Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bulls vs Rockets

Chet

9 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Hardnett, Adams and Powell shooting 22/38. Everyone else is 2/22 including CuJo with 1/11.  Need our leading scorer to play much better than that.

Until further notice Jones shouldn’t be referred to as CuJo. While it is an awesome nickname he simple comes up small in big games.

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2023 at 1:17 PM, DocCas86 said:

Let me amend it a little.  The differential between offensive and defensive efficiency I believe is most predictive.  This will tell how well you do on average in your offensive possessions vs your opponent during their offensive possessions.  The differential is similar for top 3 (Kent +12.4, Akron +13.3 and Toledo +15.2), but favors Toledo slightly.  My theory which I need time to research is that being a better defensive team is a bit of an equalizer, as I think defense is more likely to be consistently there for the team in high pressure games like conference tournaments.  I will research when I get a chance.

So I pulled some data on the OE / DE for MAC regular season and MAC tournament results since 2010.  Here is table summarizing the stats on winner and loser of the championship game.

image.thumb.png.f29635f98930b6dcd3afabff61582038.png

Observations:

• The winner of every tournament since 2010 was one of the four highest differentials between OE and DE.  If the pattern holds for this year the winner will come from Toledo, Akron, Kent and Ohio.
  • The winner of the MAC tournament has a slightly worse average OE rank  than the loser (107.0 vs 109.0) and slightly higher DE rank than the loser (100.7 vs 101.6).  Not a huge differential,,  but perhaps a slight equalizer for Kent and Akron relative to Toledo #1 OE.

Edited by DocCas86
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 4:58 PM, clodney said:

Has this team improved? Arguably our best win of the season was the first game against Colgate. They definitely have talent but given JWs inability to build the last batch of players, I’m not expecting much progression with these guys. 

It's not a perfect metric by any means, but I like how Torvik plots a team's performance throughout the course of a season.  UB has been trending downward since basically the start of MAC play.

2 hours ago, UBlearns said:

It's not a perfect metric by any means, but I like how Torvik plots a team's performance throughout the course of a season.  UB has been trending downward since basically the start of MAC play.

What has hurt us and will continually hurt us is that we play in the MAC east. Which usually means playing Akron, Ohio and Kent twice a season. They are usually at the top of the conference pack. And this year we played Toledo twice. As we all know, under Whitesell our record versus those teams is atrocious. The regression of this team as the season has evolved is scary. That falls squarely on the coach. 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

What has hurt us and will continually hurt us is that we play in the MAC east. Which usually means playing Akron, Ohio and Kent twice a season. They are usually at the top of the conference pack. And this year we played Toledo twice. As we all know, under Whitesell our record versus those teams is atrocious. The regression of this team as the season has evolved is scary. That falls squarely on the coach. 

Can’t disagree at all, There is plenty of blame to go around. I have watched the coaches on timeouts and like all coaches seem to be drawing up  plays on their board!! Are the players not following the plays?? I believe this team overall has been overrated based on how athletic they looked. Bottom line the coaches are the ones that get the blame or fired. The players share as much blame as the coaches . It has been discussed all year about their inconsistency and not playing together as a group. For every good play that is made there is more bonehead plays made. Let’s bring in a more energetic and young coach trying to make his mark and for a few years with the right players have some successful years and then move on again. A total crapshoot if we can hit on both. With all that has happened with the transfer portal and the money grabs by both coaches and players the years of good mid-major teams is sadly in the rear view mirror.