Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Roster

Just found out that a player can not enter themselves into the transfer portal. They must do it through the school's compliance officer. And the school must enter their names within 2 days of the request. 

I assume schools enter the request ASAP and don't "stall" the 2 days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Losing players to Monmouth, not sure that's a huge loss. No disrespect to Mr. Rice.

Rice played at Bucknell and according to their website his father is King Rice who played at UNC and is currently Monmouth’s HC. So I’m guessing he probably wasn’t coming to UB anyway.

6 minutes ago, Bluebird96 said:

Rice played at Bucknell and according to their website his father is King Rice who played at UNC and is currently Monmouth’s HC. So I’m guessing he probably wasn’t coming to UB anyway.

Not if he likes his dad.

4 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

I sent them a message about it a few weeks ago. I'm not too hot on their redesign. 

Star ratings will be repopulated over the course of the year. Primary focus was launching the redesign. We will be departing from the old system where every non-ranked player was rated 2*.

-Nathan, VC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, clodney said:

If the coach is McCollum then I see Jack becoming a MONSTER player in that system.

Jack is a goner if McCollum is the coach. His whole system is predicated on creating space with pick and pop bigs and athletic cutters. Jack isn't either of those. He'll be a fine player somewhere but it wouldn't be at UB under McCollum

Edit: i.e. last year their tallest rotation players were 6'7" and 6'6", they attempted 7.9 and 4.1 3-pointers per 40 minutes respectively. Jack attempted 0 all season and shot 57.1% from the free throw line

Edited by trueblue32

25 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Jack is a goner if McCollum is the coach. His whole system is predicated on creating space with pick and pop bigs and athletic cutters. Jack isn't either of those. He'll be a fine player somewhere but it wouldn't be at UB under McCollum

Edit: i.e. last year their tallest rotation players were 6'7" and 6'6", they attempted 7.9 and 4.1 3-pointers per 40 minutes respectively. Jack attempted 0 all season and shot 57.1% from the free throw line

I tell you this much…he isn’t gonna survive D1 with the tallest player being 6’7. I’m sure he will adjust. And usually the difference between D1 and D2 is height and speed but we need taller than 6’7

19 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I tell you this much…he isn’t gonna survive D1 with the tallest player being 6’7. I’m sure he will adjust. And usually the difference between D1 and D2 is height and speed but we need taller than 6’7

Houston, Miami, Penn state, and Missouri are some notable tourney teams who get essentially no minutes from anyone over 6'8". Nick Perkins was pretty good at 6'8". Quibbling about a matter of inches on listed heights wasn't my main point. The point is that he values skill over being a big body. Recruiting in the D1 pool maybe it ends up being 6'8" and 6'9" guys, but he's not going to completely change his system to retain Isaac Jack.

Edited by trueblue32

31 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Houston, Miami, Penn state, and Missouri are some notable tourney teams who get essentially no minutes from anyone over 6'8". Nick Perkins was pretty good at 6'8". Quibbling about a matter of inches on listed heights wasn't my main point. The point is that he values skill over being a big body. Recruiting in the D1 pool maybe it ends up being 6'8" and 6'9" guys, but he's not going to completely change his system to retain Isaac Jack.

Length and athleticism is more important than height…agreed.

26 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

I'm no basketball expert but I can't imagine not having a single big on your roster at the D1 level and although Jack struggled on the defensive end, he appeared highly efficient on the offensive side of the ball. I thought efficiency was the biggest deal in McCollum's offense.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Length and athleticism is more important than height…agreed.

Am I missing something? I thought Jack had length and athleticism and was highly efficient with the ball down low. He just sucked at keeping players in front of him defensively and ended up reaching in for fouls. I will admit though, I spaced out for most of the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, clodney said:

I'm no basketball expert but I can't imagine not having a single big on your roster at the D1 level and although Jack struggled on the defensive end, he appeared highly efficient on the offensive side of the ball. I thought efficiency was the biggest deal in McCollum's offense.

Efficiency isn’t a scheme or a roster building strategy. Efficiency is the goal of all offensive schemes, McCollum just runs one of the best offenses in the country. It’s predicated on spacing the defense, this is done via “gravity”, making defenders stick to their man. They have to do this if they’re worried about you making a shot or cutting to get a shot when they help off. McCollum’s offenses largely force this via pick and pops off of ball screens, it’s not the only way to run offense, but it’s the way he runs his. Ball screens are a lot less dangerous if there is no pop threat, which Jack doesn’t present. He doesn’t have the skill to shoot or make a play off the bounce in a pop scenario. He does have good hands and finishes pretty well and he has a strong motor on the offensive glass. I’m not saying he’s a bad player but he just doesn’t really fit the mold of what McCollum does.

I’ll also say playing a big man out of fear of the opposing team’s big man was a microcosm of what drove me nuts about Whitesell. Some coaches force mismatches and will make you match up with them. Other coaches will acquiesce and match up with the opponent. I felt Whitesell fell in category #2. I feel McCollum is in category #1. Oats was in category #1. Famously he saw DeAndre Ayton and Dusan Ristic and met that with Jeremy Harris (as opposed to leaning on more two big lineups with Perkins/McRae/Smart) who cooked them offensively. Then on the defensive end he schemed to help Harris with Clark/Jordan/Caruthers cheating off their men to help over the top on entry passes and dig down when Ayton put the ball on the floor.

Edited by trueblue32
  • Like 1