Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

MAC could be a dogfight

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 10:01 PM, UB92 said:

Akron is a weird school.  On one hand, it has one the best polymer science programs in the world.  Fantastic amounts of industrial-relevant innovations and research rolling out small companies.   

On the other hand, it offers Associates degree programs in many areas, kind of like a community college.  

So...those plants you refer to may be able to get into some programs at Akron, but not others...unless they were really smart plants.

I am Groot. 

So I’m watching the Purdue at Ohio game. Yes Purdue is at Ohio. How did they get a Big 10 team to play them at home? As part of an agreement the Ohio football team played Purdue on the road in ‘17 and the basketball teams agreed to a home (at Purdue in 18) and home (at Ohio in 19). Genius work by the AD if you ask me. Wonder if we have explored such agreements. If not, we should. 

21 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Wonder if we have explored such agreements. If not, we should. 

We should explore the agreement that if we beat a power conference team in their house, they return here the following year.

@Syracuse

@West Virginia

@DePaul

Also Toledo got destroyed by UMKC today.

9 hours ago, rma said:

We should explore the agreement that if we beat a power conference team in their house, they return here the following year.

@Syracuse

@West Virginia

@DePaul

Also Toledo got destroyed by UMKC today.

Agree. Any and all options should be explored. Even if it’s a 2 for 1. 2 games at your place and one at ours. Imagine a deal like that with a Big Ten team. They are very regional to us. 

22 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

So I’m watching the Purdue at Ohio game. Yes Purdue is at Ohio. How did they get a Big 10 team to play them at home? As part of an agreement the Ohio football team played Purdue on the road in ‘17 and the basketball teams agreed to a home (at Purdue in 18) and home (at Ohio in 19). Genius work by the AD if you ask me. Wonder if we have explored such agreements. If not, we should. 

No we shouldn’t.  

Ohio agreed to only take $550k for playing the football game in exchange for having a home and home basketball series. 

When the deal was struck the going rate for a MAC football team playing at a Big Ten school was $900k.  

These were other games played that season in the MAC. 

- Western Mich at USC $1.15M

- Akron at Penn State $1M

- Buffalo at Minnesota $900k

- Bowling Green at Michigan State $900k

- Ball State at Illinois $900k

- Ohio at Purdue $550k

11 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

No we shouldn’t.  

Ohio agreed to only take $550k for playing the football game in exchange for having a home and home basketball series. 

When the deal was struck the going rate for a MAC football team playing at a Big Ten school was $900k.  

These were other games played that season in the MAC. 

- Western Mich at USC $1.15M

- Akron at Penn State $1M

- Buffalo at Minnesota $900k

- Bowling Green at Michigan State $900k

- Ball State at Illinois $900k

- Ohio at Purdue $550k

They still got paid 550k though....and in exchange got a solid team to play them at home. I’d absolutely be fine with UB playing at a school like UCLA, Louisville, Maryland, etc for less money in exchange for a home and home basketball deal 

23 minutes ago, 961819 said:

They still got paid 550k though....and in exchange got a solid team to play them at home. I’d absolutely be fine with UB playing at a school like UCLA, Louisville, Maryland, etc for less money in exchange for a home and home basketball deal 

They gave up the $85k guarantee for the basketball game at Purdue and $350k in the guarantee for the football game. 

A home basketball game with Purdue is absolutely NOT worth $435k.

You can buy P5 teams for less than that.  LSU and Texas have recently been bought for $250k by VCU.  Those schools had to pay an additional $250k in the coaches buyout or they could opt out of that money and play at VCU.  Grand Canyon also bought Louisville for around $200k when they wanted to kick off being in D1.

Let's not forget that the football team is still struggling to make payments on the fieldhouse because the fundraising hasn't come through and is the whole reason the team has to play all of the guarantee games.  They can't afford to take less money.

22 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m not even thinking top P5 teams. I’m thinking teams like Penn St and Rutgers in basketball. Regional teams from P5 conferences. More can be done. More should be done for. But hell if we can’t beat Dartmouth and Army at home then why waste the money right?

The money is more valuable.

Maybe if the basketball team was looking at at-large bids year after year.  But to give up all that money doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

Ball State smoked Georgia Tech - not sure what that means

It means Tech is going to fire their coach at some point this season. They are a mess

On any night in the MAC any one can beat any one. It could be one of those MAC seasons where a few games over .500 gets a high seed.

Edited by DooleyBull06

36 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It means Tech is going to fire their coach at some point this season. They are a mess

On any night in the MAC any one can beat any one. It could be one of those MAC seasons where a few games over .500 gets a high seed.

Yeah, KenPom has the top six MAC schools separated by only 4 points.  That means the top-half of the conference is expected to be a tossup any time they play.  Also, with Bulls dropping in the ranking, we are only one spot above the team in the big game coming up.  Looking a lot tougher than expected at the start of the season...

There will be no givens the rest of the season.  A tough road. 

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Yeah, KenPom has the top six MAC schools separated by only 4 points.  That means the top-half of the conference is expected to be a tossup any time they play.  Also, with Bulls dropping in the ranking, we are only one spot above the team in the big game coming up.  Looking a lot tougher than expected at the start of the season...

There will be no givens the rest of the season.  A tough road. 

Agree. Our only easy game from this point on is this Saturday. We should beat Niagara. Should. The Bona game will be very difficult. They have turned a corner and are playing good basketball as they close out the non conference portion of the season. But I rather have it this way. If it all comes down to March then let’s have gut check game after cut check game during the regular season that way we grow and become battle tested for March. I rather peak in March than now.

MAC will be a dogfight.  I summarized the rankings of the top MAC teams (Barttorvik.com, Kenpom.com and Massey.com).  Based on an average of the three, we are ranked sixth in the MAC.  Akron is currently the top rated team in the MAC with an average ranking of 89, I guess based on fact that they have taken care of business in games against lesser opponents and played competitively against Louisville.  Buffalo's average rank is 130.  Based on the average ranking, here is a current estimate of our five toughest MAC games with toughest game first.  Of course this is strictly a statistical estimate based on current rankings - so take it for what it's worth:

@Akron - 1/28 - Project we will be 6 point underdogs

@Bowling Green - 3/6 - Project we will be 5 point underdogs

@Kent St - 2/22 - Project we will be 4 point underdogs

@Toledo - 2/15 - Project we will be 4 point underdogs

@Ball St - 1/7 - Project we will be 4 point underdogs

Buckle up it is going to be a grind! Let's hope we are up to the challenge!

54 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

@Akron - 1/28 - Project we will be 6 point underdogs

@Bowling Green - 3/6 - Project we will be 5 point underdogs

@Kent St - 2/22 - Project we will be 4 point underdogs

@Toledo - 2/15 - Project we will be 4 point underdogs

@Ball St - 1/7 - Project we will be 4 point underdogs

Buckle up it is going to be a grind! Let's hope we are up to the challenge!

I like that a lot of our “tougher” road games are later in the year when I feel/hope we will be playing better well rounded basketball.