Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jordan Hamilton - JUCO (FR)

DocCas86

• 7 months later...

Just following up on this player. Not a lot of rumblings on Jordan. Anyone know what’s going on with him. Any offers recently?

But I just peeped his stats from Three Rivers this season. Looks like a very raw shooter but has a lot of potential. Is in the top 50 JUCO freshman list. Long guard/wing type of play might be nice to have. I wonder if there is any interest in this player still with the new coaching staff, and wonder if Jordan still has interest?

What do we think?

IMG_7827.jpeg.a383ab8293c5c93fa9ba0a6ba437d5d9.jpeg

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Just following up on this player. Not a lot of rumblings on Jordan. Anyone know what’s going on with him. Any offers recently?

But I just peeped his stats from Three Rivers this season. Looks like a very raw shooter but has a lot of potential. Is in the top 50 JUCO freshman list. Long guard/wing type of play might be nice to have. I wonder if there is any interest in this player still with the new coaching staff, and wonder if Jordan still has interest?

What do we think?

IMG_7827.jpeg.a383ab8293c5c93fa9ba0a6ba437d5d9.jpeg

Might be worth a second look.

I am not sure why, but he missed most of the games in Jan/Feb/Mar.  He did start off the year really hot, especially from 3.

Nothing against Jordan, but I personally would like to see them go with some JR/SR transfers with three remaining scholarships.

2 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I am not sure why, but he missed most of the games in Jan/Feb/Mar.  He did start off the year really hot, especially from 3.

Nothing against Jordan, but I personally would like to see them go with some JR/SR transfers with three remaining scholarships.

May I ask why you would want a one year rental?

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

May I ask why you would want a one year rental?

I belive the team has built a foundation for the future. In my mind I see it as balancing the upcoming season with the longer term.  So I think it makes sense to focus on what gives the team it's best chance to win this coming year.  If the best choice is a senior, I would be ok with that but certainly each situation would have to be weighed short / long term against the other.  I would likely limit to one senior transfer, though.  Thank you for the question and would love your perspective, even if you disagree...as long as you do so respectfully. 😉

Edited by DocCas86

27 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I belive the team has built a foundation for the future. In my mind I see it as balancing the upcoming season with the longer term.  So I think it makes sense to focus on what gives the team it's best chance to win this coming year.  If the best choice is a senior, I would be ok with that but certainly each situation would have to be weighed short / long term against the other.  I would likely limit to one senior transfer, though.  Thank you for the question and would love your perspective.

I am enjoying the approach coach has taken. He is bringing all young players. Undoubtedly some will stick and others will transfer. But I feel this way he can grow and develop players. See who will buy in as he implements his style and philosophy. Perhaps he has tried to bring in transfers but his style is theoretical at this point. Right now he is an unknown. This is year one. Perhaps in year two he will look for more impact transfers. Each year is fluid. A coach who can build multiple ways will be a winner. But I think he’s off to a good start. Maybe bringing in a transfer, this season, might upset the younger players bc transfers will think they are automatic starters. Right now everything is up for grabs. Gotta earn it. A senior or grad transfer might not buy into that. I agree he is bringing in foundational pieces and hey I’m all for a transfer who will provide veteran leadership. But I’ve been burned in the Whitesell era by bringing in transfers and looking for the quick fix. I guess in summation I’m saying that I’m in it for the long haul with coach G. I’m willing to embrace a rebuild, even if it means being an 8 seed next year. So long as I see that foundation being built.

