Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

20 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Ohio lands a Top 200 HS recruit in the 2024 class. Ayden Evans is a 6-10 center (listed as 6-8) on 247, a 3 star recruit, ranked 185th in his class and 32nd among centers. He chose the Bobcats over West Virginia, Seton Hall, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Missouri. Bobcats will be anxious to make sure he signs during the fall.

https://247sports.com/player/ayden-evans-46118012/

Rivals has him listed as a 4 star player.

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/ayden-evans-286511?view=pv

Boals can definitely recruit, with five players out of nineteen (26%) recruits who scored 5 or more points in their freshman year.  The question will be how long they play for Ohio.   Sears left after two years, possible that AJ Brown  leaves after this coming season.  Not a knock on Boals, but indicative of the 'transfer portal' world we live in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Boals can definitely recruit, with five players out of nineteen (26%) recruits who scored 5 or more points in their freshman year.  The question will be how long they play for Ohio.   Sears left after two years, possible that AJ Brown  leaves after this coming season.  Not a knock on Boals, but indicative of the 'transfer portal' world we live in.

Mid-majors have become a feeder system for P5 schools. The good news about that is many P5 players that don't work out will be looking to transfer to mid-majors. Another consequence of the portal is that some talented high school recruits that would've quickly been recruited to P5 schools in the past are forced to sign with mid-major schools with P5 programs opting for "sure things" instead of investing in player development. 

The days of playing the long term game are over. Coaches have been forced to transition to year-to-year mode instead of building towards the future.

• Like 1

This is another area where collectives will be vital in the future. Everyone always focuses on using the money to bring in new recruits but it'll also be necessary to raise funds in hopes of retaining your best talent.

55 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

This is another area where collectives will be vital in the future. Everyone always focuses on using the money to bring in new recruits but it'll also be necessary to raise funds in hopes of retaining your best talent.

And also to pay head coaches. Which will be necessary to keep Boals. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
14 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Ouch, coaches poll has UB not making it to Cleveland, #9 in MAC.

https://getsomemaction.com/news/2023/11/1/mens-basketball-mac-announces-2023-24-mens-basketball-preseason-poll-and-teams.aspx

Rooting for the Bulls to prove them wrong.  Personally I think they will.

Being an underdog without many expectations, even from the fan base, can be a great motivator. The coaching staff can use this to their advantage. Hopefully we have the talent to prove everyone wrong.

4 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Being an underdog without many expectations, even from the fan base, can be a great motivator. The coaching staff can use this to their advantage. Hopefully we have the talent to prove everyone wrong.

I too am rooting for the team to prove people wrong.  Realistically hoping you see signs that bode well for next year, like contributions from two of the freshman, Fulcher shows he can be a good pg and signs that Jones or Williamson can be solid players.   Looking to have a solid core that you can add a couple of players to and get back to top tier MAC team.  Time will tell.

Edited by DocCas86

6 hours ago, UBinMD said:

That’s odd, is this just happening? Interesting timing.

I don't know the reason for sure but looking on Miami fan forum there is one explanation offered that it had to do with academics.  Also there are conflicting opinions as to whether he will play this year.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

I don't know the reason for sure but looking on Miami fan forum there is one explanation offered that it had to do with academics.  Also there are conflicting opinions as to whether he will play this year.

Don’t see how he could possibly play this season but the rules are so gray and muddled now who even knows. Is Kent and easier academic school than Miami?

21 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Don’t see how he could possibly play this season but the rules are so gray and muddled now who even knows. Is Kent and easier academic school than Miami?

I didn't know if it is easier but Kent is known as being an easy school to recruit for

Wouldn't be shocked if something academically came up and they helped him out with going to kent

50 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

What I saw was potentially Miami withdrew his scholarship, in that case he may be able to play, maybe starting with MAC play.  But of course none of this is official publicly, so who knows.

21 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Yes.  Whether it is deserved or not Miami called itself a "public Ivy".  Kent State is no where close to that level.  Academically Miami is either the second or third best academic school in the conference, with Ohio.  UB is a clear number one on the academic level.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Yes.  Whether it is deserved or not Miami called itself a "public Ivy".  Kent State is no where close to that level.  Academically Miami is either the second or third best academic school in the conference, with Ohio.  UB is a clear number one on the academic level.

If Miami is a public Ivy, then I'm a overweight near 40 year old "Josh Allen"....

• Haha 1

The MAC / SB challenge kicks off tonight with Ohio vs Troy.  Per Kenpom Ohio should have the advantage.  Here are all the games with the Kenpom rankings.

image.png.8b4b66e86685296925376e065af9e772.png

Games that are intriguing are JMU vs Kent, and So Miss vs Akron.  Bowling Green vs Arkansas St could be interesting as well.  I really like this arrangement - and hope we get some good games foreseeable future.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Anyone see that wild ending to the Kent state JMU game? Crazy finish in the first OT. 

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/38859656

I tuned in for last 10 minutes, but I turned it off when Kent went up 5 with so little time.   Pretty crazy ending and JMU went on to win.  It was a great game what I saw of it.

If you are betting on mid-major football, you should lose all of your money and get into a program to help you.

• 3 weeks later...