Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB WBB Mid Conference observation

Officially one game past the half way point in conference play sitting 6-4  in fourth place.  Of the four conference losses Ball St., UT, Kent St. and WMU the only "bad" loss was to WMU. The losses to UT and Ball St. games was a combined 9pts which happened to the difference to the Kent St. game.  I think BG was our best conference win. The team defense has steadily improved along with the rebounding. Of particular note is the halftime adjustments Burke and staff are making. Burke and staff from my perspective been engaged communicating, coaching and at times admonishing with some hard language. I am not against the language used if it gets the message across which it seems to work. Early fouls have been an issue of late which can be accounted for the increased on ball aggressiveness I'm sure Burke can live with that. The FT shooting has improved especially from the freshmen Davis and Lewis-Williams as a team now making 70% leading MAC in attempts.  

Its abundantly clear that Watson is the best player in the conference hands down avg 25pts a game. If she keeps this up and the wins continue should be a real conversation about POY. Noticed since the 47pt game teams have played a poor mans box and 1 and flash trap her in half court to get the ball out her hands.  To her and Burkes credit they have used her more as facilitator and decoy spacing the floor allowing other players favorable match ups and open shots on ball reversals. With all that being said Watson is so dynamic she still gets her shots up I would bet the over on a triple double before the year is out.

Of the 8 games left I'm most looking forward to the BG, Kent St. and Ball St. rematches the most. At this point in the season I don't think there will be another "bad" loss. The players  seem to have found their place in the offensive flow. The way the team is playing its about time to make plans for a March trip to Cleveland.

4 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

Officially one game past the half way point in conference play sitting 6-4  in fourth place.  Of the four conference losses Ball St., UT, Kent St. and WMU the only "bad" loss was to WMU. The losses to UT and Ball St. games was a combined 9pts which happened to the difference to the Kent St. game.  I think BG was our best conference win. The team defense has steadily improved along with the rebounding. Of particular note is the halftime adjustments Burke and staff are making. Burke and staff from my perspective been engaged communicating, coaching and at times admonishing with some hard language. I am not against the language used if it gets the message across which it seems to work. Early fouls have been an issue of late which can be accounted for the increased on ball aggressiveness I'm sure Burke can live with that. The FT shooting has improved especially from the freshmen Davis and Lewis-Williams as a team now making 70% leading MAC in attempts.  

Its abundantly clear that Watson is the best player in the conference hands down avg 25pts a game. If she keeps this up and the wins continue should be a real conversation about POY. Noticed since the 47pt game teams have played a poor mans box and 1 and flash trap her in half court to get the ball out her hands.  To her and Burkes credit they have used her more as facilitator and decoy spacing the floor allowing other players favorable match ups and open shots on ball reversals. With all that being said Watson is so dynamic she still gets her shots up I would bet the over on a triple double before the year is out.

Of the 8 games left I'm most looking forward to the BG, Kent St. and Ball St. rematches the most. At this point in the season I don't think there will be another "bad" loss. The players  seem to have found their place in the offensive flow. The way the team is playing its about time to make plans for a March trip to Cleveland.

I would like to add in a bit about the overall growth of the program. Remember last year, the team was in utter turmoil, staff was quitting, players were lost, nothing was going right with a record to match. They then put it together and scraped their way into Cleveland and nearly (should have) took care of Toledo. Now in Burke’s second year, first full year having a complete offseason, we’re looking at a team that’s shown they can fight and win games. They struggle at times yes, but it’s the second year of a new era with completely new players. And within 2 years we’re once again talking about not only going to Cleveland, but winning games there. So there is a ton of positives to take here, and we can applaud what BB has done so far. If she keeps it up within the coming years the team may earn some rings. However it’s worth noting some areas that need attention. Will the team be stable when Watson leaves (this of course begs the question of if it’s really BB building the wins)? Can the staff and players consistently stay year in year out with BBs intensity? And lastly if Burke brings this program back to life, will she stay when a bigger school knocks? Just some things to think about while we’re getting excited

1 hour ago, Blue03 said:

However it’s worth noting some areas that need attention. Will the team be stable when Watson leaves (this of course begs the question of if it’s really BB building the wins)? Can the staff and players consistently stay year in year out with BBs intensity? And lastly if Burke brings this program back to life, will she stay when a bigger school knocks? Just some things to think about while we’re getting excited

Valid points, in this new area of portal access every year is potentially a rebuilding year.  So if no one transfers the roster only loses the two grad students.  Watson and Rana although both seniors both have an additional year of eligibility. As far as the intensity goes every coach building a competitive program is wired tight on the court. Off the court is where that counts and for Watson to follow her from USC Upstate to UB says something. The 24 class looks nice although I think the team needs another athletic 6'2+ post. As for when success comes its up to the AD and university to have built a strong relationship with the women's program to anchor her to UB. Having to fundraise 5k for massage therapy is not a good look why not give that women's program?  Why can't we buy player jerseys? Alnutt should be doing these things now versus if/when another school comes trying to do something. Good problems to have!  

Edited by NC_UBfan

7 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

I’m excited about some of the young players BB has brought in and next year looks quality as well. No chance she sticks around when a bigger name and paycheck comes calling. Hope she earns it. Would Jacey step in?

I think Jacey would be an excellent next coach. She’s from the area and has experience. I think she would be the logical next Bull up when the time comes.