PS…I guess with that last sentence I am now on record as saying my expectations for next season are 8 seed or better. I don’t expect us to completely bottom out and be as bad as the bottom of the MAC. I can envision lumps and bruises early and growth and a run in mid/late February. Similar to the ladies this past season.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I am enjoying the approach coach has taken. He is bringing all young players. Undoubtedly some will stick and others will transfer. But I feel this way he can grow and develop players. See who will buy in as he implements his style and philosophy. Perhaps he has tried to bring in transfers but his style is theoretical at this point. Right now he is an unknown. This is year one. Perhaps in year two he will look for more impact transfers. Each year is fluid. A coach who can build multiple ways will be a winner. But I think he’s off to a good start. Maybe bringing in a transfer, this season, might upset the younger players bc transfers will think they are automatic starters. Right now everything is up for grabs. Gotta earn it. A senior or grad transfer might not buy into that. I agree he is bringing in foundational pieces and hey I’m all for a transfer who will provide veteran leadership. But I’ve been burned in the Whitesell era by bringing in transfers and looking for the quick fix. I guess in summation I’m saying that I’m in it for the long haul with coach G. I’m willing to embrace a rebuild, even if it means being an 8 seed next year. So long as I see that foundation being built.

PS…I guess with that last sentence I am now on record as saying my expectations for next season are 8 seed or better. I don’t expect us to completely bottom out and be as bad as the bottom of the MAC. I can envision lumps and bruises early and growth and a run in mid/late February. Similar to the ladies this past season.

Thank you for your perspective. 

One additional perspective I had.  Let me caveat, I have very limited ability to assess any of the young player's ability to be a starter this season.  Let's say coach decides he needs a starter for a certain position on this team.  Wouldn't you be happier as that FR player if the team brings in a one year rental, thus opening the starter's role sooner.  Worst case is they bring in a SO and you are competing every year for starting role.

• Like 1

Dooley and Doc both make great points, in my opinion.  Personally I think I'm in the middle.  I hadn't thought that a rental would disrupt team chemistry, but now agree that it certainly could.  While Whitesell didn't have luck going that route, Oats did... so it helps to be reminded that every situation is different.  Since I recently re-watched Moneyball, I'm thinking of the scene where the GM confronts David Justice about his role on the team.  Translating back to UB, I feel that some rentals can be recruited with the understanding that nothing is guaranteed, and they need to win the job.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Thank you for your perspective. 

One additional perspective I had.  Let me caveat, I have very limited ability to assess any of the young player's ability to be a starter this season.  Let's say coach decides he needs a starter for a certain position on this team.  Wouldn't you be happier as that FR player if the team brings in a one year rental, thus opening the starter's role sooner.  Worst case is they bring in a SO and you are competing every year for starting role.

It’s a good question. Ultimately I think these kids want to play right away. Increase their stock and transfer up. I love that nothing is given on this current roster. Even with the returning players. If they weren’t happy they could’ve left. But them staying is them saying I’m willing to work and earn my role. I agree with you and others when y’all say we need to recruit higher caliber players. But I feel that will happen in due time. Especially with success. And in today’s landscape no two off seasons are the same. 

You’re awesome when it comes to stats and info…what the composite or average rating for this current class? Aren’t a few of them 3 stars? Since when do we frown on that?

Well right now we have the same team as last year, minus Q, Curtis and Zid + Sy. None of the freshmen initially seem like they will be impactful in terms of scoring consistently, so we’ve lost a lot and gained a little. Some upperclassmen  to balance out the roster seems ideal, IMO. 

• Like 1

I would be nice for one of these freshman to win Freshman of the year. For that to happen there has to be a pathway to consistent playing time. At this juncture I rather develop a freshman than play a one year rental. Unless that one year rental will be the difference between us winning the conference. 

21 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It’s a good question. Ultimately I think these kids want to play right away. Increase their stock and transfer up. I love that nothing is given on this current roster. Even with the returning players. If they weren’t happy they could’ve left. But them staying is them saying I’m willing to work and earn my role. I agree with you and others when y’all say we need to recruit higher caliber players. But I feel that will happen in due time. Especially with success. And in today’s landscape no two off seasons are the same. 

You’re awesome when it comes to stats and info…what the composite or average rating for this current class? Aren’t a few of them 3 stars? Since when do we frown on that?

They may desire to play right away, but I feel there are a couple of positions where we don't have the starter.  They can earn the right to start, but I feel you have to bring in a player who you feel is ready day one and let the better player get the minutes.

