Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo @ Ohio (2/25 - 7pm)

Jeseph

Injury added to insult with Williams going down. Hopefully it's not a long term thing, as we're lean there to start with, not to mention Williams is a strong player. If the worst case scenario comes to pass and UB can't get top 4, being at 5 with BSU at 4, BG at 1 would be the "best" path, right? No easy path, can only take care of your own games now and let the others fall into place. Someone is going to lose each night, just have to hope that it's not us...tonight it was us.

Edited by skrabukes

10 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Ohio had not beaten a team with a winning record prior to tonight. 

As someone said earlier UB is capable of winning or losing any game they play. Still do not understand any minutes Grant gets but it looks like it comes down to a numbers game now. Somehow this coaching staff must still think he can contribute and still do not understand how Gallion is not getting more playing time??The only positive is our free throw shooting has improved and somehow hope Williams is not hurt where he will miss time. Again no contributions from either Hardnett or Bertram. We can only hope for a big turnaround game against Akron and hope for a big, enthusiastic crowd on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!!

On 2/25/2020 at 9:41 PM, John said:

As someone said earlier UB is capable of winning or losing any game they play. Still do not understand any minutes Grant gets but it looks like it comes down to a numbers game now. Somehow this coaching staff must still think he can contribute and still do not understand how Gallion is not getting more playing time??The only positive is our free throw shooting has improved and somehow hope Williams is not hurt where he will miss time. Again no contributions from either Hardnett or Bertram. We can only hope for a big turnaround game against Akron and hope for a big, enthusiastic crowd on Saturday. Go Bulls!!!!

Bulls have shot 73.5 % from charity stripe in last 12 games. In a close game, which more often than not is the case with this team, that could be the difference.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
3 hours ago, squire17 said:

Bulls have shot 73.5 % from charity stripe in last 12 games. In a close game, which more often than not is the case with this team, that could be the difference.

Agree that is the might help us but on another note we just have not been able to consistently put two good halves together to us fans has been the frustrating part. Not sure of Williams status but if we have to see more of Grant we are in big trouble. You can see teams playing off Grant in many cases and inviting him to shoot three’s and he seems very unsure of what to do. Oh, if players could have jump shots inside the three point line but we see so little jump shots and players driving and taking jump shots. Hope for a good game against Akron with a good crowd especially from the students. Go Bulls!!!!

3 minutes ago, John said:

Agree that is the might help us but on another note we just have not been able to consistently put two good halves together to us fans has been the frustrating part. Not sure of Williams status but if we have to see more of Grant we are in big trouble. You can see teams playing off Grant in many cases and inviting him to shoot three’s and he seems very unsure of what to do. Oh, if players could have jump shots inside the three point line but we see so little jump shots and players driving and taking jump shots. Hope for a good game against Akron with a good crowd especially from the students. Go Bulls!!!!

To this I say attack the rim. Over the course of the season our 2 point efficiency has been better than our 3 point efficiency. Attack the rim. Penetrate and kick or penetrate and attack. If we are hitting free throws keep attacking. Graves is a better spot up 3 point shooter so kick out to him. 

All Grant wants to do is chuck 3s but he’s capable of more I don’t know why he just chucks 3s.

20 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

To this I say attack the rim. Over the course of the season our 2 point efficiency has been better than our 3 point efficiency. Attack the rim. Penetrate and kick or penetrate and attack. If we are hitting free throws keep attacking. Graves is a better spot up 3 point shooter so kick out to him. 

All Grant wants to do is chuck 3s but he’s capable of more I don’t know why he just chucks 3s.

He has not shown he is capable of more that I have seen all year. It is the age of basketball we are in and I can not see it changing. How may games do we see that teams shoot 25+ 3’s and make like 3 or 4 and that is the reason they lose. That is the one reason Bona lost last night with Welsh along with others not making their shots and their 3’s, Welsh was like 2-14 overall with many open 3’s missed. Not even sure if players practice jump shots inside the 3 point line anymore. I even seen Mballa after a game shooting 3’s?? Hope he is practicing his inside moves around the basket. Hope to see a big game from him against Akron. Go Bulls!!!

