks 1

Just looking at the USC (east) reaction to this it would be a home run hire. Seems like he’s really liked there. But then you look at his decline at Ball State and it doesn’t look as good. I look forward to hopefully keeping quality coordinators for more then one (1) year.

Checks some of the boxes I was looking for. I’m trying to be positive.  The last guy was a clown show.  At least Lembo has been there and done it before.  Seems like a safe choice, but that’s kind of what UB needs at this time.  Get the program back on track.

• Like 7

I'm a fan of the hire. I covered Ball State a little bit when I was a sports anchor in Fort Wayne. My BSU connections were all positive about Lembo at that time and thought he was a solid head coach.

Buffalo is looking for someone to stabilize their program and be here for the long haul. Lembo knows how to run a D1 football team and has won at the MAC level with lesser resources than he'll have going forward. I think we're going to need to be patient but I'm confident Lembo has what it takes to win at UB.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I as usual go against the popular narrative of this UB board. This was a very good hire for Buffalo Bulls football and for Western New York. Why it’s a good hire he is older 53 years old. Old like a Frank Solich so maybe he will stay longer than a cup of coffee at UB. Two enough will the young coaches UB. Western New York football fan is too smart of a football market to put up with learning on the job head coaches the lights are too bright here. Maurice Linquist was a disaster and George Halcovage gaging by the crowds going to UB Bulls basketball games now Western New York has spoken loud and clear George Halcovage sucks just like Maurice Linquist.

Young coordinators don’t work in this sophisticated of a Western New York football market. My 81 year old mother knows more about football than Maurice Linquist that is a problem when it comes to UB athletics bluffing that Maurice Linquist is on the right path when the actual games was telling us he is incompetent and sucks. Western New York has every little old lady like my mother that has been watching football for 40 to 50 years. Our television ratings for UB Bulls football could be off the charts if UB figures out a way to have UB football dominate the MAC like a Ohio Bobcats that bowl yearly and a North Dakota State football in winning championships in FCS. UB alums on this board don’t understand there is zero tolerance for incompetence in Western New York.

You have one chance in Western New York first impressions are everything and that is where both Maurice Linquist and George Halcovage failed. This UB board has the patience of Jobe but Western New York sports fan especially football fans don’t have that much patience. Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott has won 4 AFC East Division titles in a row and his future employment with the Buffalo Bills is on this Kansas City Chiefs game tonight. Buffalo fans have zero patience or tolerance for failure and it’s actually getting worse over the years the longer Buffalo sports teams fail to win an undisputed major championship for Western New York in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

In the end, there's nowhere to go but up from where Mo took this program. As long as he doesn't do to the football team what is currently happening with men's basketball, it is a big time win. There's a lot of work to do with this roster, starting at the QB spot, so hopefully he can bring one (or more) quality guys in immediately! There is no reason why UB can't be at or near the top of the MAC year in and year out, so if we aim for that, hopefully we can at least get to the point of being competent again. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I covered Ball State a little bit when I was a sports anchor in Fort Wayne.

Lembo calls Fort Wayne a cultural "hub" to the likes of Vienna or Istanbul compared to Muncie. He's a big fan of the oyster bar there.

• Like 1

The bar is set incredibly low for MAC schools, with a schedule that only demands a 3-1 non-conference record and 3-5 MAC wins. Mo's 10-14 record in the conference. But you have to beat the FCS school.

UB should be 6-8 wins every year. All the MAC schools are running into the same issues as us. We play #127 and #131 next year. I hope we can win both.