Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bona AD Resigns After Preemptively Turning Down NIT

Joe Manhertz has resigned as the St. Bonaventure athletic director after botching the handling of the Bonnies preemptively turning down a potential NIT bid. He never told their players until they found out watching ESPN. Manhertz later told students he didn't realize their fanbase cared so much about the NIT. Donors were pissed and people demanded he be fired. He was gone within a week.

Goes to show the difference between UB and Bona. Their AD was essentially forced to resign two years into his tenure because of extreme disgust over a potential NIT bid while Buffalo fans have been calling for Mark Alnutt's job for a few years now and it's not even a realistic possibility.

I'm not calling for anyone's job but it's just another example of how the money determines everything. Bona's donors got upset and Manhertz leaves within a week. Buffalo's donors and administration are apathetic regarding UB athletics and things remain with the status quo as a result.

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

6 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

while Buffalo fans have been calling for Mark Alnutt's job for a few years now and it's not even a realistic possibility.

The big question is are UB donors putting up money for Alnutt to be bought out? It doesn't matter how much we complain on twitter or this board, if the money isn't being put up he isn't getting fired/"resigning". Given Tripathi's age is it really worth buying out an AD when the president is likely to retire at any time? Alnutt has 2 years left on his contract. If it was going to be extended it would have been by now. There's a new football coach, a decent WBB coach, and possibly the worst D1 MBB coach we've ever had though he's only a year in. Short of Burke taking a new job this year (unlikely) or next year (possibly), Alnutt shouldn't have to make a major hire again.

Obviously Bona's exclusively MBB donors care about the NIT enough to pony up money to buy him out. It's really unfortunate for Manhertz, apparently the Olean faithful did not tell him enough stories about the NIT Championship and/or the championship banner is not big enough for him to notice it.

40 minutes ago, rma said:

Alnutt has 2 years left on his contract. If it was going to be extended it would have been by now. …Alnutt shouldn't have to make a major hire again.

So in that case even if GHIII continues to be terrible we’re stuck with him for the 2 remaining years + the first year of the new AD

Many  season ticket holders in my section are not renewing. Some have had tickets for over 15 years. I am renewing but I will not renew all my seats. I see no improvement for the next several years. GH “the third” is not the future on UB MBB. Danny White added a PSL fee to most season ticket holders seats and the current product does not justify this add on seat fee. It’s a shame what has happen to the athletic department under the current incompetent AD.

41 minutes ago, JFH47 said:

Many  season ticket holders in my section are not renewing. Some have had tickets for over 15 years. I am renewing but I will not renew all my seats. I see no improvement for the next several years. GH “the third” is not the future on UB MBB. Danny White added a PSL fee to most season ticket holders seats and the current product does not justify this add on seat fee. It’s a shame what has happen to the athletic department under the current incompetent AD.

We had a really good run of ADs, not sure what happened on this on. He is ultra focused on football, which has definitely hurt our basketball product. There is almost no increase in funding for basketball than when Oats was here. Based upon 2022 available info, basketball was funded at $2.6 million, women’s basketball was at $2.3 million. Women’s basketball is very comparable to high mid-majors. MBB is about half. I would like all of our sports to be relevant. It’s great we have a new locker room and sports performance center, but as you have seen with the wrong leadership you will still suck. I’m hoping Lembo rights that ship. We should be funding MBB properly too if we expect anyone to compete.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

We had a really good run of ADs, not sure what happened on this on. He is ultra focused on football, which has definitely hurt our basketball product. There is almost no increase in funding for basketball than when Oats was here. Based upon 2022 available info, basketball was funded at $2.6 million, women’s basketball was at $2.3 million. Women’s basketball is very comparable to high mid-majors. MBB is about half. I would like all of our sports to be relevant. It’s great we have a new locker room and sports performance center, but as you have seen with the wrong leadership you will still suck. I’m hoping Lembo rights that ship. We should be funding MBB properly too if we expect anyone to compete.

You are always providing a very fair and thoughtful point of view.

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Based upon 2022 available info, basketball was funded at $2.6 million, women’s basketball was at $2.3 million. Women’s basketball is very comparable to high mid-majors. MBB is about half. I would like all of our sports to be relevant.

Is this true?? I'm flabbergasted if so. I'm an infamous non-enjoyer of ladies' hoops so I'm biased, but how are we so off in funding for the men's program? 

On 3/23/2024 at 12:24 PM, rma said:

Obviously Bona's exclusively MBB donors care about the NIT enough to pony up money to buy him out

Unless he reached a deal with St. Bonaventure for some money on his way out, his buyout was $0.00.  Remember he quit, he was not fired.  Buyouts have to be paid when an AD or a coach is not fired for cause (cause is not bad results, cause is for violating rules. See Cohane, Tim).

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Unless he reached a deal with St. Bonaventure for some money on his way out, his buyout was $0.00.  Remember he quit, he was not fired.  Buyouts have to be paid when an AD or a coach is not fired for cause (cause is not bad results, cause is for violating rules. See Cohane, Tim).

Tim Cohane 🤢 Cheating to achieve mediocrity is very, very sad.

30 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

This seems more like a convenient excuse to remove someone rather than an actual reason. 

For the actual AD though, if he did this without telling anyone or talking to anyone, what the hell are you thinking? Maybe he was pulling a George Costanza and trying to get fired. Shitting on the NIT at St. Bonaventure is a good start to that! 😂

6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Buyout or given money to leave I view as the same thing. I don’t think he just voluntarily decided to leave without any monetary compensation. 

Remember Quentin Hillsman “resigned” too. He got a nice payday to resign, even though it’s possible he could have been fired for cause.