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Ordinarily this works. Against Ohio it didn’t: Bulls shot under 33% from inside the arc, and were out rebounded to boot.

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

Ordinarily this works. Against Ohio it didn’t: Bulls shot under 33% from inside the arc, and were out rebounded to boot.

Disagree. We got to the line 22 times against Ohio. 22! Plus we had 11 o-boards to their 7. We got out rebounded by only 3 and that’s bc we missed 92738292 shots. Our bread has been buttered all season inside the arc. Yes I agree we need better shooting going forward. And during the win streak we got it. But it’s come mostly from guys like Jordan, Graves and Johnson. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

2 hours ago, John said:

He has not shown he is capable of more that I have seen all year. It is the age of basketball we are in and I can not see it changing. How may games do we see that teams shoot 25+ 3’s and make like 3 or 4 and that is the reason they lose. That is the one reason Bona lost last night with Welsh along with others not making their shots and their 3’s, Welsh was like 2-14 overall with many open 3’s missed. Not even sure if players practice jump shots inside the 3 point line anymore. I even seen Mballa after a game shooting 3’s?? Hope he is practicing his inside moves around the basket. Hope to see a big game from him against Akron. Go Bulls!!!

I’m not saying step inside the 3 point line and take a long distance 2 point shot. In the game against Ohio he had a driving 3 point play. He has shown flashes that he can do that when he’s not being stubborn living beyond the 3 point line. Just saying, by coming off the 3 point line he can increase his efficiency.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Disagree. We got to the line 22 times against Ohio. 22! Plus we had 11 o-boards to their 7. We got out rebounded by only 3 and that’s bc we missed 92738292 shots. Our bread has been buttered all season inside the arc. Yes I agree we need better shooting going forward. And during the win streak we got it. But it’s come mostly from guys like Jordan, Graves and Johnson. 

The Bulls shot reasonably well from 3 in the Ohio game - 9 of 25 for 36%. They were great from the foul line - 18 of 22 (incidentally, they took 22 shots, which isn’t exactly the same as getting to the line 22 times. Both Mballa and Johnson were 7 for 7 with several 2 for 2s). They were almost even in rebounds. And yet they lost by 11. How, exactly? They shot horribly from inside the arc. 32.4% doesn’t get it done.

I’m not saying shoot more 3s. I agree with you that they should strive to shoot in closer, get to the rim, but it didn’t work out against Ohio.

Edited by squire17

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

The Bulls shot reasonably well from 3 in the Ohio game - 9 of 25 for 36%. They were great from the foul line - 18 of 22 (incidentally, they took 22 shots, which isn’t exactly the same as getting to the line 22 times. Both Mballa and Johnson were 7 for 7 with several 2 for 2s). They were almost even in rebounds. And yet they lost by 11. How, exactly? They shot horribly from inside the arc. 32.4% doesn’t get it done.

I’m not saying shoot more 3s. I agree with you that they should strive to shoot in closer, get to the rim, but it didn’t work out against Ohio.

Could be a problem is the way today’s game is players don’t devote practice time to shots inside the 3 point line?? The majority of the players just want to shoot 3’s. Watching pre game practice most of the players are out by the 3 point line.  Still enjoy seeing good inside play from the athletic bigs. So hope players would practice more shot making inside the arc but today’s game seems to be dominated by the 3 point shot sometimes for the good but there are more games with horrible 3 point shot averages. Still will continue to enjoy the college game vs the pro game. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John said:

Could be a problem is the way today’s game is players don’t devote practice time to shots inside the 3 point line?? The majority of the players just want to shoot 3’s. Watching pre game practice most of the players are out by the 3 point line.  Still enjoy seeing good inside play from the athletic bigs. So hope players would practice more shot making inside the arc but today’s game seems to be dominated by the 3 point shot sometimes for the good but there are more games with horrible 3 point shot averages. Still will continue to enjoy the college game vs the pro game. Go Bulls!!!!

Without a doubt. This is the thinking in the nba. They only want 3 types of shots...layups/dunk, free throws and/or 3s. No in between. Just look at the Rockets.

• Like 1