Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo's Next CJ Massinburg: Jayvon Graves

Kevin

As stated before in the Ohio game thread, I think Jayvon is a tad further along in his sophomore year than Massinburg's sophomore year. I believe his athleticism has a much higher ceiling than CJ which allows Jayvon to grow a bit more. (against just my opinion based on observation).

Barring injuries, I think Jayvon's junior and senior year can be something special. I think one thing about Jayvon needs to work on is having that confidence and perhaps showing a bit more emotion to be a future leader.

5 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

As stated before in the Ohio game thread, I think Jayvon is a tad further along in his sophomore year than Massinburg's sophomore year. I believe his athleticism has a much higher ceiling than CJ which allows Jayvon to grow a bit more. (against just my opinion based on observation).

Barring injuries, I think Jayvon's junior and senior year can be something special. I think one thing about Jayvon needs to work on is having that confidence and perhaps showing a bit more emotion to be a future leader.

He does seem quiet and reserved for now. I wonder how much of that is his personality and how much of it is just respect for the current seniors. Time will tell, the future is bright!

Graves is the model for our current and future freshman. He played 8-10 minutes as a frosh if that and developed a small role and continued to grow by March. As a sophomore he is blossoming while still taking a backseat to the seniors. And by his junior/senior years he will be a leader and go to player. 

This is the example for guys like Segu and Williams. And also proof that Oats can grow and develope players. The future still remains bright and he no doubt will he a big part of it.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

He does seem quiet and reserved for now. I wonder how much of that is his personality and how much of it is just respect for the current seniors. Time will tell, the future is bright!

I want to say that's his personality, every game he doesn't show much emotion, and is quite reserved. I would say some passion and emotion would also rub off onto other players.

Can agree he never shows any emotion haha. He rarely even cracks a smile so it almost makes you wonder if he's happy to be here but I have a feeling it's just who he is. Even after a vicious dunk he makes no facial expressions and just runs back down the field lol its crazy. His style of play def shows his effort and drive though. He's always really working hard

14 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I think he is just a quiet guy. I’m pretty sure Oats called him a “Silent Killer”. I also watched the Ohio post game press conference and he seemed a little uncomfortable. Regardless, I am excited to see what he will become in the next couple of years.

Graves really has not had to be the front and center guy and with all the other players getting most of the attention. He just seems to go about his role on this team and help in different ways. Just has made great strides from last year and would think he will make greater strides next year. Go Bulls!!!!

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I want to say that's his personality, every game he doesn't show much emotion, and is quite reserved. I would say some passion and emotion would also rub off onto other players.

I think this is what makes it a team effort. Right now I would say Dontay and Perk are emotional leaders. CJ and Harris tend to be more in control of emotions. Graves going forward can be the silent killer while someone else takes the mantle of emotional leader. It doesn’t all fall on one guy.

Also he was a little uncomfy and short answered on his postgame the other night. But that’s fine. He can grow into being slighty more eloquent on cam. 

But I agree with all about his progression and ceiling.

• 9 months later...