Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Search 2023 Edition

Kevin

A lot of people probably know Hodgson better than me based on his popularity but would he make a good head coach? I know he recruits great and probably would be fun to see as a younger guy with young energy...

I just recall when Oats left most people were concerned that he was much more of a recruiter.

That being said, if he can bring in great players. That isnt nothing. Also hes been around success pretty much his whole career between UB and Bama under Oats. He's seen what works and probably has taken a lot from Nate.

Just now, xDerekRx said:

A lot of people probably know Hodgson better than me based on his popularity but would he make a good head coach? I know he recruits great and probably would be fun to see as a younger guy with young energy...

I just recall when Oats left most people were concerned that he was much more of a recruiter.

He proved he coach recruit the top players in the world. 

He's learned how to build rosters and manage the UB alumni team that won it all. 

He can get a basketball guy for his staff just like Oats did. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

He proved he coach recruit the top players in the world. 

He's learned how to build rosters and manage the UB alumni team that won it all. 

He can get a basketball guy for his staff just like Oats did. 

For those reasons I do like him as an option and a hire. It would be fun to see what he could do here as a head of the program.

Was there any bad blood between him and the school from his "interview" before he followed Nate?

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

For those reasons I do like him as an option and a hire. It would be fun to see what he could do here as a head of the program.

Was there any bad blood between him and the school from his "interview" before he followed Nate?

Nah, I really dont believe so. I think he just knew that Jim would get the job. 

Don’t forget Hodgson is a WNY guy. Huge Bills fan and does charitable work in the area. Comes back here regularly if you follow him on social media. You can’t expect anybody to stick around UB if you find success, but identifying a guy with firm roots in the area can’t hurt.

From the BN article on JW's firing:

Carlin Hartman (50), an assistant at Florida and a Grand Island High School graduate

Adam Cohen (~36), an assistant at Xavier and a Williamsville North graduate

Bryan Hodgson (36), former UB assistant and Jamestown High graduate who is now an assistant at Alabama

Baker Dunleavy (40), Quinnipiac head coach

Speedy Claxton (44), Hofstra head coach

Other names of interest:

Mike Mennenga (~53), Oregon assistant and former UB assistant

Matt Langel (45), Colgate head coach

Dave Smart (57), mentioned on the coaching insider podcast that broke the JW news last night as a "Canadian savant" and their choice

Jeff Boals, Ohio head coach

• Thanks 1

Cohen is my first choice by a mile. He's a coaching prodigy and a super impressive young guy. Got his start hand-writing letters to coaches while still at Williamsville North. Transferred to UB after a short D3 career at Hobart and was a manager for the 2005 MACT heartbreaker. Connected with Josh Pastner at Arizona and has grinded for a decade and a half with stops including Rice, Harvard, Stanford, and now Xavier where he is Sean Miller's associate head coach.

He's regarded as an X's and O's guy and basketball junkie. But he's also credited with recruiting Tyrell Terry, Ziaire Williams, and Harrison Bryant to Stanford, so he's swam with the big fish. He had to recruit to Harvard and Stanford where academic and culture fits are a challenge, and I want UBMBB to head toward a more cerebral brand of play with more 4-year guys.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/cohen-s-dedication-to-his-dream-began-early/article_d9be45f0-67d7-5e09-9b7a-1a326e1f1352.html

The short podcast below is a good intro. Mentions he's a massive Bills fan and apologizes to Cinci fans in advance. He seems like the perfect balance of a high ceiling hire who is likely destined to be a high-major coach someday, but one whose local ties leave the possibility of a 5-8 year run here.

Edited by MuchMany
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Obvious coach Hodgson is on the list. The donors want him.

I know him and like him as a person and am a donor.  My answer is no.  I would not want anyone associated in any with Alabama basketball this season.  If Alabama was in the middle of the pack of the SEC this year, I think they would have cleaned house already.  The only reason they did not is because they have a shot to win it all.  As time goes on the fallout could go from the president, to the AD to the entire staff.  Think Binghamton.  They had their scandal with a crime and all those people lost their jobs.

Edited by BrooklynBull
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea why anyone thinks that connections to the Buffalo area should play at all in a selection, for this or any other opening.  If you want a young up and comer and they do well they will be poached.  Somebody will put a number on a piece of paper and they will be off to Lincoln, Norman or Corvallis. If you want a coach who is going to finish out their career in Buffalo, be from the area will not make a difference.

Personally my choice would be Becky Hammon.  She wants to be a head coach in the NBA.  To help her reach her dream, she needs to show that she can coach men.  Why not show everyone that she can at UB?  Not to mention the amount of free publicity such a hire would create for UB.

