Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Womens Hoops Roster

Jeseph

1 hour ago, Ubball said:

Now THIS is quite the conspiracy, come on man 

Who are we to trust? Random AAU coaches and former players who quit on their team midseason sending ominous messages on twitter? Or perhaps we should look to the person who joined ubfan 36 hours ago and has 8 total posts? 

This is a Buffalo fan message board. Absolutely nothing has come out yet in the details that indicates our coach did anything wrong (despite the obvious strange circumstances) so why wouldn't we stand by her at this point and suggest someone else must've done something wrong? It's all hearsay at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, clodney said:

Who are we to trust? Random AAU coaches and former players who quit on their team midseason sending ominous messages on twitter? Or perhaps we should look to the person who joined ubfan 36 hours ago and has 8 total posts? 

This is a Buffalo fan message board. Absolutely nothing has come out yet in the details that indicates our coach did anything wrong (despite the obvious strange circumstances) so why wouldn't we stand by her at this point and suggest someone else must've done something wrong? It's all hearsay at this point.

Agree 100%.  Unless our AD and President report something, some parents, past players and AAU coaches commenting on social media when they know Coach Burke cannot comment / reply back is sad. 

BTW, I really like the new players she added, actually look on paper better than the 5 that reneged on their NLI.

If I recall, we also had a football player quit during the season, and enter transfer portal.  The way of life in 2023.

Edited by Sportsfan

8 hours ago, clodney said:

Do not want to throw anyone under the bus, I think we need more information, but I believe in Occam's razor, when you hear hoofbeats do not think zebras.

9 hours ago, clodney said:

I don’t know…it looks pretty awful from a UB fan perspective too.

FLJ leaves, half the team goes in the portal. BB comes in and 90% of the remaining team leaves, is asked to leave, etc. Okay fine, that’s the state of college athletics now, sucks but what can you do.

During the season one coach mysteriously disappears. Then a player leaves the team. Then another assistant leaves. Bulls finish the season running a one deep bench, partially due to an injury, and pull a volleyball player in to add depth. 

After the season ends, the DOBO gets promoted to assistant and the one remaining assistant leaves. Things start to look fishy…

The player that left posted on Instagram “Nobody wants to cry in an environment that punishes you for showing emotion.” This is only a few years after we received national attention for Hanna Hall and her positive recovery from mental health issues through UB basketball.

And now the mess of 5 players wanting out of their NLI, their names being scrubbed from the NLI announcement. Of the few remaining players eligible to return, at least 2 are in the portal or left the team. 

Players and coaches that have left the team have posted the following messages on social media:

“Players will forget what we taught them but they will never forget how we made them feel.”

“What goes around comes around…
#treatpeoplewithkindness”

Any of these by themselves don’t really make it seem too bad, but you combine this with the Ball State handshake incident, the turnover from BB’s old teams, it starts to paint a picture that doesn’t look too good for Burke or how she runs a program. I would love to be told I’m off base and be disproven but with no horse in the race except success of the program, it looks awful right now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rma said:

FLJ leaves, half the team goes in the portal. BB comes in and 90% of the remaining team leaves, is asked to leave, etc. Okay fine, that’s the state of college athletics now, sucks but what can you do.

During the season one coach mysteriously disappears. Then a player leaves the team. Then another assistant leaves. Bulls finish the season running a one deep bench, partially due to an injury, and pull a volleyball player in to add depth. 

After the season ends, the DOBO gets promoted to assistant and the one remaining assistant leaves. Things start to look fishy…

The player that left posted on Instagram “Nobody wants to cry in an environment that punishes you for showing emotion.” This is only a few years after we received national attention for Hanna Hall and her positive recovery from mental health issues through UB basketball.

And now the mess of 5 players wanting out of their NLI, their names being scrubbed from the NLI announcement. Of the few remaining players eligible to return, at least 2 are in the portal or left the team. 

Players and coaches that have left the team have posted the following messages on social media:

“Players will forget what we taught them but they will never forget how we made them feel.”

Any of these by themselves don’t really make it seem too bad, but you combine this with the Ball State handshake incident, the turnover from BB’s old teams, it starts to paint a picture that doesn’t look too good for Burke or how she runs a program. I would love to be told I’m off base and be disproven but with no horse in the race except success of the program, it looks awful right now. 

That's a fair and unbiased opinion based upon the facts as we know them. I cannot dispute them and that has been my concern to this point, no single item, but take as a whole in just over a 12 month stretch, it makes you wonder.

20 minutes ago, rma said:

Well said. You saved me the typing.

Add to this twice during a game BB points at a player and yells at the top of her lungs from 15 feet away to scold a player.  There is a way to coach without being nasty.

