Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Portal

Jeseph

anyone hearing anything  I found this on college site 

Things seem to be heating up with Buffalo offensive center transfer Mike Novitsky. I'm sure it's a little difficult for Ole Miss recruiting the 6-foot-5, 295-pound center being that they are currently without an offensive line coach, but we hear that the communication between the two parties has been positive. The other schools involved right now are UCLA, Maryland, Florida, Tennessee, N' Western, Texas, Baylor and Purdue.

2 hours ago, markchicago said:

anyone hearing anything  I found this on college site 

Things seem to be heating up with Buffalo offensive center transfer Mike Novitsky. I'm sure it's a little difficult for Ole Miss recruiting the 6-foot-5, 295-pound center being that they are currently without an offensive line coach, but we hear that the communication between the two parties has been positive. The other schools involved right now are UCLA, Maryland, Florida, Tennessee, N' Western, Texas, Baylor and Purdue.

Might as well go to Baylor to play with Gall. None of the rest are any better, except maybe Florida. I guess we should be happy that we are a good minor league preparatory school that can take these 2 star recruits and turn them into hot commodities. Although the recent transfers and their launch to the NFL hadn’t been much to write about. Good luck to him if he goes. He played a vital role in our recent success. Hopefully the next Novitsky is in our pipeline or joining our ranks this summer. Nobody is irreplaceable.

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

We’ve been active with OL, keep bringing the depth. I’m interested to see who will be vying for center. I assume there was a backup. Not sure if any of the incoming guys are centers. They just lump OL into one big group for some reason

I think the positions on the line (outside of center) are a big more fluid in the college game

Teams that lost the most per 247.com

Based on the Athlon projections link in the article, as far as starters that projected 2 deep looks glaring (Debose + Cone should be circled too, while Woods is still on the roster). As it is, before the transfers we had four 2020 All-MAC players going pro who had to be replaced. Riggins, Wright, James Patterson, Fuzak, Marks, Ron Cook, McNulty have been All-MAC, and Vantrease is 12-4 as a starter. Winning the MAC East looks a lot tougher, but another bowl should be our team's basement. We need:

*Polgar to step in a center, the same way Novitsky stepped in for O'Hagan. Or he/Jordan Johnson at guard, if the new JUCO center wins a starting spot. Otherwise the backup OL players have decent experience in the last 2 years of blowout wins. You just hope the blocking schemes of the new staff fit the zone blocking experience of the current players.

*We have experienced possession and slot receivers, and Molinich is a beast blocking TE. So we need to uncover at least 1 speedster among the younger WR's and work in Tyler Stevens as a tall TE receiving option.

*Adam Beck should be competitive at DB to replace Hill. DB's and LB's are experienced and strong MAC units. Rogers in for Wilson, different skills at DT but should flourish in the MAC. Depth players like Polizzi, Wolo, and Kyler Laing were sneaky productive when they got in last season so the D should be a strength.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Based on the Athlon projections link in the article, as far as starters that projected 2 deep looks glaring (Debose + Cone should be circled too, while Woods is still on the roster). As it is, before the transfers we had four 2020 All-MAC players going pro who had to be replaced. Riggins, Wright, James Patterson, Fuzak, Ron Cook, McNulty have been All-MAC, and Vantrease is 12-4 as a starter. Winning the MAC East looks a lot tougher, but another bowl should be our team's basement. We need:

*Polgar to step in a center, the same way Novitsky stepped in for O'Hagen. Or he/Jordan Johnson at guard, if the new JUCO center wins a starting spot. Otherwise the backup OL players have decent experience in the last 2 years of blowout wins. You just hope the blocking schemes of the new staff fit the zone blocking experience of the current players.

*We have experienced possession and slot receivers, and Molinich is a beast blocking TE. So we need to uncover at least 1 speedster among the younger WR's and work in Tyler Stevens as a tall TE receiving option.

*Adam Beck should be competitive at DB to replace Hill. DB's and LB's are experienced and strong MAC units. Rogers in for Wilson, different skills at DT but should flourish in the MAC. Depth players like Polizzi, Wolo, and Kyler Laing were sneaky productive when they got in last season so the D should be a strength.

Good analysis. I see that O'Hagen is coming back to help out, so maybe he can help with that learning curve for the next center. I'm really looking forward to having the past players around. It seems like our current coaching staff is going above and beyond to get them back in the fold. I never heard anything about the previous coaching staff doing any of that. It seemed odd not to lean on those people that have had success. I'm glad that's becoming a thing now. The kids will enjoy it I think!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Good analysis. I see that O'Hagan is coming back to help out, so maybe he can help with that learning curve for the next center. I'm really looking forward to having the past players around. It seems like our current coaching staff is going above and beyond to get them back in the fold. I never heard anything about the previous coaching staff doing any of that. It seemed odd not to lean on those people that have had success. I'm glad that's becoming a thing now. The kids will enjoy it I think!

True, past players would visit under the last staff, but adding from the past winning teams can only help.

I certainly hope we grab a few more transfers and haven't slowed down. The Big 12 isn't the best defensive league by a long shot but I like the look of Rogers and Beck fitting in.

This year's graduations and transfers are no where close to the loses from 2018 into 2019. We had only 2 of 10 All-MAC players back in Patterson and Ksiezarczyk. And we won 8 games.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Based on the Athlon projections link in the article, as far as starters that projected 2 deep looks glaring (Debose + Cone should be circled too, while Woods is still on the roster). As it is, before the transfers we had four 2020 All-MAC players going pro who had to be replaced. Riggins, Wright, James Patterson, Fuzak, Marks, Ron Cook, McNulty have been All-MAC, and Vantrease is 12-4 as a starter. Winning the MAC East looks a lot tougher, but another bowl should be our team's basement. We need:

*Polgar to step in a center, the same way Novitsky stepped in for O'Hagan. Or he/Jordan Johnson at guard, if the new JUCO center wins a starting spot. Otherwise the backup OL players have decent experience in the last 2 years of blowout wins. You just hope the blocking schemes of the new staff fit the zone blocking experience of the current players.

I believe that Khamran Laborn could take Wilson’s spot, he’s incredibly quick. We got some good linemen as well coming in. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the true freshman step up and play this season 

14 hours ago, Dabulls said:

I believe that Khamran Laborn could take Wilson’s spot, he’s incredibly quick. We got some good linemen as well coming in. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the true freshman step up and play this season 

I have wondered about Khamran. He has ability and I would bet he wants to be on the field with his cousin this year. But with several SR and super Sr WR's, would this staff choose to RS him, like the last staff handled Anthony Johnson out of JUCO? That worked out well in the long run. Marlyn Johnson and Porter will push those Sr's for playing time, too.

I agree a freshman, like Gassett, would be tough to sit if he has the major talent his speed could provide.

11 hours ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

I have wondered about Khamran. He has ability and I would bet he wants to be on the field with his cousin this year. But with several SR and super Sr WR's, would this staff choose to RS him, like the last staff handled Anthony Johnson out of JUCO? That worked out well in the long run. Marlyn Johnson and Porter will push those Sr's for playing time, too.

I agree a freshman, like Gassett, would be tough to sit if he has the major talent his speed could provide.

Coach Mo is not the guy that will bench guys who can help the team win (at least in my opinion).

It will be interesting to see how Ruiz & Johnson fit into Mo's vision. I could definitely see a world where neither of them see the field as much as expected for being 6th year guys.

• 2 weeks later...