Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Around the MAC

6 minutes ago, Blue03 said:

Haven’t checked all the matchups for difficulty of schedule, but interesting to note that Kent, Akron, and presumably (pending a smacking of a nobody team) Toledo are only starting off 4-3. 

Screenshot_20231129-1530032.thumb.png.155f643f295ea490d5a9a7604ab2aef9.png

The top four are all currently bunched together.  Also down slightly from prior years where top MAC teams were ranked in 70s / 80s.

Northern Illinois are a little off the lead pack at 160.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, MuchMany said:

That's a big improvement. I dig the the split colors, not sure I've seen that before.

Now they can try some pitiful fan participation cheer, like, "Go Red, Go Black", and know which color they should be yelling by where they're sitting.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Now they can try some pitiful fan participation cheer, like, "Go Red, Go Black", and know which color they should be yelling by where they're sitting.

I dropped a note in the suggestion box that they get Alumni Arena staffers involved in leading that cheer on court for us, so hopefully it has a little extra energy next time we do it. 😁

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I dropped a note in the suggestion box that they get Alumni Arena staffers involved in leading that cheer on court for us, so hopefully it has a little extra energy next time we do it. 😁

Smart ass.  As long as they do that before 2/10, I'm okay with it.  I'm off until then.  Just had knee replacement.

• Like 1

M-OH (#265 Kenpom) giving Toledo (#146) all they can handle on CBSSN, leading 40-29 at the half.  Would be a huge road win for the RedHawks if they can pull it off, and maybe give a little hope to other bottom half of the MAC teams.

Edit:  Toledo wound up winning 68-64.  Still a decent showing by M-OH.  Should be a good test for the Bulls Tuesday night.

Edited by Bluebird96

And BG is up on Akron, not quite halfway through the second half.  I think the gap between the top four in the MAC and next four is not as big as in the past.

Akron will probably end up winning, they just narrowed gap to three points while I wrote the post.

Akron pulled away for the 83-67 win over BG.  Freeman with 24/11, have to believe he’ll be one of the favorites for MAC POY and maybe DPOY also.  Would love to have a player with his energy and intensity who plays bigger than his size.

Edited by Bluebird96

On 1/4/2024 at 11:13 PM, ChubbyHubby said:

Smart ass.  As long as they do that before 2/10, I'm okay with it.  I'm off until then.  Just had knee replacement.

Hope the surgery and recovery are going well Dave! See you soon hopefully.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

So WMU wipes out a 15 point deficit and wins by 5 in OT going to 3-0. What the hell is going on in the MAC?

Granted,  WMU has beaten 3 of the weaker teams thus far, but still impressive start with 2 road wins for a team picked to finish in the bottom third of the MAC.

Also Kent is sitting at 1-2 though I’m sure they’ll be just fine in the end.  UB ahead of only 0-3 NIU and BSU, let’s see if we can pick up any wins in the 3 games versus them.

11 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Granted,  WMU has beaten 3 of the weaker teams thus far, but still impressive start with 2 road wins for a team picked to finish in the bottom third of the MAC.

Also Kent is sitting at 1-2 though I’m sure they’ll be just fine in the end.  UB ahead of only 0-3 NIU and BSU, let’s see if we can pick up any wins in the 3 games versus them.

Kent is struggling and I believe they have the two tallest players on their team out with injuries.  Biggest player getting minutes is Chris Payton 6'7".  They may slip a little this year. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2024 at 10:49 AM, Bluebird96 said:

We had a soft 3 games to start conference play including two at home. I’d trade our 1-2 start for theirs. Essentially with 3 wins in the bag, they may only need 4-5 more to find their way into Cleveland.

17 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We had a soft 3 games to start conference play including two at home. I’d trade our 1-2 start for theirs. Essentially with 3 wins in the bag, they may only need 4-5 more to find their way into Cleveland.

Absolutely.  These were 3 of the softest games on the schedule where I thought UB had a chance to start 3-0 (albeit followed by maybe only 1 or 2 more W’s all season).  But seeing other MAC teams struggle a bit gives one some hope, just not enough to feel confident that this year’s Bulls have a legitimate shot to make it to Cleveland unless they find a way to turn things around in a big way.  

Kent and Ohio join UB at 1-3.  Maybe we’re not the only ones due for a down year in the MAC.  All we can do is continue supporting our guys and hope they keep improving.  Hate to be a broken record and not sure there’s any solution this year, but the 3-pt shooting leaves a lot to be desired.  Team has shot <30% in 8 of 16 games and <40% in 15 (only 40%+ game was vs Roberts Wesleyan at 4/9).  If we could somehow manage to eclipse 40% a few times, it could make the difference between W and L.