Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

36 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

I cannot express how disappointing this is.  Our momentum is gone!  We don't pay enough and we cannot attract the coaches we want to the program.  This is a really sad day for our program.  As a fan I am so sad about the status of this program.   We give Whitesell an extension, then pay a fee to get him out of Town and then we cannot hire the candidates we covet.  This program is clearly not at the level we as fans had hoped it had become.  I am honestly crushed with this news.  I would have loved to have either Cohen or McCollem.    

In order to attract someone to coach here, there clearly needs to be a connection to our program or they need to be so far removed from coaching that they see it as an opportunity they cannot pass up.

At this point I would make the following calls to offer a potential coaching position and gauge their interest:

CJ Massinburg

Wes Clark

Turner Battle

These type of options would likely consider this an opportunity and would likely stay longer if they were to be hired here because of their history here.

if none of them are interested.  I would start with former NBA players looking to get into coaching:

Brian Scalabrine

Derek Fisher

These type of options would instantly boost recruiting.

This is such a disappointing day for our beloved program.  I hope Admin can find a suitable option.  At this point turn  over every stone and look into every option possible.  This hire is critical! 

Doesn't CJ and Clark have a somewhat successful overseas career? Plus TBT.

Although it could be a massive recruiting boost to have a D1 coach play in it.

Battle is no longer coaching. He is AD somewhere. 

Just now, Jeseph said:

If this is true I expect the HC position will be on indeed.com by lunch

I'm willing to throw my hat in the ring. I had a successful campaign with an 8th grade catholic league team in the late 90's and did pretty well for 4 seasons when my kids were 8-12. I'll send over my resume.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The other issue now becomes that we are the program that can't find a coach now that we have 3-4 candidate publicly saying no, makes any other candidates wonder why and then ADMA has the uncomfortable sell to the next guy that he's "Our Guy" even though he's 5th on the list at best!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, capencaper said:

At what point do we consider it a top priority to get out of our one-bid league? 

You know, I’ve put some thought into this. I know it’s a long shot, and I doubt that it happens, especially with the lack of attendance, and success recently, but a push to the ACC seems like the most realistic option. 

The B10 and SEC and killing the other three power conferences. FSU and Clemson are looking to move to the SEC. Seems like they’re going to lose ND to the B10. They lost out on expansion with UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston from the AAC.

Realistically to complete, they need to add three schools, but ideally five. I imagine Temple, USF, and Memphis would be first round additions. 

But if a second round of additions took place, if we got our shit together, which seems less likely now, could see that being us and Tulane? 

Unless I’m just being overly optimistic. 

I’d love to hear other opinions on this!

Edited by C1ubP1fanaticM7

Just now, C1ubP1fanaticM7 said:

You know, I’ve put some thought into this. I know it’s a long shot, and I doubt that it happens, especially with the lack of attendance, and success recently, but a push to the ACC seems like the most realistic option. 

The B10 and SEC and killing the other three power conferences. FSU and Clemson are looking to move to the SEC. Seems like they’re going to lose ND to the B10. They lost out on expansion with UCF, Cincinnati, and Houston from the AAC.

Realistically to complete, they need to add three schools, but ideally five. I imagine the first three would be Temple, USF, and Memphis would first round additions. 

But if a second round of additions took place, if we got our shit together, which seems less likely now, could see that being us and Tulane? 

Unless I’m just being overly optimistic. 

I’d love to hear other opinions on this!

Yikes, now seeing we were turned down by Calhoun. Never mind 😂

6 minutes ago, BasketBull said:

lol

Can we maybe entertain the idea that there is something about Mark Alnutt that is turning prospective coaches off from coming here?

Going back to my previous post about budget and politics. 

I'm going to add one more. There is something massive about to come out about the program.  Either sanctions, violations, etc. Maybe a move to a lower conference. 

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Saying the quiet part out loud

You can't tell me the school is an issue when a guy like Bobby hurley was comfortable coming here to win

That was a totally different time with an avid Athletic supporter President (Bill Greiner) heading up UB followed by Simpson with Dr. Greiner playing a role. Tripathi is an academien.

Edited by ButlerAlumDad
addition

5 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

I'm going to add one more. There is something massive about to come out about the program.  Either sanctions, violations, etc. Maybe a move to a lower conference. 

Sanctions and violations would be one thing, but a move to a lower conference would make no sense to me unless there's serious funding issues (and if that's the case - why spend an extra $100k on the Whitesell buyout?).  They've poured money into the football program and seem to have built stability there over the past few years.  There's no step-down for FBS football other than arguably C-USA, which would make zero sense given the MAC's better broadcasting deal and C-USA's leadership being a tire fire.  And nowhere in FCS really fits geographically; the closest is probably the CAA, but UB is far closer to most MAC schools than CAA schools.

Edited by UBlearns
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, UBlearns said:

Sanctions and violations would be one thing, but a move to a lower conference would make no sense to me unless there's serious funding issues (and if that's the case - why spend an extra $100k on the Whitesell buyout?).  They've poured money into the football program and seem to have built stability there over the past few years.  There's no step-down for FBS football other than arguably C-USA, which would make zero sense given C-USA's leadership is a tire fire.  And nowhere in FCS really fits geographically; the closest is probably the CAA, but UB is far closer to most MAC schools than CAA schools.

SUNY nuked Athletics before....

UB president very publicly quit because of SUNY politics.

Just now, Jeseph said:

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where a coaching search could go worse...

Seriously. Why are we getting rejected publicly? I haven't seen that happen anywhere but a high-major vacancy. No one cares about us nationally yet we're getting dunked on by candidates? Something is off. 

I have to assume the department is feeling some shock from this as well. How long does a re-group take? Do they have to start interviews again? How fast are they slinging out offers? Were these denials done days ago but we're just learning about them? How many offers can they realistically make?

This sucks.

• Like 1