Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC Championship-Ohio

UB85

Just now, MDBullsfan89 said:

Turns out it was 25 minutes away, but they got it done. Hamlet with the winning shot in OT and Reese with the free throws to seal it. Congrats to them! Definitely could have used them here the last few seasons.

I was watching.  I can't fault Reese for leaving when he did bc of the guard depth we had at the time, but Hamlet could've been great here.  As Noah Williams could've been.  We desperately needed another PG this year.

Disappointed is an understatement. Congrats to the team for a tremendous turnaround this year. It was a fun ride. Many teams would have folded. The team deserved a better ending. It’s not all doom and gloom. Williams game improved significantly this year. So did Mballa. Segu has a tremendous year too. If Williams defense can improve as much as his offense has, he will be POTY. All the best to the seniors, especially Graves. I’m sure he is way more disappointed than any of us fans. He is a tremendous athlete and will go down as one of our top players. 

9 hours ago, Chet said:

Disappointed is an understatement. Congrats to the team for a tremendous turnaround this year. It was a fun ride. Many teams would have folded. The team deserved a better ending. It’s not all doom and gloom. Williams game improved significantly this year. So did Mballa. Segu has a tremendous year too. If Williams defense can improve as much as his offense has, he will be POTY. All the best to the seniors, especially Graves. I’m sure he is way more disappointed than any of us fans. He is a tremendous athlete and will go down as one of our top players. 

I really thought this team was going to roll into the NCAAs. They just seemed up to the challenge, they way they stared down Miami and Akron. So I'm shocked at how badly they were shut down by Ohio. Have you ever seen so many air balls? Not to mention terrible free throw shooting. Was that coaching? Players have to make shots.

Still, 16-8 is equivalent to a 20-win season. (The Reggie threshold.) Not going to fire the coach after that. 

Edited by promotherobot

2 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I really thought this team was going to roll into the NCAAs. They just seemed up to the challenge, they way they stared down Miami and Kent State. So I'm shocked at how badly they were shut down by Ohio. Have you ever seen so many air balls? Not to mention terrible free throw shooting. Was that coaching? Players have to make shots.

Still, 16-8 is equivalent to a 20-win season. (The Reggie threshold.) Not going to fire the coach after that. 

Part of getting to the NCAA is luck and having the bracket break in your favor. Ohio played a Kent st team that obviously has issues and appeared to have given up and a Toledo team that ive never seen a team hate going inside and working for a basket as much as them

Ohio had fresher legs and more juice, ub had nothing left. A lot if not most is on how a coach handles rotations but it also helps when the bracket falls in your favor

This will mirror what many here have said, but... it's all in the legs. We had Ohio players driving past us with ease early in the game. We clearly didn't have the legs to play defense, and as so much of our offense is derived from getting stops and out in transition, we didn't put up the points we usually do. 

Having to expend energy running a half court offense with a team with limited outside shooting didn't help.

Our lack of depth (and OT game the night before) doomed us for this one.

I'm proud of the way we turned our season around, and I'm not as doom and gloom as many here for next year. We have a great nucleus. Have to hope, however, that Brewton has more in the tank than he showed this year, that Zachary plays and is as advertised, and that Jack steps in and contributes. Finding a few more contributors would go a long way, too.

Have to give credit to Ohio, they just outplayed us in all aspects. They deserved that game. It’s a shame seeing that effort from us in the championship but have to give credit where it’s due. Hope Ohio can win a game, they’re definitely dangerous when they get hot.

Ohio was a buzzsaw in this tournament. It will go down as one of the best tournament performances of all time with what they were able to do against Kent, Toledo and us in three days. 

remember they were off the whole final week of the season so they entered Cleveland as probably the freshest team and showed it 

I think the Akron game had such a championship feel to it that it was hard to replicate that back to back nights. In some ways this tournament is so much harder than even NCAAs because there are no days off. 

im proud of the players and proud of this coaching staff for what they were able to accomplish this year. 

• Like 1