Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Search for a New Head Coach

Jeseph

2 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Wouldn't be shocked if Murchie was in on the Oats raise/extension. Hes very into the AD.

Wonder if you could get Whitesell and Hodgeson to both stay with enough money, if Bama is only offereing 275k per year, does that mean hed stay for 400 plus a solid HC job?

You guys can call me crazy, but i think there is more to the interim tag, which probably leads Bryan to look around in the first place. 

I may be alone, but I think Alnutt gives/gave Jim the first crack at this.

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

You guys can call me crazy, but i think there is more to the interim tag, which probably leads Bryan to look around in the first place. 

I’m sure he’s qualified, but it seems to be an uninspired choice from an outsiders perspective 

6 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I would agree there is definitely something to getting an interim tag (Although interim usually means nothing in most cases)

None of us really know what the best situation would be. In fact we all thought Oats was a great get but didn't exactly know what it would turn out to look like.

That being said, almost like Admin mentioned earlier, I want to some how latch onto this idea of Hodgson being HC for 400k and Jim being ok with being #1 on the staff for like 250k. Thus being able to keep a lot of Oats core and Jim being sort of the failsafe with the actually coaching experience. No idea if this makes sense in their minds.

I feel like if Hodgson gets the job Whitsell probably leaves with Oats maybe. I think Oats just takes whoever doesnt get the HC

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

I would agree there is definitely something to getting an interim tag (Although interim usually means nothing in most cases)

None of us really know what the best situation would be. In fact we all thought Oats was a great get but didn't exactly know what it would turn out to look like.

That being said, almost like Admin mentioned earlier, I want to some how latch onto this idea of Hodgson being HC for 400k and Jim being ok with being #1 on the staff for like 250k. Thus being able to keep a lot of Oats core and Jim being sort of the failsafe with the actually coaching experience. No idea if this makes sense in their minds.

I feel like if Hodgson gets the job Whitsell probably leaves with Oats maybe. I think Oats just takes whoever doesnt get the HC

“He’s definitely coming unless -- he’s supposed to get an interview up there, so obviously he could get the head job,” Oats said Thursday. “But I think they’re going to interview two of my former assistants -- Coach (Jim) Whitesell and Coach Hodgson both. So, we’ll figure it out. It’s a lot of moving parts, and it’s not easy, either. Sometimes you come in and everybody’s gone, and it’s great that there’s three assistants here continuing to keep things rolling and they’ve got a really good reputation amongst the department. I had great conversations with all three today.” Oats said Buffalo wants to have the hiring process of its next head coach completed in the next week and a half or so. Hodgson flew to Tuscaloosa along with Oats on Wednesday evening.

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

“He’s definitely coming unless -- he’s supposed to get an interview up there, so obviously he could get the head job,” Oats said Thursday. “But I think they’re going to interview two of my former assistants -- Coach (Jim) Whitesell and Coach Hodgson both. So, we’ll figure it out. It’s a lot of moving parts, and it’s not easy, either. Sometimes you come in and everybody’s gone, and it’s great that there’s three assistants here continuing to keep things rolling and they’ve got a really good reputation amongst the department. I had great conversations with all three today.” Oats said Buffalo wants to have the hiring process of its next head coach completed in the next week and a half or so. Hodgson flew to Tuscaloosa along with Oats on Wednesday evening.

That’s pretty messed up. Might be sour grapes but I don’t want Hodgson if he’s flying with Oats to Tuscaloosa. What does that say to the kids he’d be trying to keep in Buffalo??

edit: if they’re telling oats they’ll be done in a week and a half, they’ll likely have our new coach named by early next week at the latest.

Edited by UB05

1 minute ago, BrooklynBull said:

The interim tag was probably given to Whitesell because he was the associate head coach and Hodgson was an assistant.  It was just going to the next in line in the hierarchy.

We don't know that, but that would put him in the front of the line and hierarchy for the job then, hence my comment, and hence Hodgson already leaving for Alabama.

4 minutes ago, UB05 said:

That’s pretty messed up. Might be sour grapes but I don’t want Hodgson if he’s flying with Oats to Tuscaloosa. What does that say to the kids he’d be trying to keep in Buffalo??

I hate defending people that might hurt us but I guess Hodgson has to look at this way. Oats hit the ground in Bama and is already recruiting, if Bryan doesnt get the job with Buffalo, hes going to need to be the guy there as soon as possible.

Im guessing this is putting pressure on UB to either be yes or no to Hodgson in this process.

