Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB women vs Dayton tonight

John

Who’s going to tonight’s game? Heard an interview with Coach Jack on the Jerry Sullivan show today. A really nice interview on a number of topics that if anyone gets a chance should try to hear. A couple of the main comments: Summer is still out and with a knee injury and Coach Jack said it will probably be for the year and that she would redshirt and play next year. Christie is out with a leg injury and did not give a timetable for a return. Coach Jack commented that people should come out to see Fair and had positive comments on her as a player and a person. Another very positive and uplifting interview as Coach Jack seems to always give. Can only hope the Buffalo News can have more coverage of this team and have more fans call the sports editor to push for more coverage. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, John said:

Who’s going to tonight’s game? Heard an interview with Coach Jack on the Jerry Sullivan show today. A really nice interview on a number of topics that if anyone gets a chance should try to hear. A couple of the main comments: Summer is still out and with a knee injury and Coach Jack said it will probably be for the year and that she would redshirt and play next year. Christie is out with a leg injury and did not give a timetable for a return. Coach Jack commented that people should come out to see Fair and had positive comments on her as a player and a person. Another very positive and uplifting interview as Coach Jack seems to always give. Can only hope the Buffalo News can have more coverage of this team and have more fans call the sports editor to push for more coverage. Go Bulls!!!!

Summer red-shirting and returning would be an unexpected gift to the program. But she has to be a matriculated student and I would think that despite her injury she is on schedule with her coursework. Stay tuned, I guess. Too bad about Christie, it seems like she was beginning to get comfortable with her role. I hope she recovers quickly. I go to every game when I can. I'm the guy sitting next to the woman (my lovely wife) who screams "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" at the first crap call by an official (usually the female ref with the longish braids). My daughter and I secretly bet on the time elapsed before we hear wifey yell at the refs.

Edited by ubfan75
typo

This should be a good measuring stick game...Dayton is solid. They struggled mightily with Uconn and South Carolina but hung with Gonzaga. They also beat Toledo fairly easily and lost to CMU in OT by 1.

This is a game we still should win but it will no doubt be a hard fought game. 

1 hour ago, ubfan75 said:

Summer red-shirting and returning would be an unexpected gift to the program. But she has to be a matriculated student and I would think that despite her injury she is on schedule with her coursework. Stay tuned, I guess. Too bad about Christie, it seems like she was beginning to get comfortable with her role. I hope she recovers quickly. I go to every game when I can. I'm the guy sitting next to the woman (my lovely wife) who screams "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!" at the first crap call by an official (usually the female ref with the longish braids). My daughter and I secretly bet on the time elapsed before we hear wifey yell at the refs.

Great to see and hear some passionate fans. My brothers and I will be listening. We usually yell out “terrible call ref”. Hope we have a decent crowd tonight to cheer on and celebrate a victory. Go Bulls!!!!

35 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Solid win by the ladies. Game of runs but in the 4th we took over. Specifically with 6 minutes left we had a 5 point lead that we extended, putting the game out of reach. Just hope injuries don’t catch up to us. 

Exciting finish. I thought Dayton 3’s would kill us. Hannah looked like she suffered a hip strain after her collision (on a very iffy blocking foul call) but seemed to be ready to re-enter if needed in the last few minutes. Maybe biggest shot of game was the late FT that put us ahead by 7 points, 3 possessions, in the final half minute. 

Edited by ubfan75
Typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

I don’t understand why Gaba gets so much court time. She has no shot from anywhere. 

Gaba had a great game on the boards and on the defensive end. Her offensive game will come. She's 18 and still learning, but has already improved over the first half of the season. She will be a mainstay for the front line of this team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

usually the female ref with the longish braids

She's notoriously bad, though often both ways, and we seem to get her 3+ times a season.

25 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

She's 18 and still learning, but has already improved over the first half of the season.

During the exhibition, I thought she was one of the worst players on the court.  She either had a bad game then or she has gotten a lot better as she's been getting more minutes.  I think it's a little of both.  She played a huge role in this game on defense.

9 hours ago, rma said:

She's notoriously bad, though often both ways, and we seem to get her 3+ times a season.

During the exhibition, I thought she was one of the worst players on the court.  She either had a bad game then or she has gotten a lot better as she's been getting more minutes.  I think it's a little of both.  She played a huge role in this game on defense.

Gaba had several critical boards and blocked shots down the stretch. What she struggles with is shooting. When she receives a high pass she most often will put it on the floor - that negates her height advantage. And when she does keep the ball high, pivots and then shoots, far too many of those attempts are wildly off-target. I think with more work this sort of thing will be her bread-and-butter and she'll be good for 10 points a game. 

9 hours ago, rma said:

There are a handful of refs on both the men's and women's sides that are not just inept, but actually kill the game. I don't know their names (although I'm fairly certain that the worst ref for the women's game - the lady with the sometimes braided hair - is named Felicia) but I know them when I see them. 

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Gaba was big as mentioned on the glass and with the blocks. Remember she is also getting minutes bc Summer is gone and Christie is hurt. This team is on the younger side but has already showed much promise and chemistry. The men were at the game last night...they should take note. 

Do agree that Gaba has shown more overall awareness and seems like she has some decent moves around the basket and I think with more coaching and confidence with increased playing time along with getting in better playing shapes he could turn into a decent post player. Both Walters and Adeyeye give us a decent presence down low with their defense and rebounding and look more confident with their increased playing time. This coaching staff seems to making good decisions regarding the playing time of the above players along with Hamilton that should bode well once we get into MAC play. The word needs to get out that more fans should come to see Dyaisha Fair along with Theresa Onwuka play. We have not seen a freshman with the overall ability like Fair in a long time. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

This could be the shot of the year for the women this year.

Do agree!!! It was a great move to the basket. For the majority of the time Theresa has been under control and picks her spots when driving to the basket. Dayton seemed to be keying on her more in the 2nd half but she was very good on the defensive end and rebounding the entire game. Especially in the 4th quarter the entire team clamped down on defense again holding Dayton to 59 points. Like someone said that there were a number of UB men watching the game and hope they took some notes about playing defense. Go Bulls!!!!