I guess the proof will be in the next 6 months. If we start to see other departures, then it couldn't have been the fault of the previous assistant coaches (as some conspiracy theories are trying to say).

Edited by bullsbball

From Timberlynn Yeast's father, makes me feel a bit better, seems to be open and honest. Here is an article from YourSportsEdge.com (No I am not a subscriber 🤣)

About eight months ago Timberlynn Yeast thought she had the perfect college basketball fit when she verbally committed to Buffalo. Since then, a lot has happened. First, Yeast tore two ligaments in her left knee just before her senior season at Mercer County was ready to start and just a few weeks after she officially signed with Buffalo and first-year coach Becky Burke.

She was a Miss Basketball candidate and one of the state’s top players but missed her entire senior season and likely will also miss the entire track season — she is also one of the state’s elite sprinters. Now, Yeast is looking for another place to play her college basketball after asking for her release for Buffalo and receiving it.

Her father, Terry Yeast, said it was a “bunch” of things that led to her change of heart about Buffalo including four other players in the freshman signing class also deciding they will not play at Buffalo next season. One of those players is Ella Weaver, Yeast’s teammate on the West Virginia Thunder during AAU play.

Yeast averaged 20.9 points and 8.4 rebounds per game as a junior while shooting 52 percent overall from the field and 66 percent at the foul line (she got to the foul line 263 times in 31 games). Despite not playing as a senior, she played in 134 games and finished with over 2,100 points and 1,000 rebounds along with 408 assists, 337 steals and 79 blocks. She was a career 53 percent shooter overall from the field.

“You are talking about sending your 18 year old nine hours away to the big city where some athletes have left the program, not to mention four other girls in the incoming class and then all the assistant coaches are gone … just that overall situation led us to making this decision,” Terry Yeast said.

He emphasized they had “no issues” with Burke.

“I love Becky Burke and she was great with us,” he said. “Yes she was disappointed with our decision. We talked to her about it. It was a huge decision where as a dad and family we just had to realize this might not work out like we thought.”

Timberlynn Yeast had over 20 college scholarship offers when she picked Buffalo and made her only official college visit there. She still has three official visits remaining and has drawn plenty of interest from coaches in the last week.

“It is completely wide open (about her college choice) and has been a crazy week,” Terry Yeast said. “We have been on the phone with some coaches and she has some places and coaches she wants to visit in the next month or so.”

She’s also continuing her rehab so she can be as close to being ready to go as possible when preseason practice starts in the fall. She got cleared by doctors last week to start jogging.

“She is always trying to push the envelope and do more than she should,” her father said. “She is just doing some easy mileage now.”

Timberlynn Yeast can shoot and do basketball drills that do not force her to cut and risk reinjuring the knee.

“She is in the gym shooting quite a bit,” Terry Yeast said. “She has weightlifting class every day and does more upper body work at school and then does her physical therapy after school.

Terry Yeast knows it has been a stressful senior year for his daughter but is confident it will all end well for her.

“We are strong in our faith and know God has a huge plan and that makes it easier,” Terry Yeast said. “The whole transfer portal thing now brings lots of different opportunities at this time of year so I know she will find something that is good for her.”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

“You are talking about sending your 18 year old nine hours away to the big city where some athletes have left the program, not to mention four other girls in the incoming class and then all the assistant coaches are gone … just that overall situation led us to making this decision,” Terry Yeast said.

He emphasized they had “no issues” with Burke.

“I love Becky Burke and she was great with us,” he said. “Yes she was disappointed with our decision. We talked to her about it. It was a huge decision where as a dad and family we just had to realize this might not work out like we thought.”

Nicely written recruiting article.

Wise not to criticize your previous employer when you're looking for a new job.

Edited by bullsbball
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

1. Buffalo as "the big city" is incredible and I'd like to incorporate that into recruiting materials. 

2. The names that parents have given to Gen Z are truly something else. 

I grew up in the Finger Lakes area. When I came to UB, Buffalo was "the big city" to me too 🤣

Just now, UBinMD said:

I grew up in the Finger Lakes area. When I came to UB, Buffalo was "the big city" to me too 🤣

Haha I'm only half joking. Buffalo does indeed have many of the pros (and cons) of a big city, but most students don't experience them stuck in Amherst.

But I actually do think we can use location as an advantage in recruiting. Metro of 1.2 million, two pro sports, world-class art gallery, world-class parks, an amazing lake, burgeoning food and drink, proximity to Toronto and Niagara Falls, Griselda and plenty of other cultural influence that could matter to younger folks. Versus... Kent State. 😂

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Very solid hire. I grew up near Cortland, my sister went to school there. They are very big on athletics there and it's a breeding ground for Phys Ed teachers. Should be a solid addition with HC experience and a sounding board for BB.