I don't want a gun to Alnutts head for Bryan. If Alnutt think there are a couple big names he can talk to, then let him go with Oats and take your week+ to do interviews.

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

Doesn't it say a lot?

BH: "[Recruit] get on the jet, go to Bama, see the facilities, if you'd like to go, best of luck, but I got on the jet, I went to Bama, saw the facilities, and decided Buffalo was the best place for me, and I hope you decide the same."

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

I hate defending people that might hurt us but I guess Hodgson has to look at this way. Oats hit the ground in Bama and is already recruiting, if Bryan doesnt get the job with Buffalo, hes going to need to be the guy there as soon as possible.

Im guessing this is putting pressure on UB to either be yes or no to Hodgson in this process.

I don't want a gun to Alnutts head for Bryan. If Alnutt think there are a couple big names he can talk to, then let him go with Oats.

Also, HC hires assistants, he has no guarantee that he still has a job at UB.

If he hesitates at Bama, he has no guarantee that Oats will hold a job for him at Alabama.  He's both highly sought after and basically unemployed.

5 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Doesn't it say a lot?

BH: "[Recruit] get on the jet, go to Bama, see the facilities, if you'd like to go, best of luck, but I got on the jet, I went to Bama, saw the facilities, and decided Buffalo was the best place for me, and I hope you decide the same."

But in the meantime, I'm taking this Alabama job and getting starting with coach Oats already plucking recruits to Bama (Hawkins announces Saturday) and no one felt the need to reach out to Andre Allen himself to talk with him (per Allen himself).

"however now I clearly determine that Buffalo is better than Alabama even though coach Oats didn't, this doesn't have to do with the money that Buffalo paid more than Alabama's assistant job"

Are we sure Hodgson doesn't take the first offer that comes his way? He sure seems like he would.

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

But in the meantime, I'm taking this Alabama job and getting starting with coach Oats already plucking recruits to Bama (Hawkins announces Saturday) and no one felt the need to reach out to Andre Allen himself to talk with him (per Allen himself).

"however now I clearly determine that Buffalo is better than Alabama even though coach Oats didn't, this doesn't have to do with the money that Buffalo paid more than Alabama's assistant job"

Are we sure Hodgson doesn't take the first offer that comes his way? He sure seems like he would.

So the flip side here is:

Hodgson continues recruiting for Buffalo, tells Oats to wait for him.

In the meantime, UB hires a external coach, he fires all the assistants and brings in his own guys. Oats says, I couldn't wait, he already finishes hiring his staff.

Hodgson is unemployed.

4 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

So the flip side here is:

Hodgson continues recruiting for Buffalo, tells Oats to wait for him.

In the meantime, UB hires a external coach, he fires all the assistants and brings in his own guys. Oats says, I couldn't wait, he already finishes hiring his staff.

Hodgson is unemployed.

We get it, the whole thing is looking after himself. Not the program he has/had a large chance to take over.  This has to be part of Alnutt's dilemma, he probably wasn't aware he'd fly to Alabama day 1 before he could even do a search. The 1 week you spent playing both sides of the fence, costs you your recruits and team. Sometimes you take risks in life, and if he doesn't want to take it, go be with Oats now or at the very least get a commitment from him how long his job would be there. 

Alnutt has to stand up for the program, the second someone re-signs to go somewhere else and my team is already losing recruits, goodbye to you sir. 

Just now, Kevin said:

We get it, the whole thing is looking after himself. Not the program he has/had a large chance to take over.  This has to be part of Alnutt's dilemma, he probably wasn't aware he'd fly to Alabama day 1 before he could even do a search. The 1 week you spent playing both sides of the fence, costs you your recruits and team. Sometimes you take risks in life, and if he doesn't want to take it, go be with Oats now or at the very least get a commitment from him how long his job would be there. 

Alnutt has to stand up for the program, the second someone re-signs to go somewhere else and my team is already losing recruits, goodbye to you sir. 

If you want someone who isn't going to take care of himself and his family... he probably isn't going to take care of his team, his players, his recruits, and his fanbase...

Alnutt has to make a hire, not based on hurt feelings, but based on what is best for the program. 

I'm gonna stop engaging but my god, but please take the advice of 1995 Monica "Don't take it personal"

28 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

The interim tag was probably given to Whitesell because he was the associate head coach and Hodgson was an assistant.  It was just going to the next in line in the hierarchy.

Associate Head Coach was started as a title to someone who is the coach in waiting.  It was a way to distinguish the seniority of a coach in the program.

