Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Akron @ UB - 1/31/23 7:00 pm - ESPN+

Bluebird96

25 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Everyone covered most everything, mostly bad. Only thing I can add is this: we sit courtside at the end where UB warms up and my buddy and I both had the same observation. For the last half of warmups, UB attempted flashy dunks, threw each other alley oops, didn't take any mid-range jumpers, floaters, etc. It looked like an all-star game warm-up. And sure enough we come out shooting ice cold and get put in an insurmountable hole by Akron's hot shooting. Let's just say Akron's warm-up looked very different from ours.

I'm trying not to pile on JW in every post but one of my biggest fears is that these kids lose focus on the team element the way the prior class did. JW seems to let the kids run their own show and it bit us in the a$$ with Segu, Mballa, and Jeenathan. I really hope we don't see the same with this class.

3 hours ago, Erie County said:

~$450k

This UB Bulls basketball head coaching salary is exactly why regardless if Jim Whitesell loses 20 games he is staying at UB until the end of the whole coaching contract like Reggie Witherspoon at Canisius College. Because they coach cheap that is the whole point. It isn’t just buying out Jim Whitesell to not coach UB. It is also having to hire a new UB basketball head coach while offering that low of a head coaching salary. UB athletic lost a lot of UB in person fan attendance during Covid-19 and the UB fans locally in Western New York didn’t comeback in the same numbers as before Covid-19 to UB Stadium and UB Alumni Arena. Those are real dollars gone from UB athletics. UB doesn’t have the same loyal fans base numbers wise like the St Bonaventure Bonnies in Western New York.

UB, UB athletics and UB alumni unfortunately isn’t comfortable for whatever reason with NIL. NIL like beer sales for years at UB Stadium and UB Alumni Arena is the new UB alumni and athletics department boogeyman for 2023. NIL terrifies UB athletics and UB alums like BSF UB posts on taboo subjects like that and what is the other side like? BSF parties with all four Big 4 basketball sides just win baby for Western New York college basketball. With NIL St Bonaventure Bonnies are more comfortable with selling like the Buffalo Bills Bonnies player jerseys, t-shirts and paying a Bonnies head basketball coach Mark Schmidt $1 million plus dollars that UB athletics just isn’t comfortable with that number.

The St Bonaventure Bonnies fans are fun and wonderful accepting basketball fans. They welcome me with open arms and it is a lot of fun as a Buffalo sports fan rooting for all four Big 4 basketball teams. The Bonnies are doing things the right way with NIL. UB will get there with NIL when the rest of the nation moved onto something else forward thinking. So BSF will it be like beer sales eventually UB will realize the fears are silly? That we have nothing to fear but fear itself? Yes UB will get there and say BSF was right again like he is most of the time. I think the truth what some of UB alums want for UB basketball is over in Buffalo Southtowns Allegany as the locals at St Bonaventure call it. The Bonnies basketball are everything we wished UB Bulls basketball would be. I think if some of the UB alums didn’t fight it just put on the brown and white it is liberating to have a wonderful choice like that in Buffalo. BSF has always been against monopolies and for competition and choice. This is one of the reasons why it is good to have choice. Buffalo and Western New York have been blessed having college basketball team choices. If I had just UB Bulls basketball with Jim Whitesell and Canisius Golden Griffins basketball with Reggie Witherspoon to root for I would pull my hair out. Thankfully I have the St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball also as a Buffalo college basketball fan. I have Bonnies basketball memories at the old Buffalo Memorial Auditorium that goes back further than UB Bulls basketball in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

4 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

NIL like beer sales for years at UB Stadium and UB Alumni Arena is the new UB alumni and athletics department boogeyman for 2023.

After the Baylor football game on a Friday night you came out against beer sales at UB games.  Prior to the game you were all for it.  Why the switch to beer sales again?  Please explain, especially since the sales seem to have little to no impact on ticket sales.

6 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

I think if some of the UB alums didn’t fight it just put on the brown and white it is liberating to have a wonderful choice like that in Buffalo.

lol!  I just had to repost this absurdity so all of the people who blocked you could see it.

• Haha 1

Over the past 20+ years I have attended nearly every men’s home game. The atmosphere inside the arena has often been electric. But as I get older (Class of ‘75 alum) I find myself making excuses for not going. Why? Like many in this group, I bristle that UB does not go all-in on the BB program, and I’m often disappointed in the poor showing by students. But in truth it’s also the cumulative effect of smaller things…frequent coinciding events at Center for Arts makes parking difficult, egress from campus is maddening thanks to Campus police, amenities in AA are poor (long lines for rest rooms and refreshments), and lastly, it’s time to dump this repetitive, irritating DJ concept… 

Edited by 1975
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 1975 said:

Over the past 20+ years I have attended nearly every men’s home game. The atmosphere inside the arena has often been electric. But as I get older (Class of ‘75 alum) I find myself making excuses for not going. Why? Like many in this group, I bristle that UB does not go all-in on the BB program, and I’m often disappointed in the poor showing by students. But in truth it’s also the cumulative effect of smaller things…frequent coinciding events at Center for Arts makes parking difficult, egress from campus is maddening thanks to Campus police, amenities in AA are poor (long lines for rest rooms and refreshments), and lastly, it’s time to dump this repetitive, irritating DJ concept… 

You might be class of 75 but this is not an “old man get off my lawn” take good sir. The onus for attendance falls on the students. We are a large public university, it should be an event to attend a game and go wild as a student. Agree we should unplug the DJ and get back to the pageantry of college athletics…band, cheerleaders, mascot and dance team. Chants from the crowd. Anyone see the Maryland game last night? During tv timeouts the band and students played off each other to single out players from the opposing team and the students would simple say, “you suck.” That’s funny and engaging to me while not being crazy offensive. The lack of amenities speaks to the lack of commitment from above. That had to change when we had our glory run. Has the time to upgrade or build anew passed? And finally…given the 450k salary and 300k buyout, we are def not gonna fire Whitesell and have two HCs on the books.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

And finally…given the 450k salary and 300k buyout, we are def not gonna fire Whitesell and have two HCs on the books.