28 minutes ago, clodney said:

So where's this smoking gun that was supposed to come out?

It's been pretty quiet since the exodus and the filling of the roster with equal or better talent. Could just be an assistant coach leaving that had the relationships and either promised a future home or poisoned the well just enough. Not sure, but hopefully the new staff will develop the talent we have and start getting the 2024 class into shape.

49 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

It's been pretty quiet since the exodus and the filling of the roster with equal or better talent. Could just be an assistant coach leaving that had the relationships and either promised a future home or poisoned the well just enough. Not sure, but hopefully the new staff will develop the talent we have and start getting the 2024 class into shape.

Do agree. Looks like solid coaching hires and BB has already filled some spots on the roster so she has not been crying woe is me with all that has happened. I for one am going to give this entire team a break instead of having non factual opinions and speculations. But of course that is what we do as fans. What has happened with the transfer mess and with coaches being fired and retiring has changed the entire mindset of players and coaches and has changed the college experience and enjoyment for many of us fans. Will still continue to support our teams and try and enjoy college sports. Go Bulls!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NC_UBfan said:

So baring any enrolment eligibility issues the 2023-2024 roster is set along with the coaching staff. I have no context to compare this years roster to last years I'm new fan of UBWBB. So for those that do what are your thoughts? 

Personally, I think it is a really solid roster. We have a good balance of ball handling and size. I think we have some very good scorers and players that put up crazy numbers in HS and have really good accolades. It feels like we should be an 8-deep roster this year and can go smaller or bigger as necessary. Coach Burke stated last year that Watson was the best player in the MAC (unfortunately we didn't get to see her play as she had to sit out). The two St John's transfers will be interesting to see how they play in the MAC. If Kiara Johnson is healthy, I think she will be a really good piece to the puzzle, she did well early in the season before her injury. I also hope Mashaire stays as I think she will work well as a complimentary piece with this team that the position she was put in last year. I think Alexis Davis may be the best player coming into to the program, but Kirsten Lewis-Williams was 1st team All-State in NC, which is a pretty impressive get. We have some good international flavor as well, which has benefited UBWBB in the past. I am looking forward to seeing the final product. The new Associate HC I think will also bring some needed stability to the staff.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Personally, I think it is a really solid roster. We have a good balance of ball handling and size. I think we have some very good scorers and players that put up crazy numbers in HS and have really good accolades. It feels like we should be an 8-deep roster this year and can go smaller or bigger as necessary. Coach Burke stated last year that Watson was the best player in the MAC (unfortunately we didn't get to see her play as she had to sit out). The two St John's transfers will be interesting to see how they play in the MAC. If Kiara Johnson is healthy, I think she will be a really good piece to the puzzle, she did well early in the season before her injury. I also hope Mashaire stays as I think she will work well as a complimentary piece with this team that the position she was put in last year. I think Alexis Davis may be the best player coming into to the program, but Kirsten Lewis-Williams was 1st team All-State in NC, which is a pretty impressive get. We have some good international flavor as well, which has benefited UBWBB in the past. I am looking forward to seeing the final product. The new Associate HC I think will also bring some needed stability to the staff.

Looking at last years conference record 7-11 was it due to a lack of ability to match up speed/size wise? I see a mention of a injury so I'm guessing depth was a problem as well?

19 minutes ago, NC_UBfan said:

Looking at last years conference record 7-11 was it due to a lack of ability to match up speed/size wise? I see a mention of a injury so I'm guessing depth was a problem as well?

They played a 6 player rotation much of the second half of the season. Lack of size and depth were huge issues

22 minutes ago, rma said:

They played a 6 player rotation much of the second half of the season. Lack of size and depth were huge issues

We had great guards and some scorers. One our guards averaged double figure rebounds (top 5 in the country at her position I believe). Remarkably with the short bench we didn't have a lot of foul trouble in most games. Kiara Johnson was to be our anchor in the paint and she got hurt before conference play. Then our only other bigger player left the team about 3/4 of the way thru conference play (personal reasons). We even had a graduate UB 4-year Volleyball letterwinner join the team just to have some depth and practice assistance. It was rough and they still almost beat a really good BG team in the Conference Tournament, led quarters 1-3, gave it up at the very end.

5 hours ago, NC_UBfan said:

So baring any enrolment eligibility issues the 2023-2024 roster is set along with the coaching staff. I have no context to compare this years roster to last years I'm new fan of UBWBB. So for those that do what are your thoughts? 

Let's just say that it was a very odd season for the coaches and players both on and off the court.   Let's hope for a very quiet off season.