1 minute ago, bull_trojan said:

If you want someone who isn't going to take care of himself and his family... he probably isn't going to take care of his team, his players, his recruits, and his fanbase...

Alnutt has to make a hire, not based on hurt feelings, but based on what is best for the program. 

I'm gonna stop engaging but my god, but please take the advice of 1995 Monica "Don't take it personal"

So by leveraging the university to hire you because you earned more money at Alabama and will take the recruits, that's looking out for more than just yourself? Leaving at the first chance you can in 2-3 years would be that too? Once again, whose taking anything personally? I'm looking at this from a business end and If I'm Alnutt, what does this show me?  Before you even interviewed for the job you took a flight and a job down in Alabama. Case closed for me.

I'm going to disagree harshly that it isn't a precursor to protecting your "family". If anything, you've proven that when the going gets tough, you revert to caring about yourself. 

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Associate Head Coach was started as a title to someone who is the coach in waiting.  It was a way to distinguish the seniority of a coach in the program.

Right, so then the guy below you jumps the line and gets the job? I don't think so. It's Whitesell's to lose if they stay internal and Hodgson felt that way with his flight to Alabama. 

Alabama currently has 3 coaches employed.  Pelfrey, Pettway and Rosemond.  Reading their bios, here's what I see.

Pelfrey = Whitesell
Pettway = Hogdson
Rosemond = Quarles

He is most likely going to keep 1.  I think he keeps Pettway from the Bio.  He has Alabama ties.  That leaves 2 openings.  Pelfrey could also be kept because he has a wealth of experience, but highly unlikely.  If Hodgson has been offered already, that means Rosemond will need to go.  I don't think Hogdson will go if it's a position like Director of Recruiting.

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

So by leveraging the university to hire you because you earned more money at Alabama and will take the recruits, that's looking out for more than just yourself? Leaving at the first chance you can in 2-3 years would be that too? Once again, whose taking anything personally? I'm looking at this from a business end and If I'm Alnutt, what does this show me?  Before you even interviewed for the job you took a flight and a job down in Alabama. Case closed for me.

I'm going to disagree harshly that it isn't a precursor to protecting your "family". If anything, you've proven that when the going gets tough, you revert to caring about yourself. 

Again, it's not leverage. If the University hires someone else, he does not have a job at UB. For all intents and purposes he does not have a job at UB today. 

He has been transparent it seems and has said I'll take the UB head coach job OR the Bama Assistant job.

The honesty is what you have claimed for 24 hours that you wanted. If he said I'm all in on UB, then left once UB hired someone else as HC you'd be calling him a snake.

You're just mad, and throwing a tantrum and calling out people's character unfairly. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The crazy world of college underworld coaching!!! I think Hodgson would not be unemployed long. He could always take a job like Alex Wood did with Hurley as his personal assistant!!!!!This whole episode stinks to high heaven. Pro sports and now college sports stink to high heaven!!!!!

4 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Again, it's not leverage. If the University hires someone else, he does not have a job at UB. For all intents and purposes he does not have a job at UB today. 

He has been transparent it seems and has said I'll take the UB head coach job OR the Bama Assistant job.

The honesty is what you have claimed for 24 hours that you wanted. If he said I'm all in on UB, then left once UB hired someone else as HC you'd be calling him a snake.

You're just mad, and throwing a tantrum and calling out people's character unfairly. 

What honesty though? He's said nothing. The university has said nothing, you are speculating too. I am pretty unsure of your scenario that I'd be calling him a snake If he left after someone else got the job. I wouldn't call him a snake? I'd honestly feel bad and feel like he did the honest thing. Instead, as you've admitted in a different way, he's playing both sides of the fence. Cool, so the university suffers because you feel he's doing "the right thing for his family". 

He's the second guy in line, he's the Associate coach, that's what just happened. Each coach got a step up until/if a replacement is found. Why didn't Whitesell leave? He could be replaced pretty easily, man. He didn't feel the need to sprint out the door.

As of right now he has/had a job and is under contract (I even think in your DOOMSDAY scenario, he'd be here still with Whitesell or another coach). Look at the Alabama staff, they are all still there awaiting the fate from Oats. I care about this Univesity and the players caught up in this fiasco. Not the current Alabama coaching staff. 

Im with Trojan on this one. Hodgson has to look out for himself. Oats is nice and taken care of but Bryan has to fly with him and keep close. He wants at worst that AC job for 275k. If UB hires someone else and he doesn't at least stay close to Oats, he ends up unemployed and in a very weird spot. I think Hodgson would prefer the HC job here. This all seems very transparent.