Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

‘23-‘24 Womens Hoops Roster

Jeseph

33 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

From a decommit's parent: Just don’t believe anyone that attempts to throw the girls under the bus.

I do not like that at all.

Assuming that is referring to ppl potentially throwing the decommitting players under the bus?

To me, until someone outside the inner circle has a true idea of what the hell is going on, the players, especially those who never set foot on campus(other than a visit) are not to blame.

• Like 1

Just now, TML1000 said:

Is she even on a staff rn?

Not yet, but I'm sure she will be soon. Same with Coach Foust. It's just such a crazy situation! This may actually be worse that losing a HC, looking for some stability. This past season there was obviously a lot happening behind the scenes. The fact they won as many games as they did is amazing honestly. 

1 hour ago, NC_UBfan said:

From the outside looking in the current roster has depth (12) and size 6 six ft or taller.

I am hopeful the players brought in are solid players and I will be behind them and support them, but the overall optics of this first recruiting class was very bad. We had 7 committed recruits the 2nd week of November, 2 ultimately committed, 5 were released from the NLI and I'm not sure it was all the players doing. We also lost all 3 assistant coaches, granted our Director of Operations moved up a seat into an Assistant Coaching role and we brought on a second assistant. Hopefully this all works out for UB WBB and the 5 young ladies that have to find new homes, but this was not an ideal offseason. 

10 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

UB women's basketball loses five incoming freshmen for 2023-24 season

The article states that Mashaire is also in the transfer portal and that UB made it difficult for the recruits to be released from their NLI. 

Also seems that Lenzi/Buffalo News is trolling this website.

She also metioned Alexis Davis as committing. She is a 6’ G/F out of NJ. Has over 2100 points and 1300 rebounds in her HS career. Seems like the backfill players have upside. Kirsten Lewis-Williams put up over 20 pts last season. 

Not long ago NLI were very difficult to get out of, hence the world Commitment. Now it’s just a joke, even if they come, a bad day in practice and you end up in the portal. 

if this group of 5 end up wherever Dozier or Foust end up, that will interesting. I’m sure some level of tampering occurred if they were the primary recruiters.

3 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Don’t think we’ll be getting anyone from this AAU program while BB is the coach 

The Spectrum article seemed to indicate Foust was the lead recruiter, then all the girls had a “change of heart”. Would expect him to land with a ready made team. College athletics suck 😂😂

The pieces are slowly being put together and eventually the truth will come out. Coaches and players? This is unprecedented. Whatever your thoughts or opinions on NLI’s are, the decision to de-commit as a high school player comes with significant risks and you never want your name associated with it if you can avoid it. Be patient…this wont be brushed under the rug anymore. 

9 hours ago, Ubball said:

The pieces are slowly being put together and eventually the truth will come out. Coaches and players? This is unprecedented. Whatever your thoughts or opinions on NLI’s are, the decision to de-commit as a high school player comes with significant risks and you never want your name associated with it if you can avoid it. Be patient…this wont be brushed under the rug anymore. 

Interesting that the 2 players remaining from the original class are international students, does that play into it at all? Are there visas, etc more difficult to change or anything? Happy to have them, just curious if the process for international players is different. 

As critical as I usually am of Coach Burke, I understand her desire not to have her recruits decommit. So she wasn't releasing them. I don't blame her for that. I'm not sure why the parents feel UB wasn't thinking of the students. Of course they aren't. They are thinking of the school.

Didn't Watson not get released when she transferred. 

I'm sure it's much more common (now) to have schools release players when they want it.

But with 5 players wanting out, it's like putting your finger in the dike.

The interesting question still is why.  And why did all the assistant coaches leave.

Potential fantasy land:

So did the coaches on one year contracts use the incoming recruits as bargaining chips for a new contract? The head coach/university didn't want to play into that, let the coaches go then when the players wanted a release dragged their feet in doing so? 

33 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Potential fantasy land:

So did the coaches on one year contracts use the incoming recruits as bargaining chips for a new contract? The head coach/university didn't want to play into that, let the coaches go then when the players wanted a release dragged their feet in doing so? 

There is also the real possibility that the assist coaches left for another job (Assistant or HC) and a level of tampering occurred to give some recruits the heads up that they are landing somewhere else and come play for me. We will probably never know, but it's a stinky onion no matter how you slice it.

12 hours ago, ub2019 said:

Don’t think we’ll be getting anyone from this AAU program while BB is the coach 

Putting on the tin foil hat for this one:

There is a lot more here under the surface. He only had one player going to UB and is talking about kids? Did he have contact with our other players? Something just doesn't seem right about his statement. 

9 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

There is a lot more here under the surface. He only had one player going to UB and is talking about kids? Did he have contact with our other players? Something just doesn't seem right about his statement. 

I could be wrong, but I believe Ella Weaver and Timberlynn Yeast were "his players". However, to think the 5 of them came to this decision on their own is unlikely. 😀

8 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Haven't been following this saga very closely, but I'm confused about why this guy retweeted something about Buffalo dropping their entire freshman class, and then tweeted something about Buffalo not wanting to release their players. Isn't that contradictory?

2 minutes ago, capencaper said:

Haven't been following this saga very closely, but I'm confused about why this guy retweeted something about Buffalo dropping their entire freshman class, and then tweeted something about Buffalo not wanting to release their players. Isn't that contradictory?

AAU coach doing what he can to spin the best for his girls. One way has to stick right? 🤣

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Potential fantasy land:

Odd only having one year contracts.

Odd that one of the coaches left with only a few weeks left in the season.

Only common factor in all the coaches and players leaving is the coach.

Several things rub me the wrong way with the coach. One being her yelling at least twice in a quiet arena at her players. She was in their face. Then, the whole Ball State hand-shake line incident which I blame on her saying something to Sallee. 

Just way too many issues going on to brush off.

Wish I could decline my women's tickets in protest but they are included in the ticket package.

Edited by bullsbball

4 minutes ago, Ubball said:

Take a look at the amount of players who left after the 2022 season at USC Upstate prior to her taking the job at buffalo

Do you have a link to it? She's still young and I understand intensity, but you need to find a good balance as well. That's why sometimes really good players don't make the best coaches. I am willing to see how this season plays out before passing judgement, but It's been a rough 12 months.