18 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Cohen is my first choice by a mile. He's a coaching prodigy and a super impressive young guy. Got his start hand-writing letters to coaches while still at Williamsville North. Transferred to UB after a short D3 career at Hobart and was a manager for the 2005 MACT heartbreaker. Connected with Josh Pastner at Arizona and has grinded for a decade and a half with stops including Rice, Harvard, Stanford, and now Xavier where he is Sean Miller's associate head coach.

He's regarded as an X's and O's guy and basketball junkie. But he's also credited with recruiting Tyrell Terry, Ziaire Williams, and Harrison Bryant to Stanford, so he's swam with the big fish. He had to recruit to Harvard and Stanford where academic and culture fits are a challenge, and I want UBMBB to head toward a more cerebral brand of play with more 4-year guys.

https://buffalonews.com/sports/college/cohen-s-dedication-to-his-dream-began-early/article_d9be45f0-67d7-5e09-9b7a-1a326e1f1352.html

The short podcast below is a good intro. Mentions he's a massive Bills fan and apologizes to Cinci fans in advance. He seems like the perfect balance of a high ceiling hire who is likely destined to be a high-major coach someday, but one whose local ties leave the possibility of a 5-8 year run here.

Very impressive resume. Would like this hire a lot too. 

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I have no idea why anyone thinks that connections to the Buffalo area should play at all in a selection, for this or any other opening.  If you want a young up and comer and they do well they will be poached.  Somebody will put a number on a piece of paper and they will be off to Lincoln, Norman or Corvallis. If you want a coach who is going to finish out their career in Buffalo, be from the area will not make a difference.

Personally my choice would be Becky Hammon.  She wants to be a head coach in the NBA.  To help her reach her dream, she needs to show that she can coach men.  Why not show everyone that she can at UB?  Not to mention the amount of free publicity such a hire would create for UB.

Don't think anyone is talking about a successful coach finishing his career here, but connections to Buffalo could absolutely be the difference between a guy staying here two years and five years. In college sports that's an extra lifetime.

And I'm not sure if you're going for a Skip and Shannon-esque take, but Becky Hammon, professional basketball coach and NBA darling, is never, ever coming to coach mid-major college basketball in Buffalo, NY.

• Like 2

All I will say is this, I touched on it in another post…seems like we are taking a dip in the deep end of the pool in regards to possible candidates. I like that. Let’s get someone with big ambition and drive. Who is in touch with modern athletes and the landscape of college sports. Go Bulls! 

2 hours ago, rma said:

wat

Just a little easter egg to keep things light around here lol (and to see if anyone actually reads my posts to the end). Seriously though in a not-too-distant alternate reality, UB should be able to poach coaches from community colleges in Ohio.

Edited by MuchMany
  • Haha 3

Half want Hodgson to get it because if he does well we're back to running the MAC. If he doesn't then I don't have to hear about how he would have been the better hire.

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Anyone have any idea what Hodgson’s salary is at Alabama?

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Anyone have any idea what Hodgson’s salary is at Alabama? Is it possibly more than what Buffalo would be willing to offer?

$425k. Reality is he will probably have to take a paycut whenever he starts his head coaching career because it will probably be at a mid-major. How close we can get to matching that while also buying out Whitesell I have no idea

56 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

From the BN article on JW's firing:

Carlin Hartman (50), an assistant at Florida and a Grand Island High School graduate

Adam Cohen (~36), an assistant at Xavier and a Williamsville North graduate

Bryan Hodgson (36), former UB assistant and Jamestown High graduate who is now an assistant at Alabama

Baker Dunleavy (40), Quinnipiac head coach

Speedy Claxton (44), Hofstra head coach

Other names of interest:

Mike Mennenga (~53), Oregon assistant and former UB assistant

Matt Langel (45), Colgate head coach

Dave Smart (57), mentioned on the coaching insider podcast that broke the JW news last night as a "Canadian savant" and their choice

Jeff Boals, Ohio head coach

Speedy claxton from Hofstra is an interesting name, wouldn't that be a lateral move? 

Still surprised Carlin Hartman has yet to have his shot at a head coach somewhere 

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

$425k. Reality is he will probably have to take a paycut whenever he starts his head coaching career because it will probably be at a mid-major. How close we can get to matching that while also buying out Whitesell I have no idea

The buyout of whitesell and how quickly he was let go, leads me to believe the target is a coach recently fired themselves

Allows the school to structure a contract that can benefit both the coach and the school

25 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Buffalo connections obviously matter for recruiting purposes. Also they obviously matter for the getting the best caliber candidate at the salary we can offer.

Becky Hammon coached men under Greg Popovich. Nobody is hiring her in the NBA because she coached teenagers at the University at Buffalo LOL