7 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

Valid points, in this new area of portal access every year is potentially a rebuilding year.  So if no one transfers the roster only loses the two grad students.  Watson and Rana although both seniors both have an additional year of eligibility. As far as the intensity goes every coach building a competitive program is wired tight on the court. Off the court is where that counts and for Watson to follow her from USC Upstate to UB says something. The 24 class looks nice although I think the team needs another athletic 6'2+ post. As for when success comes its up to the AD and university to have built a strong relationship with the women's program to anchor her to UB. Having to fundraise 5k for massage therapy is not a good look why not give that women's program?  Why can't we buy player jerseys? Alnutt should be doing these things now versus if/when another school comes trying to do something. Good problems to have!  

Fair enough. But the teams do annual fundraising pushes so they pick something to rally around. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t afford it, but they need to pick something. 

12 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Fair enough. But the teams do annual fundraising pushes so they pick something to rally around. Doesn’t mean they couldn’t afford it, but they need to pick something. 

Plus that is something people can get behind and understand it's need. Then they can use the $5k they have for it on some other improvements, better meals/hotels during travel, etc. I am good with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

Having to fundraise 5k for massage therapy is not a good look why not give that women's program?  Why can't we buy player jerseys?

When FLJ was here they fundraised for winter boots or something along those lines. Don't know the reasoning behind it but it seems to get some extra money coming in.

Completely agree on the second part. I've seen family members with bootlegged jerseys, and UB WBB posted a picture of KLW signing a kid's jersey after the game (which may have been deleted?). It's a complete no-brainer and even if it involves a pre-order so that there isn't inventory risk I am sure there would be interest. They're all quite a few years graduated and I'd love a #5, #33, and #24 UB jersey. I don't think I'm the only one.

Screenshot2024-02-07at8_18_10AM.thumb.png.f17106a7ee2262ba8aa06d14382463e2.png

Hmmm.....

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

To be honest, if I ever have to choose what to invest in as far as season tickets go I’d probably only choose women’s basketball. Football funnels all of the school’s money into nothing, and MBB shows minimal promise and they always seem depressed. WBB, even when they struggled severely last year, always showed energy and spirit. I can get behind that culture. 

2 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

I also love the little nudge towards recruits. Probably in talks with players that have 5-10 offers, gives them a little incentive to choose Buffalo. Gotta hand it Burke for how she handles herself

32 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

I also love the little nudge towards recruits. Probably in talks with players that have 5-10 offers, gives them a little incentive to choose Buffalo. Gotta hand it Burke for how she handles herself

Gotta be a saleswoman along with everything else in these times of college athletics.

Next few MAC games are huge in the battle to get to Cleveland. Akron, NIU, and Ohio are all at least 2 wins behind us in the standings, giving us a chance to raise ourselves up (and sink NIU, the current 6 seed) to a comfortable spot. The women will then close the season with 2 uncomfortable road games at BG and Kent, a nice home game against CMU, and a final showdown in Alumni against Ball State. Hopefully by that game we can have locked up our place. Haven’t looked at other team’s schedules to predict their losses, but if we can take care of the next 3, plus at least CMU, we should be in a pretty good place. 

6 hours ago, UBinMD said:

It makes a difference! 

I believe Miami of Ohio is the longest trip by far. Wonder where the funds came from to fly. At any rate a good sign when Coach Burke can use that as a recruiting tool. Go Bulls!!!!

53 minutes ago, John said:

I believe Miami of Ohio is the longest trip by far. Wonder where the funds came from to fly. At any rate a good sign when Coach Burke can use that as a recruiting tool. Go Bulls!!!!

They have flown to most of their games. They show them getting on and off plans on social media regularly 

1 hour ago, John said:

Just based off social media posts they flew private to NIU, Ohio, Miami, CMU and commercial to Stony Brook and Drexel. The others I couldn’t find or they didn’t post. Nice to see the financial support the team receives allows them to do stuff like that. Akron and Kent are probably bus trips.

5 hours ago, rma said:

Just based off social media posts they flew private to NIU, Ohio, Miami, CMU and commercial to Stony Brook and Drexel. The others I couldn’t find or they didn’t post. Nice to see the financial support the team receives allows them to do stuff like that. Akron and Kent are probably bus trips.

Not on the social media posts but is a nice perk for them to be able to fly to games. Hope donors want to continue support this team. Go Bulls!!!

10 hours ago, John said:

Northern is the longest and Ball State is the second longest trip.

9 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Northern is the longest and Ball State is the second longest trip.

Thanks for the information. I wonder if transportation by air was used by the UB teams under Coach Jack when thy had their great teams. Great to have the financial support from donors, alumni and the fans. 

1 hour ago, John said:

Thanks for the information. I wonder if transportation by air was used by the UB teams under Coach Jack when thy had their great teams. Great to have the financial support from donors, alumni and the fans. 

They flew for certain games with Coach Jack.

On 2/8/2024 at 6:09 AM, DaBulls99 said:

On 2/8/2024 at 7:19 AM, UBinMD said:

It makes a difference! 

On 2/8/2024 at 8:42 AM, Blue03 said:

To be honest, if I ever have to choose what to invest in as far as season tickets go I’d probably only choose women’s basketball. Football funnels all of the school’s money into nothing, and MBB shows minimal promise and they always seem depressed. WBB, even when they struggled severely last year, always showed energy and spirit. I can get behind that culture. 

I've often wondered if UB were to go all-in on any sport it should be women's basketball. It takes less money to become a major program. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I've often wondered if UB were to go all-in on any sport it should be women's basketball. It takes less money to become a major program. 

From the moment UB joined D1, WBB was certainly more competitive out of the gate than MBB with 20+ wins in 5 of the first 6 seasons and 10 straight .500+ seasons before going 9-19 in 2001-02.

Just based on that, it does seem like there’s an “easier” path to success on the women’s side.  Obviously it helps to have the right type of HC to deliver that success.

• Like 2