Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Women's Basketball Limps into February

dj_paige

First, I didn't watch or listen to the game. I'm still recovering from watching them in-person.

So, I was wondering why UB had 46 points in the paint on January 14th vs EMU and only 8 points in the paint today.

Last game, here are the stats of made vs attempts for points in the paint:

made atts
STONE,RE'SHAWNA 4 7
WINFIELD,ZAKIYAH 8 14
MASHAIRE,EMERITA 0 2
OGDEN,HATTIE 0 0
YOUNG,JAZMINE 3 6
SALMONS,KAYLA 3 3
PERKINS,LATRICE 3 3
BARON,BRIYANNA 0 1

Winfield was 8 of 14, Stone 4 of 7. The team was 21 of 36 in the paint overall.

By my count, UB was 21 of 36 in the paint, 1 of 3 outside the paint/inside the arc and 5 of 14 outside the arc.

Yesterday, the stats are:

made atts
STONE,RE'SHAWNA 1 2
WINFIELD,ZAKIYAH 3 11
MASHAIRE,EMERITA 0 1
OGDEN,HATTIE 0 1
YOUNG,JAZMINE 0 1

Winfield was only 3 of 11 in the paint and the others barely made it into the paint. The team shot 4 of 16 in the paint overall.

So for yesterdays game, UB was 4 of 16 in the paint, 1 of 2 outside the paint/inside the arc and 13 of 33 outside the arc.

So, in January, it was an inside game. Today, it was "flinging" up threes.

Was EMU playing zone?

7 hours ago, bullsbball said:

One win in (now) 11 games.

To put things in perspective, 6 of their 11 MAC losses have been by a combined total of 17 pts (2 by 1 pt, 2 by 3 pts, 1 by 4 and 1 by 5). As many have said throughout this rough stretch, this team never seems to quit despite all the well-chronicled challenges they’ve faced with lack of roster depth, youth, inexperience, time to gel as a team, lack of size, etc etc.

It’s disappointing that their efforts may not be enough to get the Bulls into the tournament unless they find a way to win their last 3, but we should remember what the expectations were when the season began. I think in the long term we’ll be just fine with Coach Burke. 🤘

Edited by Bluebird96

2 hours ago, bullsbball said:

First, I didn't watch or listen to the game. I'm still recovering from watching them in-person.

So, I was wondering why UB had 46 points in the paint on January 14th vs EMU and only 8 points in the paint today.

Last game, here are the stats of made vs attempts for points in the paint:

Winfield was 8 of 14, Stone 4 of 7. The team was 21 of 36 in the paint overall.

By my count, UB was 21 of 36 in the paint, 1 of 3 outside the paint/inside the arc and 5 of 14 outside the arc.

Yesterday, the stats are:

Winfield was only 3 of 11 in the paint and the others barely made it into the paint. The team shot 4 of 16 in the paint overall.

So for yesterdays game, UB was 4 of 16 in the paint, 1 of 2 outside the paint/inside the arc and 13 of 33 outside the arc.

So, in January, it was an inside game. Today, it was "flinging" up threes.

Was EMU playing zone?

Well, the UB starters’ (aside from Haddie) average height is around 5’8”. The EMU starters look to average 6’2” or so. Sometimes that matters. 

23 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

To put things in perspective, 6 of their 11 MAC losses have been by a combined total of 17 pts (2 by 1 pt, 2 by 3 pts, 1 by 4 and 1 by 5). 

Glass half full or half empty. Several of these games they were leading going into the 4 quarter.  They were outscored in the 4 quarter in 6 of these 10 games. Those games that aren't close are blowouts. Average loss in these 10 games is 10 points with three losses 18 points or more.

Considering most of this team is graduating, it would be hard to correlate any (even small) positives in this year's performance with next year's expectations.

As I've said before, the losses started piling up once the bench got shorter.

Sorry, I'm not on the Coach Burke bandwagon until she can get this team to win.

9 hours ago, bullsbball said:

Glass half full or half empty. Several of these games they were leading going into the 4 quarter.  They were outscored in the 4 quarter in 6 of these 10 games. Those games that aren't close are blowouts. Average loss in these 10 games is 10 points with three losses 18 points or more.

Considering most of this team is graduating, it would be hard to correlate any (even small) positives in this year's performance with next year's expectations.

As I've said before, the losses started piling up once the bench got shorter.

Sorry, I'm not on the Coach Burke bandwagon until she can get this team to win.