It is easier to judge a player who has played at D1 level based on his stats vs a high school SR coming in and being given 3 stars.  I will need to wait and see what I see on the court to get perspective of their potential.  For now I have to trust GHIII is making right selections.   I expect when barttorvik gets these FR into their upcoming season projections, they won't have much in the way of expectations and it is likely they will be wrong about at least one.  I am sure no one expected as much as Jack contributed last year.   There have also been players with 3 stars that didn't pan out.  Using money ball example, everyone thought Billy Beane was a bona fide hall of famer....didnt happen.  

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

I just looked at the roster. Smith had no offensive game and is a junkyard dog style role player. Chatman didn’t play last season. Williamson barely played and was already redshirted. Jones barely played. And Adams could be our leading man going into next season. Aside from him I don’t think anyone is penciled in as a starter. I think it’s wide open. 

7 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I just looked at the roster. Smith had no offensive game and is a junkyard dog style role player. Chatman didn’t play last season. Williamson barely played and was already redshirted. Jones barely played. And Adams could be our leading man going into next season. Aside from him I don’t think anyone is penciled in as a starter. I think it’s wide open. 

Now I'm nervous that freshmen aren't ready, and leaning slightly back toward rentals.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Well then let me ask you, what is your expectation for next season?

Haha, guess I walked in to that one, huh?  I have nearly zero expectations for next year (not to be confused with my desires).  I want to build for the future.  Being reminded of how recent first year players did was ugly.  I won't be happy if they don't make the playoffs.  I guess I feel rentals are useful for more than just wins.  Even if wins don't come, he right ones can also help build culture for future years.

2 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Haha, guess I walked in to that one, huh?  I have nearly zero expectations for next year (not to be confused with my desires).  I want to build for the future.  Being reminded of how recent first year players did was ugly.  I won't be happy if they don't make the playoffs.  I guess I feel rentals are useful for more than just wins.  Even if wins don't come, the right ones can also help build culture for future years.

This is an interesting perspective.  I will say that I am not thinking we get a one year rental and win the MAC.  However I do think you have to remain relevant in the MAC, which to me you have to make it to Cleveland.  For that I feel we still need some veteran transfers.

P.S.  I would like to add it is nice to be talking about the team in this way

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Haha, guess I walked in to that one, huh?  I have nearly zero expectations for next year (not to be confused with my desires).  I want to build for the future.

The right ones can also help build culture for future years.

I agree with both these statements. I don’t expect to be top 4 in the conference next season. Of course winning is also my desire. I think with the current 10 guys we have and some actual coaching and player development we can be in the middle of the MAC pack. Which in year one of a rookie HC with great roster turnover is very respectable. So long as we show that improvement as the season goes on. 

• Like 1

I think many forget that you can get a transfer with multiple years to play (that isn’t as easy to transfer out). Q had 3 years here, Mballa I believe did as well. You can get impactful players from the portal that aren’t 1 year rentals is all I’m saying. We need guys who can be impactful not just this upcoming year but the following one as well until these young guys can develop more. I don’t mind a rebuild. I just don’t want to be dead last and not competitive either. Last year we got beaten badly by the top teams and that was with guys like Curtis, Q and others here. 

1 minute ago, DaBulls99 said:

I think many forget that you can get a transfer with multiple years to play (that isn’t as easy to transfer out). Q had 3 years here, Mballa I believe did as well. You can get impactful players from the portal that aren’t 1 year rentals is all I’m saying. We need guys who can be impactful not just this upcoming year but the following one as well until these young guys can develop more. I don’t mind a rebuild. I just don’t want to be dead last and not competitive either. Last year we got beaten badly by the top teams and that was with guys like Curtis, Q and others here. 

Perfect example is Fulcher. Juco transfer with 3 years left. To your comment about being dead last or not competitive…as constituted now, are we better than the Michigan directionals, BG, NIU and Miami?  

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Perfect example is Fulcher. Juco transfer with 3 years left. To your comment about being dead last or not competitive…as constituted now, are we better than the Michigan directionals, BG, NIU and Miami?  

I say with the proper coaches and scheme, we are Top 6 with our current group. I am usually optimistic, but I feel we have good bones and I think this coaching staff has a plan and a system. I am ready to see it.

• Like 1