Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#14 UB @ Unranked Syracuse - (12/18 - 8:00pm ET)

Jeseph

On 12/17/2018 at 12:41 PM, Jeseph said:

With a win this could prove to be one of the biggest games in school history.

I'm not going to lie, I want this one more than I've wanted anything in sports in a long time (now that the Bills ended the streak).

GO BULLS

I have wanted this for years!  I live in the Syracuse area.  Gonna wear my UB gear proudly!!

• Like 1

I just missed the SVP bit, I came home and wanted to watch all of Sportscenter to see the national love.

Its still surreal though, I was listening to ESPN radio on the way home. During their SC update every so often, they only have a small amount of time to get all of the news of the sports day in. They spent a chunk of time talking about the game and even pointed out how many CJ scored. Then they even did a radio snippet of the CJ 3 that gave us the 10 point lead late in the game. 

Awesome stuff

EDIT just caught the 2am SC with Stan and Neal. They did a very nice all around highlight as well... just soaking this all in, never know how long itll last.

2 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Hey, we travelled WELL for this one. Listen to the crowd in this one http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=25569529

The little whimper that dumb orange does during the Jordan 3 is perfect.  Might need to gif that

Might have just been where I was sitting (ok I admit, I used an expired UB ID to get $10 tickets) but it did not feel like we had that much of the crowd.  We had a decent crowd, but that sounded like a home game.  Also huge shout out to True Blue keeping it loud the entire game.

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

Fun reading. Check out Syracuse fan board game thread. https://syracusefan.com/threads/buffalo-game-thread.138179/page-26

A lot of wailing and knashing of teeth. 

This was actually fun to read. Honestly pages like 8-15 alot of SYR fans giving us respect. It was actually better than the Bona board.

A lot of people in that thread commenting how the UB fans have been louder.

One of my favorite quotes from a poster on their board "Massinburg is a better college player than anybody on our team"

• Like 1

Quite possibly one of the better team rebounding performances I've ever seen, considering the team we faced and inside the carrier dome. Out-rebounding Cuse 48-35, 18 offensive rebounds. Just insane. It doesn't matter if Cuse is struggling or not, that place is hard to play and we outplayed them extremely in the second half. CJ Buckets proving to the world yet again that he shows up in big games.

I couldn't be anymore proud of this team, and what they are accomplishing thus far. 

ONTO MARQUETTE! #HornsUp

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
15 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

image.png.b8336510ffd6d7ab6a5d4a1a92c9cb12.png

The handsome team ruffling feathers.

They say that one man's trash is another man's treasure. 

Don't know if anyone e posted this link, but it's a nice article about coach Oats: https://www.nunesmagician.com/2018/12/18/18145531/bullish-on-ub-nate-oats-sustained-buffalo-basketball-success-bobby-hurley-syracuse-basketball

11 hours ago, UB85 said:

Fun reading. Check out Syracuse fan board game thread. https://syracusefan.com/threads/buffalo-game-thread.138179/page-26

A lot of wailing and knashing of teeth. 

I read this.  It is a fairly typical fan base of blue bloods, with some reasonable people sprinkled in for garnish.   However, the fan base knows something is off (with their coach, their offensive, losing to SBU and UB, having so many UB fans at the game, etc.), so that's different than a typical blue blood.

Most of the their fan base (which is very, very typical) think of UB as some sort of upstart on a good run.  Heck....you see that in the comments section of the articles of UB/Syracuse from the Syracuse newspaper.  What almost all of their fan base (and many casual fans) don't understand is that UB is not some team that is on a good roll...they are an experienced, senior-heavy, defensive-committed team that is just very good (not very good for the MAC, but very good overall).

Some B1G fans on some other place want to swap out Rutgers for Buffalo...   😉

9 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

Is anyone else surprised/disappointed in Williams? He looks mostly lost and last night (for the minute or so he played) super unathletic. I know he's a freshman but I thought he might contribute a little more even this year.

Not remotely surprised. He has a very high ceiling and has potential. For many players, it just takes time to adjust. Don't be shocked if him and Segu come alive during conference play and provide a huge spark off the bench. Same goes for Jeremy Harris. Last year, Harris struggled on offense outside of conference play, and once conference play began, he found his stride and was lights out, which carried over into the tournament. Don't be surprised with Harris coming alive during conference play again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

I read this.  It is a fairly typical fan base of blue bloods, with some reasonable people sprinkled in for garnish.   However, the fan base knows something is off (with their coach, their offensive, losing to SBU and UB, having so many UB fans at the game, etc.), so that's different than a typical blue blood.

Most of the their fan base (which is very, very typical) think of UB as some sort of upstart on a good run.  Heck....you see that in the comments section of the articles of UB/Syracuse from the Syracuse newspaper.  What almost all of their fan base (and many casual fans) don't understand is that UB is not some team that is on a good roll...they are an experienced, senior-heavy, defensive-committed team that is just very good (not very good for the MAC, but very good overall).

Some B1G fans on some other place want to swap out Rutgers for Buffalo...   😉

Oh that would be sweet. We really do belong (profile-wise anyway) in the B1G10.

3 hours ago, pottier25 said:

Is anyone else surprised/disappointed in Williams? He looks mostly lost and last night (for the minute or so he played) super unathletic. I know he's a freshman but I thought he might contribute a little more even this year.

He had one touch i remember, where he did a good job trying to drive through the zone, I thought he was fouled but the ref called a travel. I think he maybe responded too negatively for Oats liking and he got the bench.... I felt Segu was too jazzed up. I think the team was overall a little over-excited, but Oats did the right thing, let his seniors play and settle into the game.

40 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

He had one touch i remember, where he did a good job trying to drive through the zone, I thought he was fouled but the ref called a travel. I think he maybe responded too negatively for Oats liking and he got the bench.... I felt Segu was too jazzed up. I think the team was overall a little over-excited, but Oats did the right thing, let his seniors play and settle into the game.

I watched the replay when I got home from the bar. Pretty sure Williams was benched after that travel you mentioned. Segu was definitely excited over excited, rushed through an open 3 and had a travel or two. They'll come into their own. Someone pointed out that both were shooting in Alumni at 2:30am after they got back. 

6 minutes ago, BrazenBull said:

I watched the replay when I got home from the bar. Pretty sure Williams was benched after that travel you mentioned. Segu was definitely excited over excited, rushed through an open 3 and had a travel or two. They'll come into their own. Someone pointed out that both were shooting in Alumni at 2:30am after they got back. 

One thing Oats has praised them both on is I guess they are both huge gym rats and are always in the gym. Williams and Segu are both so raw but have a ton of athletic ability that the sky is the limit for them. I have a feeling over time, they could be real special players. 

10 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

One thing Oats has praised them both on is I guess they are both huge gym rats and are always in the gym. Williams and Segu are both so raw but have a ton of athletic ability that the sky is the limit for them. I have a feeling over time, they could be real special players. 

They actually give me hope of running through the MAC, because all of our loses (I believe) came after a huge halftime lead, and our seniors losing interest, until it was too late to get the engine started again.

This year, up 20, we can put in reserves and run the offense through Williams and Segu, let them develop and more importantly not see a drop off in effort level...and hopefully no dropped leads.

• Thanks 1