Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB @ Kent St. - March 4th 6pm - ESPNU

8 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Apologies, as a recent poster, I’m not sure how much history you know.  Just trying to fill in the blanks. 

No worries! I may be recent to this board but I’m a suffering UB fan from the early D-1 days. Still find it hard to believe those 6 years under Hurley and Oats actually happened. With that success came high expectations, but we need to remember that most teams don’t win their conference tournament 4 times in 5 years.  That said, of course we all hope they win it this year but they’re not making their path as easy as it could’ve been if they had been able to squeeze out a couple more wins.

2 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Anyone else notice what a solid game Hardnett had especially on the offensive end? 12 pts on 5/7 shooting, 3 boards and 0 fouls. Not sure where that came from but we need more production like that in Cleveland.

A sloppy and disjointed game for sure, and still we were in it right to the end. I’d much rather have seen a win tonight but this team didn’t quit and that should give us at least a little hope for next week!

By far his best game of the year. He was very solid in tourney and that NIT game last year. Been horrible this year to date, but hopefully he can fill in that bench piece we sorely missing for tourney if we going to make any type of run. 

10 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

If ub actually makes a run, there could be a debate that the championship game would be the easiest game (opinion akron is tougher than Kent and Ohio has been reeling) 

One could def argue that. But if it is Kent, they would be on a what 14 game win streak? I’ll put it this way…if we get to see Ohio or Kent I’d jumping for joy.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

One could def argue that. But if it is Kent, they would be on a what 14 game win streak? I’ll put it this way…if we get to see Ohio or Kent I’d jumping for joy.

Same

I don't think there are high expectations or any at all really

At this point I'm just here now for the craziness of March and hoping it helps the bulls.

If not it's onto next season and the hope a new season brings 

Edited by Tee4three

6 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Same

I don't think there are high expectations or any at all really

At this point I'm just here now for the craziness of March and hoping it helps the bulls.

If not it's onto next season and the hope a new season brings 

While always possible, a run is very unlikely.  This team has a few players (Mballa, Williams and Segu) that have some offensive talent...but as a team, they are very average....maybe Jim will try a different lineup to try to improve the 1:1 matchups, because with the current rotation, they have demonstrated in 5 loses that they cannot play with the good teams.

This game was tough, because it was so winnable. 3 clear flaws caused the loss, Turnovers in 1st half, gave up way too many O boards, too much help leaving guys open for 3s and to Kent's credit, they made them a good number of times.

Laquill had a fabulous game. This was what we (at least me anyway) was hoping for all season. Just plays strong around the basket, even with a big dunk (which we rarely see from him in the games). Mballa seemed just a bit too soft around the hoop at times, especially the first half. When he's on his game, he's almost unstoppable in this league. Let's hope that comes out again next week. WIlliams and Segu gave what they generally do, solid games overall. Fagan, Jones were solid as well. They're not our alphas right now, they need to bring good minutes when they get in there. They did, for the most part, regardless of Fagan shooting an ill-timed forced shot or two. This wasn't Maceo's game today, not sure what it was, but he disappeared and then was relegated to the pine. I know that Brewton takes nothing but heat here, but he does play really well in some areas of his game. Unfortunately he gets a bit too hot and bombs away unnecessarily. He shut down Santiago when he was killing us. If he bought in to playing like Dontay/Davonte on the defensive end and just let the offense come to him instead of trying to be the guy on O, he really would be a solid positive. Skogman is going to be a star in the next few years, as the focus will likely shift more towards him when the seniors depart.

I still don't understand the complete negativity here, where practically every single post is a negative. Yep, they lost yesterday, yep 1-5 against the top, yep squandered the #2 seed last night, but this team is still not nearly as bad as one would think if they only read some of the posts on this board. The other team is good also and only 50% of the teams win each game that's played, definitely can't and won't win them all. Let's just hope we can be on the positive side of that 50% next week, both the men and women. I for one enjoyed the game last night, outside of the final result and some of the avoidable mistakes. It's sports, not war. It's supposed to be enjoyable and I enjoy this group and hope  to see at least 3 more games with them this season (and at least 4 of the women's team!).

Edited by skrabukes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Erie County said:

You answered your own question.  You can be happy with 1-5 against the top 4, but almost all are not happy with that. It's not an isolated event, they have faulted under this staff for three seasons (including a #5 seed 1-and-done against #12 Miami). The super talented 2019-2020 roster had Williams, Segu, Graves, Mballa, and Jordan. That's not a bare roster like it will be next year. 

You said it yourself though. Even you began to admit it even if you don't want to "If they win Friday, then it's a whole new ballgame next week. If not, the good vibes of Feb are definitely looking at the pink end of a #2 pencil."

There isn't a reason to defend going 1-5 and 0-2 going into Cleveland. The team was bad and disjointed all week and even worse against good competition. The roster after next weekend is a mess. You can ignore all that stuff its your choice. You can't think 95% of people will though. 

Correct, the good vibes have been lost, but doesn't mean the season is. This squad can win, much as the women's team can win, that's why I'll be at the games enjoying my time there. You look at every misstep and call it out, but never ever call out any positives. This team has been far from perfect, but there's no reason to believe that they can't win next week.