Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bulls are going....KNOXVILLE! #4Tenn/#13Buffalo

• promotherobot changed the title to Bulls are going....KNOXVILLE! #4Tenn/#13Buffalo
4 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

not exactly a neutral court advantage 

It’s how the women’s tournament is set up for the first two rounds. Remember when we upset FSU was on their home court. Then I believe we lost to UCONN on their home court.

Edited by DooleyBull06

Get to face off against the person who hired Coach Jack at UB.  Gotta love the committee sometimes. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloJason said:

Oh no! Why is Georgia Wooley in a walking boot?!?

She was in Cleveland before the games as well. Didn't stop her from scoring 29 yesterday. 

Surprised it was not mentioned already. Tennessee is led by AD, Danny White.

The NCAA likes to do things like that in setting match ups.  In 2019 Danny Hurley told Nate Oats on Sunday morning that they were going to have Arizona State lined up to play UB if they won their first four game.  They did the same with Delaware this in both tournaments.  Their men play Villanova and the women play Maryland.  Both are local rivalry type games giving Delaware motivation to knock off a bigger name in that is in their backyard.

12 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

not exactly a neutral court advantage 

It’s a garbage format. The chairwoman of the NCAAW selection committee was going on about fighting for “equity” between what the men and women receive during their respective tournaments, but apparently “competitive fairness” within their own tournament wasn’t on the agenda.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

So it seems as though The Basketball Classic is having trouble getting 32 teams. 2 have declined so far. 12 accepted. If we don’t get invited to this it will be insult to injury. Whether we accept the invite is anyones guess.  

1 hour ago, 1975 said:

It’s a garbage format. The chairwoman of the NCAAW selection committee was going on about fighting for “equity” between what the men and women receive during their respective tournaments, but apparently “competitive fairness” within their own tournament wasn’t on the agenda.

The Women's NCAA Tournament is definitely setup to benefit the Top 8 programs each year, any team outside that bubble to get to the end really has to take the hard road. On this flip side, I think they are doing it to help progress the Women's game by having "Known Entities" playing in the big televised games to showcase the best players.

On the Men's side, half the fun is walking UB beat Arizona, that's really what attracts most casual fans. Most people watch the first round or two. College basketball fans watch the final 4 and championship game, but the people in my office that are eating a buffet in the conference room want a team with a nun rooting for them or some great backstory win and not Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc.

It's just a different setup for different reasons, but most of us on this board will watch anything because we love the game. I've been know to watch cornhole, axe throwing, darts and spikeball on TV (my wife thinks I should be in therapy), but I just enjoy competition.

Go Bulls!!🤘🏼🤘🏼

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

The Women's NCAA Tournament is definitely setup to benefit the Top 8 programs each year, any team outside that bubble to get to the end really has to take the hard road. On this flip side, I think they are doing it to help progress the Women's game by having "Known Entities" playing in the big televised games to showcase the best players.

On the Men's side, half the fun is walking UB beat Arizona, that's really what attracts most casual fans. Most people watch the first round or two. College basketball fans watch the final 4 and championship game, but the people in my office that are eating a buffet in the conference room want a team with a nun rooting for them or some great backstory win and not Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc.

It's just a different setup for different reasons, but most of us on this board will watch anything because we love the game. I've been know to watch cornhole, axe throwing, darts and spikeball on TV (my wife thinks I should be in therapy), but I just enjoy competition.

Go Bulls!!🤘🏼🤘🏼

Fans do not travel as much for women's basketball as they do for the men.  So that they are not playing in empty arenas the top four seeds in each bracket host the first two rounds.  Pick any 2 four team groupings and how many would travel for the first two rounds to Buffalo (although the first games on Thursday and Friday can be ghosts towns, but they fill up by the second half of the opening games.

What they women did get correctly is the first four.  Those games are being played where the winner will play in the first and second rounds.  If you are in the 16-16 that first four game will be played at the one seed.  It is better than the men who have to fly into Dayton and then to their next game.  Think Arizona State in 2019.  The flew from Tempe to Dayton.  They then had to fly to Tulsa.  Imagine what the travel would have been if they had their next game on the west coast?  Doing what the women do would give them a slightly better shot at winning their next game.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Go Bulls!!🤘🏼🤘🏼

I believe you are right about the NCAAW motivation for home games being awarded to the top teams in the early rounds. But I find this method to promote interest in their game pretty sleazy and pathetic. If you have to “cheat” to sell your product what does that say about not only the product, but about you?

2 minutes ago, 1975 said:

I believe you are right about the NCAAW motivation for home games being awarded to the top teams in the early rounds. But I find this method to promote interest in their game pretty sleazy and pathetic. If you have to “cheat” to sell your product what does that say about not only the product, but about you?

I don't disagree with your sentiments. It is nice to see that there are more than just UConn now. Play has elevated and the numbers of quality players spread around to more programs is encouraging. It's never good if one school loses 3-4 games over a 4 year period and win by 30+ every week even in tournament play.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I don't disagree with your sentiments. It is nice to see that there are more than just UConn now. Play has elevated and the numbers of quality players spread around to more programs is encouraging. It's never good if one school loses 3-4 games over a 4 year period and win by 30+ every week even in tournament play.

I am a big fan of the women’s game (and women’s sports in general, having coached ranked HS and college women’s rugby teams plus having an uber-jock daughter). Regardless, I honestly can’t recall the last time I watched an entire UCONN game. 

Edited by 1975

1 hour ago, 1975 said:

I am a big fan of the women’s game (and women’s sports in general, having coached ranked HS and college women’s rugby teams plus having an uber-jock daughter). Regardless, I honestly can’t recall the last time I watched an entire UCONN game. 

Last one I watched in full was in 2019 in the second round of the NCAAs.

4 hours ago, 1975 said:

Do you see ESPN just posted their top 25 players for the tournament and of course Fair was not in the top 25. Fair 4th in the nation in scoring and not even a mention. Just another indication all their attention is on the top teams and don’t give mid majors or lower conferences any press. Sad that it is all about the money they can generate. Go Bulls!!

16 minutes ago, John said:

Do you see ESPN just posted their top 25 players for the tournament and of course Fair was not in the top 25. Fair 4th in the nation in scoring and not even a mention. Just another indication all their attention is on the top teams and don’t give mid majors or lower conferences any press. Sad that it is all about the money they can generate. Go Bulls!!

What they are losing sight of that the mens tournament does very well is play up the underdog and the backstories, the top tier mid major players to see how their fair (pun intended) against Goliath. That captures the imagination of young fans, that could be them someday even if they aren’t on the super elite 8th grade AAU club. It provides that hope and spark, which is what pure athletics is supposed to be about. They need someone to start thinking that way and capture a bigger audience. 

• Like 1

Just now, UBinMD said:

What they are losing sight of that the mens tournament does very well is play up the underdog and the backstories, the top tier mid major players to see how their fair (pun intended) against Goliath. That captures the imagination of young fans, that could be them someday even if they aren’t on the super elite 8th grade AAU club. It provides that hope and spark, which is what pure athletics is supposed to be about. They need someone to start thinking that way and capture a bigger audience. 

Every time UB plays anywhere with announcers not familiar with UB, what do they talk about? Blue Collar, Hard Hats and coaches in mechanics shirts with their name on it. That’s branding my friends.

3 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Every time UB plays anywhere with announcers not familiar with UB, what do they talk about? Blue Collar, Hard Hats and coaches in mechanics shirts with their name on it. That’s branding my friends.

Now it would be nice to get back to that on the court 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, John said:

If Fair drops 30 on the Vols (or Woolley, for that matter), that should get someone’s attention. 🤘🤘