Let’s be honest, this season was a rag tag bunch of players put together like Survivor and hope they can play together. She got 2 really good D2 championship players and they have done well, but it took awhile for Stone to find herself and Winfield plays really hard but the shots have not been falling. She is a rebound machine. Having 1 returning player is not easy, not 100% how it all went down, whose fault it was, etc. but that’s what we had left. Jaz had a good season, but she was the 3-4 option at best on Coach Jacks team and now she was supposed to play 40 minutes and lead, tough transition. Perkins looked lost to start the season but she came on and was a decent player but not presence in the paint. Losing Johnson was huge, she was a leader and presence in the paint, some of the games likely would have been different if she had played. Mash sure will continue to improve, she’s only a sophomore so I think she will be good. Ogden needs to expand her game beyond standing at the 3 point line. She needs a mid range jumper and get tougher inside using her body. This will open up the outside game. Ellis is a wild card, hopefully you gets some specific training in the offseason and shows us more next year. We have 3 returners: Ogden, Ellis, Mashaire. We have 7 incoming freshman that have a lot of points, rebounds, wins championships. Hopefully it can gel together into a team. I would like to burn a couple scholarships to transfers with inside size and skill. I don’t see that with our current  recruiting class. I’m still team Burke so I’m hoping this offseason helps her get things turned around. Go Bulls!!🤘🏻🤘🏻

57 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Hopefully Ronni Nwora will be back next year.  AT 6'2", she would help inside.  From what I understand, Chellia Watson has the ability to be the best player in the MAC.  Will be good to have her available.  

You are correct, I forgot about Watson. She also knows Burke and her system from USC Upstate, so that should be a benefit. Not sure about Nwora, just kept hearing "personal reasons". Maybe it was an effort to preserve another year of eligibility while learning the system like a redshirt. I would still like another 1 or 2 ladies in the 6'2-6'3 range that want to play with their back to the basket, but I'm an inside guy, so I'm likely biased 🤣

1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

Not sure about Nwora, just kept hearing "personal reasons". Maybe it was an effort to preserve another year of eligibility while learning the system like a redshirt. 

I don't see Nwora even on the bench so I've written her off the team. Am I missing something? Nice to see (what I presume to be) Johnson and Watson still at the games.

UBBasketball.thumb.jpg.f6d037ef1cb0e0086d174cefebe2dbb5.jpg

4 hours ago, bullsbball said:

I don't see Nwora even on the bench so I've written her off the team. Am I missing something? Nice to see (what I presume to be) Johnson and Watson still at the games.

UBBasketball.thumb.jpg.f6d037ef1cb0e0086d174cefebe2dbb5.jpg

Yes, I see them both at the games and in the huddles, they seem to be engaged with their teammates.

13 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

At Hutchinson (Freshman): Averaging 6.6 minutes and 4.7 points per game.

Chanteese Craig - Hutchinson CC (bluedragonsports.com)

At Wabash Valley (Sophomore): Averaging 18 minutes and 11 points per game. 

https://www.wvcwarriorathletics.com/sports/wbkb/2022-23/bios/craig_chanteese_0269

Good shooting %, looks like she needs help at the FT line, got better Freshman to Sophmore year at least.

Rend Lake vs Wabash Valley on December 7th. Craig is #52 in red.

She's in the game at the following spots in the video:

12:00-16:26
24:39-32:30
50:34-56:40
1:11:56-1:23:08
1:29:06-1:31:30
1:47:42-1:52:08

19 minutes 2-4 FG, 3-8 FT, 4 rebounds, 1 Block, 7 points.

Looks like she'll only be as good as the guards getting her the ball in the post.  Rarely moves out of the paint.  She needs to be better at Free Throws. Clearly not going to be much help on offense on a fast break.

And here is one of her 3s:

When you're up by 60 near the end of the game, what the heck. Wouldn't expect her to be shooting 3s in a close game.

Edited by bullsbball

5 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Is BG resting a bunch of people…?

No, they're battling for seeding. 5 of their top 6 players in MP this season started. Don't know why Jocelyn Tate isn't playing this game (4th in points scored this season), but otherwise they're playing their normal players.

8 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

Nice to see a team with some fight in them regardless of the record. Congrats to the women’s team on the huge upset.

Wow, not just an upset but an absolute spanking of a top 3 MAC team on the road, no less. Bulls shot just under 70% and 10/16 from 3 where they really have picked it up lately. Still alive for a chance to go to Cleveland. With just a little better luck in all those close MAC losses UB could be ahead of the logjam of teams just ahead of them now. Win the last 2 at home and they should be in good shape. Go Bulls! 🤘