If we can't afford a $300k buyout then we shouldn't be at this level. Jeff Boals makes $581k, Groce makes $650k, and their buyouts are double Whitesell's.

I've asked this for years but nobody ever seems to be able to answer it: Why are we the only school at this level that never seems to have any money? Everyone else is playing big-boy college athletics while we're constantly broke. Is it our lack of donors? SUNY funding? Our President's lack of commitment? What exactly is the reason we have no money for our athletic department?

6 minutes ago, clodney said:

If we can't afford a $300k buyout then we shouldn't be at this level. Jeff Boals makes $581k, Groce makes $650k, and their buyouts are double Whitesell's.

I've asked this for years but nobody ever seems to be able to answer it: Why are we the only school at this level that never seems to have any money? Everyone else is playing big-boy college athletics while we're constantly broke. Is it our lack of donors? SUNY funding? Our President's lack of commitment? What exactly is the reason we have no money for our athletic department?

I don’t know the finance situation and shy away from that topic but my best ignorant guess is all of the above

4 hours ago, 1975 said:

The food choices at concession are terrible. We know UB has some good kitchens with that new international pavilion. How about offering some of that?

4 hours ago, 1975 said:

My wife and I did not renew our season tickets after the 2019-2020 season. We had been season ticket holders for about 10 years, and rarely missed a men’s game. I sent an email to the powers - that - be explaining our reason for not renewing. It wasn’t Covid, parking, winter weather, a drop off in competitiveness…it was because of the inane, and relentless noise emanating from the guy who handles the PA duties. We’re both 73, and the music that the DJs play is not in our wheelhouse. But the ‘music’ paled in comparison to the main PA dude. Any break in the action - we couldn’t even hear each other talk, because he was shouting into the mic. He drained all the joy out of watching live basketball.

I don't think anyone in the MAC is rolling in cash right now.  Especially post-covid.  I recall hearing in the past couple years that Ohio U was looking at the amount they're spending to fund and subsidize sports.  Akron cut 23% from their athletics budget in 2020 (which included 3 sports), as part of a "budget bloodbath" where the school made further overall cuts past previous ones, eliminating 178 positions.  BG cut $2 million in 2020, which included their baseball team.  Did anyone else notice the crowd at Ball State last week?  It made the ones at Alumni over winter break/winter semester look good.  I tend to think that the problems UB has with all this are problems that most of their contemporaries are dealing with too.

I don't purchase concessions, so I can't speak to how good they are.  But I will say I've been impressed how well the arena has been taken care of and updated.  At least the concourses and lighting.  I agree with the people who say they could use bigger bathrooms - which is interesting since the capacity used to be bigger.

4 hours ago, clodney said:

Probably the same reason students don't come to games: no school spirit. UB doesn't produce a lot of wealthy alums with warm feelings for Bulls athletics. It's also SUNY's utter disregard for athletics too.

I've only read a spattering of comments in this thread but here are a few random comments:

• Dunks during warmup: I see no problem with his. It gets their energy out of their system. Other practice would be nice too.
  • Slow starts: Anybody notice that most of the missed baskets at the beginning of the game are long. I think these kids just have too much adrenaline.  See earlier comment.
  • Defense: I wish UB would play a closer defense like Akron did. Not a big fan of zone or switching off to give up wide-open threes.
  • Fast Breaks: UB only wins when they score (quickly) on fast breaks. Hard for them to drive the lane once the defense is setup.
  • Students: I think it was an excellent turnout by the students at the game. Many even stuck around until the end. Nice to see.
  • General Atmosphere: Great atmosphere at the start of the game (until it started to get away from UB). Nice to see the band, cheerleaders and dancers back.
  • Pyrotechnics pregame: Wimpy. I hope that equipment was rented.
  • Concession, in general: I've been going to the games for 20 years. I never buy anything from the (overpriced) concessions. What I do buy (sometimes) is a pop from the vending machine. Unless you have a kid, there is no need to buy anything from the concessions. I can go 2 hours without food.
  • Concession, food selection/quality. I don't even think concession has a grill. The hotdogs and sausages are either brought in cooked or "rolled" to death to be cooked.
  • PA Announcements:  Nane, and relentless noise? You do realize that everything what comes out of the PA Announcer is entirely scripted (except for the in-game announcements). It is all the promos he needs to read. Never does he add rambling thoughts. Yes, it can be loud. Yes, the DJ might be one rambling but that is not very often (and only added in the past few seasons).
Edited by bullsbball

8 hours ago, bullsbball said:

I've only read a spattering of comments in this thread but here are a few random comments:

• PA Announcements:  Nane, and relentless noise? You do realize that everything what comes out of the PA Announcer is entirely scripted (except for the in-game announcements). It is all the promos he needs to read. Never does he add rambling thoughts. Yes, it can be loud. Yes, the DJ might be one rambling but that is not very often (and only added in the past few seasons).

My criticism of the PA dude comes across as ‘ad hominem’. I wish I hadn’t put my beef as such. However, we are done with UB basketball because of noise unrelated to the game, the band, the cheering et al. 

10 hours ago, squire17 said:

My criticism of the PA dude comes across as ‘ad hominem’. I wish I hadn’t put my beef as such. However, we are done with UB basketball because of noise unrelated to the game, the band, the cheering et al. 

You could always root for the Griffs. You won't have any noise to deal with in that gym.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1